Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Happy to see Disneyland Restaurants getting better (and healthier!)

One of the things that I've noticed over the past ten years is that Disney is doing a very good job improving all of their restaurants at Disneyland. When I worked there in the late 90's, the food overall was pretty poor, with the exception of the Blue Bayou and maybe one or two other places. I worked there when they totally overhauled the Plaza Inn, and it has been exceptional ever since. I used to tell people that the one thing Disney can't seem to figure out is how to make a decent hamburger, but ever since they switched to angus beef on their burgers, they're pretty decent now. The biggest thing though is that they completely redid the Village Haus. There is a cast member window in back of the restaurant where we used to be able to get a personal pizza or a burger for about half the price, and I avoided eating there as much as possible. If I had to get a pizza there, I would get a pile of napkins and almost wring the pizza out like a wet dishrag to get rid of all of the grease. Disney did a pretty good job rennovating that restaurant, and the food is actually edible now.

They've also made some good progress toward making their menus healthier. I love that they've changed french fries to apple slices on a lot of the kids meals, and that they're offering better and more creative options on a lot of their menus. I was very suprised to see an actual vegan option at the Carnation Cafe, and some of the items they are starting to put on their menus now (like fried pickles) are certainly changing the perception of the type of food that you get at a theme park. I've heard that my old manager Gary Magetti is in charge of Disneyland restaurants now, and if that's true, then he's doing a very good job. I think the only restaurants that they still need to improve are Rancho del Zocalo (terrible Mexican food, especially here in southern california with access to such good and authentic ingredients), Pizza Port (it was very good when it first opened, but it seems to have declined over the years), French Market (has some good items, like corn chowder in a bread boulle, but also has some items that need improvement, like their jambalaya), and Hungry Bear Restaurant. I know that there is always going to be a tension between trying to offer healthier items and trying to offer what the guests want, but I think that Disney is definitely making progress toward better and healthier food and I hope that it continues. I think they could really do a lot with the Tahitian Terrace if they decided to bring that back, because there is a lot that you can do with Polynesian food to make it taste good and be healthy for you at the same time (like the grilled veggie skewers that they have at Bengal BBQ).

What changes would you like to make at Disneyland to see their food get heathier / better?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Re: Happy to see Disneyland Restaurants getting better (and healthier!)

the hungry bear was already updated with better food options not too long ago.

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    the hungry bear was already updated with better food options not too long ago.
    Hungry Bear needs to drop the sweet potato fries, that fad has sailed into the sunset.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Hungry Bear needs to drop the sweet potato fries, that fad has sailed into the sunset.
    The sweet potato fries are one of the most popular items on the menu. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    What changes would you like to make at Disneyland to see their food get heathier / better?
    I like the French Market and Blue Bayou, and even the Harbour Galley, but River Belle Terrace and El Zocalo are pretty awful.

In terms of healthy eats, I try to stick to the salads and chicken sandwiches. It would be nice if there was a healthy drink alternative you get in the big cups like soda, such as a low-sugar watermelon juice or something like that.

Zocalo has filtered, cold water available. As does First Aid on Main Street. And any vendor will give you a cup for it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Zocalo has filtered, cold water available. As does First Aid on Main Street. And any vendor will give you a cup for it.
    Nice, didn't know that. I'm thinking of something a little bit more, like a non-alcoholic juice spritzer made with water and diluted juice, after all, a lot of juice has as many calories as soda. Something with a little bit of taste, but "light" like gatorade like products.

The sad fact is that Coke sponsors Disney and they axed some water fountains in Toontown, and they probably don't want guests drinking water or even having it as an option . . .

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I worked at several restaurants in the park in the 1970's and the early 80's, including the legendary Tahitian Terrace and my last four years in the New Orleans Main Kitchen (subterranean/underground, surrounded by several POTC scenes at the lower level). I cooked for all the major eateries in the area except for Club 33, which was above us.

We all did the very best with what we had to work with at the time, but I can honestly say that the product quality and the training was not the same as what I understand it to be today. I was a lead dinner cook when i left, but I had no formal training. We worked under talented chefs, but I would dare say the product you are getting today is better overall than what you were getting then.

Still I am proud of the food I made and of the fact that I was able to enhance the guest experience, something we always took seriously. Even then.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    The fad may have passed, but my love has not. Long live sweet potato fries!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The sweet potato fries are one of the most popular items on the menu. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
    Bleck....
    Name:  nausea.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  9.4 KB

This is how a sweet potato should be:
    Name:  sp.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  10.8 KB

Other than that is a crime of nature.

They took out the fountains in ToonTown???? That stinks. But all the food vendors will give you tap water.

The type of drink you suggest is harder to commoditize, so I think it's unlikely to show up any time soon. If they do anything like it, it will be full of artificial sweet and corn syrup, so still not healthy. Because those are what they're used to using.

CamelBak backpacks are handy for bringing your own water/juice mix to the parks. Plus you can carry a bit of stuff in it!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I understand some people do enjoy sweet potato fries, and I am ok with DL serving them. But they should also serve regular french fries too. I won't eat at HB because they only offer sweet potato fries and I don't like them. They should give us a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    I understand some people do enjoy sweet potato fries, and I am ok with DL serving them. But they should also serve regular french fries too. I won't eat at HB because they only offer sweet potato fries and I don't like them. They should give us a choice.
    Yes.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

That looks completely nasty.
    Last edited by doppio; 04-21-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post

That look completely nasty.
    But delicious.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast