Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• All-American

Re: Fast Pass Ratio to Stand by out of control?

I used to work a popular attraction in WDW with similar popularity. As others have said, these cast members were doing their job correctly, but there's more to it than that. Cast Members are indeed expected to maintain a ratio of standby to FastPass and it typically runs 1:4. Usually something like 25 standby after 100 FastPasses (we actually had rewards for CMs that could get an exact ratio most often). But that ratio can increase substantially, with CMs getting new ratio instructions from managers based on projected crowd levels. That 1:4 can climb to 1:4, 1:6, 1:8, and the ungodly 1:10. You do NOT want to be merging the line that lets in 10 standby guests after every 100 FastPasses. We did have CMs frequently threatened, spat upon, and in one case assaulted (pushed down).

This had some interesting ramifications on wait times. The average time on a slow day for this particular ride was 40-50 minutes. Never over an hour on its own. If the projected crowd levels nudged over a certain point, the merge ratio was doubled and the wait time would suddenly be 70-80 minutes. Next merge ratio after that, 110-120 minutes. Even if I wasn't working merge point that day, I could always tell the merge ratio by the length of the standby line.

One final tidbit: the assigned merge ratio also impacts the number of Fastpasses distributed. If the merge ratio is doubled, the number of FastPasses is doubled accordingly, and the Standby loading speed is therefore cut in half. The idea is that regardless of crowd level, even on the busiest day of the year, FastPass distribution would last til noon, so guests walking in at noon could still get a FastPasses. Even if means letting in giving away 90% of your line in the form of FastPasses.

Moral of the story: merge ratio affects everything. If Disney ever decides to address the problem with its standby line stops, they should simply permanently lower the merge ratio and give out less FastPasses, running out by noon be d@mned. Let guests get up early. Even if the ratio were 1:2, 10 standby for every 20 FastPasses, standby would still be loading twice as fast as it would be on the average day right now.

• Former Churro Jockey

I noticed this too last time I was in line for RSR. I think the probably is exacerbated there because it's the most popular ride in the park right now. It's the only time I've ever seen people in the fastpass line have to wait for about 20 min or so BEFORE they get to the merge point. I've seen it here and there on other rides too like Star Tours and Toy Story. So there are a few things that Disney can do to address that. They could reconfigure the lines so that the fastpass and standby lines never merge. That probably wouldn't be too hard to do because almost every ride at Disney loads two ride vehicles at a time. The easier, and cheaper thing to do would be to reduce the number of fastpasses. I know that a lot of people would probably be upset if they made fastpass something that was exclusive to hotel guests, but actually I think that it would benefit everyone if they had a dramatic reduction in fastpasses and limited them only to a certain demographic, like people staying at an onsite Disney hotel. The standby lines would be longer, but they would move considerably faster. The park in general would be less crowded because more people would be standing in line rather than walking around the park and spending time in a shop or a restaurant. Of course, what I'd really like to see is for fastpass go to away altogether, but I know that at this point Disney has spent too much money on them and so unfortunately I've resigned myself to the fact that it is here to stay.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by javalos1991 View Post
    You will probably hate me for saying this but why doesn't Disney sell the Fastpass as a perk? Kind of like the FLASH PASS at Six Flags? You pay a flat rate, you get on any ride with fastpass availability. It would decrease (I hope) the amount of people in the fastpass line, which would increase the loading amount for stand-by.
    I think Disney should make the FP an additional thing. Even with the time enforcement the FP line still slows down the wait times.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Team Hail HYDRA

^and let APs have an unlimited amount for ever

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    They could implement a FP perk for AP's based on which pass they have.

As someone who remembers the world before FP, it's time to get rid of them. I waited for two hours, in the summer, for PotC back in the 70's. They can get in line like the rest of us. Time to kiss FP goodbye
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    As someone who remembers the world before FP, it's time to get rid of them. I waited for two hours, in the summer, for PotC back in the 70's. They can get in line like the rest of us. Time to kiss FP goodbye
    POTC was also less than 10 years old in the 70s. And I do remember those days too. Today though it is a rarity for the POTC line to get that big, even when that ride hasn't taken fast passes for quite a few years now (in fact probably the same number of years that POTC was in existence for during the 70s).

I was a little worried about this issue back in February when I had a FP for Soring. One half of the ride was shut down and the stand by time was about 90 minutes. I don't think I spent more then 15 minutes waiting and I sure did feel a little guilty.

It also seems to me that FP enforcement times are less then effective. I was at the parks yesterday and I didn't even bother using my FP for Star Tours when I saw the FP line nearly extending to the hub....again.
    "Nice work, pal"

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    I remember waiting in line for rides when in the early to mid-90's before the FP system came about. It was easier to get on rides even then, imo. There should just be the plain, old-fashioned standby line and be done with it.

• Minion

was Haunted Mansion Holiday different with and without fastpass.? last year

• Minion

Do I enjoy Fastpass? No, cus it stops the standby line.

example, I was the last standby person to get on Goofy sky school and the people behind me was still waiting in line once i got off the goofy ride.

•   
    • Minion

Fastpass is what makes the park doable for me. I remember those lines (at WDW mostly_. They were miserable. Going to the parks meant hot, sunny days and hot, long, waits on endless lines. Standing and shuffling along an endless queue, sweating and staring at the back of other guests' heads...I remember actually telling my mom that I wanted to go back to the hotel and spend the afternoon swimming because I couldn't take any more lines on one particular trip.

Fastpass is available to everyone, so I don't know why someone would choose to wait two hours instead of taking advantage of it, unless they are out of FPs for the day...

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post

Yes please! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I've been saying this for years, however, I experienced the negative side of this as well at Universal's Halloween Horror Nights. They were sold out of front of the line passes, and one of the mazes we waited for literally had our wait time doubled due to front of the line passers. They would let 2-5 stand by guests in and empty the front of the liners (between 10-30) guests. they wouldn't let the front-of-the-line holders wait at all. The employee at the merge point felt bad, but he had to do it because they had paid more than us.

It frustrated me because I had already paid a ton of money to enjoy the event, and it seemed wrong that my ticket price didn't matter much because somebody else paid more. And it was also frustrating because I was willing to pay more so I could get things done, but it wasn't available to me.

Paying for the extra feature does decrease the numbers slightly, but it also adds to entitlement. I just wish we could go back to the idea of: if you want to ride this ride/eat at this restaurant/shop at this store, then you have to get in line like everybody else.
    I think it would be different in this case because the rides/attractions at Disney are there year round, as for HHN, its seasonal.

• Evil is Sexy

I don't mind Fastpasses. We often will pick a few rides to get FP's for and then plan around the timeframe given. We also sometimes just stand in the regular stand-by line. They are an option to be taken or not. I don't get mad when the FP'ers get to go ahead of us at a higher ratio. They took the time to go and reserve that time to return to get on the ride. *shrugs*
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast