Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Fast Pass Ratio to Stand by out of control?

The stand-by time is solely dependent on how long the last person in line is willing to wait. If someone doesn't want to wait an hour for an attraction, then he doesn't get in the one-hour-wait line.
    One's tolerance for waiting is based on: repetitive quality of attraction, estimated number of days until next visit to the park, and overall social changes in patience.

The length of the stand-by queue for a specific wait time is dependent on the FP:stand-by ratio and the number of FP returnees during the wait.

Source: Operations and Logistics thoughts unfiltered from my head.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I haven't seen a Fastpass for TSMM here in DCA since late March. Maybe it is just not active on the days I've been.
    TSMM had a FP?

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I did. The standby time was much shorter without the fastpass. If one needs another example, look at Midway Mania here and in Florida. The line is much shorter here because there is no fastpass.
    Yeah, you are right. I didn't wait longer than 20-25min for Haunted Mansion Holiday last year. When I visited in previous years with the FP the wait time crept up close to 45min.

If TSMM gets a FP I probably won't ever waste my time riding again. It has a 45-50min wait on average without the FP.

Once I was using a Splash Mountain fast pass and while going through the line next to the standby line which was full, a young boy practically screamed at me and my then bf, "Why are you cutting in line???". He said it in such a menacing way I was put out of sorts a bit. And then I calmly exclaimed on my way past him that we had fast passes...so I guess there are still people who are unaware of their existence. Granted he was about pre-teen age.

I've never gotten offended while waiting in the standby lines for attractions at the fast pass users because it's an option open to anybody and I don't expect people to scream at me for using something that they can be a part of as well...although clearly it happens anyway. Besides, as a rule for me personally and usually the group I go with, if a standby line is more than 40 minutes at most we skip or use single rider. And no, we don't try to sit together on the ride when we do that. Since I'm going on the ride to ride the ride and not to chat with people besides me, it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference to me.

I feel horrible for the CMs that are getting abused and while I suppose I can't be too surprised, are any of these guests who are spitting/cursing at/assaulting the cms getting any type of repercussions for doing so? I would hope so.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walt Disney

• Disney Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It is a single rider line, not a single waiting line.

Big difference.

Derek Zoolander: What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?
    Mugatu: Derek, this is just a small...
    Derek Zoolander: I don't wanna hear your excuses! The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!

I dont know why what you wrote made me think of this quote... but it did. lol

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Yeah, you are right. I didn't wait longer than 20-25min for Haunted Mansion Holiday last year. When I visited in previous years with the FP the wait time crept up close to 45min.

If TSMM gets a FP I probably won't ever waste my time riding again. It has a 45-50min wait on average without the FP.
    funny when I went to HmH on a Monday night it was consistanly 70mins without FP the next week it was back down to normal 45 mins with FP. I think it just depends on peoples personal experiences. Same with tsmm in Orlando I have never waited longer than 45 mins for it and it has FP. The one here is consistantly 45-60 mins without FP. All I know is since FP has been introduced I have been able to experience more attractions in the course of my days at the parks I love the system and don't see a flaw to it at all. I don't miss the 2 hour space mountain lines.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not really. It is a virtual place holder. It holds your place on line while you do other things. In that way, it is kind of like a reservation in that a reservation holds a table for you until it is time for you to sit down. They differ in the fact that a table reservation allows you to select your own time for your table where a fastpass assigns you a time.
    It may be billed by some as a virtual place holder, but it doesn't act that way. A virtual place holder would imply that as soon as you return during your hour time slot (i.e., when you're "next" in line), you will be immediately seated. The same would go for a dinner reservation. I think my shorter line analogy is more appropriate because...that's what it is in the real world.

I don't know how long the return line was, but RSR seems to have a lot of downtimes. Maybe the ride broke down earlier and to prevent any kind of build up of the FP return, the Cast Member as sending through a higher volume of FP return.

But I have also seen Cast Members who doesn't seem to use common sense on how to balance the whole FP / Stand By ratio. Even though Cast Members are trained on the ratio, everyone does it their own way. I have also gotten the impression many times of Cast Member who like to feel as though they are in control of the Guests at this point. If they want to make the Guests wait, they make them wait because they have the "power" to do so.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    It may be billed by some as a virtual place holder, but it doesn't act that way.
    Billed by some? You mean billed by Disney. They are the ones who explain the fastpass as a place holder. That is what they designed the system for.

A virtual place holder would imply that as soon as you return during your hour time slot (i.e., when you're "next" in line), you will be immediately seated. The same would go for a dinner reservation. I think my shorter line analogy is more appropriate because...that's what it is in the real world.
    You aren't seated immediately for a dinner reservation either.

As far as the shorter line you speak of, that is just a tool to make the place holding system work. If the other line weren't there, those who had their place held in line would have to, "excuse me" their way through the main line until they reached the front where their virtual place is.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I have also gotten the impression many times of Cast Member who like to feel as though they are in control of the Guests at this point. If they want to make the Guests wait, they make them wait because they have the "power" to do so.
    I find it's usually not best to judge a person till you've walked a mile in their shoes. Like the people who are aggressive toward cast members at merge points, you're making the classic mistake of assuming that because a person is doing something you don't like, it must reflect poorly on who they are. In fact, they're often just doing their best under the circumstances.

If you see a cast member at an attraction's merge point holding all the queues, they are probably waiting for an established "buffer zone" to clear up ahead. Most FastPass attractions have such an area. If you start filling in that area, it begins to overflow, which creates problems.

At a merge position, the average cast member is paying attention to FastPass/Standby ratio, the total rate at which guests are passing them, the rate at which the attraction is loading, how full their buffer zone is, and how long their FastPass queue is (among other things). Meanwhile, the average guest is paying attention to exactly one thing: their own progress toward the loading area. It's human nature. But the thing you need to understand is that the cast member is simultaneously juggling the needs of thousands of guests, not just yours. And what you view as an ego-tripping power display may just be an underpaid college student doing the job she's been trained to do.

Then again, certain cast members are jerks, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    I find it's usually not best to judge a person till you've walked a mile in their shoes. Like the people who are aggressive toward cast members at merge points, you're making the classic mistake of assuming that because a person is doing something you don't like, it must reflect poorly on who they are. In fact, they're often just doing their best under the circumstances.

Then again, certain cast members are jerks, so who knows.
    *sigh* Oh, I have walked a mile in their shoes so I know how FastPass works. I have worked at a number of FP attractions since .. well, just after FastPass was first introduced at Disneyland. By having done so, I have come across different types of Cast Members and their personalities. And like I previously posted, everyone does it differently.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    funny when I went to HmH on a Monday night it was consistanly 70mins without FP the next week it was back down to normal 45 mins with FP. I think it just depends on peoples personal experiences. Same with tsmm in Orlando I have never waited longer than 45 mins for it and it has FP. The one here is consistantly 45-60 mins without FP. All I know is since FP has been introduced I have been able to experience more attractions in the course of my days at the parks I love the system and don't see a flaw to it at all. I don't miss the 2 hour space mountain lines.
    Same here. When HMH didn't have Fastpass the line was well over an hour and I didn't even attempt to ride. With Fastpass it was down to 40 - 30 minutes.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
    I always felt that enforcing the FP return times would actually increase the wait times. Without the open return window, a FP now is a "use it or lose it" commodity. With the old system, I'm sure many people ended up with unused FPs at the end of the day. Now it's likely that people carefully watch the return times and use the majority of the FPs issued each day.
    AMEN!

We just got back from a visit to DLR and there was no improvement in standby lines at all. Enforcing times has done nothing to shorten wait times.

And for those who think it would be better to get rid of FP altogether - ha! I remember those 2-3 hr. lines for Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain before FP - No thank you.

It may be billed by some as a virtual place holder, but it doesn't act that way. A virtual place holder would imply that as soon as you return during your hour time slot (i.e., when you're "next" in line), you will be immediately seated. The same would go for a dinner reservation. I think my shorter line analogy is more appropriate because...that's what it is in the real world.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Another idea: have FP return times start at noon or 2PM. So all morning long, it's just standby queues.
    From what I've seen (at Disneyland anyway), now that FP times are being enforced, most people don't take a FP for rides in the morning because there is already minimal wait and if they take a FP at 8:05 it will have an early return time and will be of no use to them because the lines will still be minimal then. FP were not being snatched up in the morning hours during our visit this past weekend.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast