Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Fast Pass Ratio to Stand by out of control?

Guests should be able to pick their own return time, subject to restrictions on total number of returns per attraction per hour.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I see a lot of people advocating a "no fast pass" policy. Here's the problem with that (and the REAL reason fast passes were implemented in the first place). When people are standing in line for 120+ minutes, do you know what they are NOT doing? Spending money. The Fast Pass is about a bottom line and nothing less. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. Fast Pass isn't going anywhere regardless of the complaints.

As to those that get frustrated for having to wait in the standby line, here is a hint: get a fast pass or stop complaining. Didn't get there early enough? Whose fault is that? It amazes me that people will complain about fast passes running out too early but somehow decide that they'd rather show up at the park on their own schedule and then waste 2 and a half hours in line rather then getting to the park an hour earlier and spending 15 minutes in a fast pass line (for RSR) and then another 30 in the actual Fast Pass queue. Hate long lines. Then do something to avoid them or zip it.

I remember the first time I ever rode Space Mountain (I want to say it was in 1982-3) We stood in line for over 3 hours. That's not a good situation for ANYONE.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Billed by some? You mean billed by Disney. They are the ones who explain the fastpass as a place holder. That is what they designed the system for.

You aren't seated immediately for a dinner reservation either.

As far as the shorter line you speak of, that is just a tool to make the place holding system work. If the other line weren't there, those who had their place held in line would have to, "excuse me" their way through the main line until they reached the front where their virtual place is.
    Billed by some, including Disney and you. I think we can both agree that Disney doesn't always do what they say, and vice versa. And, well, you're the one who suggested the dinner reservation. I'm not sure where this is really going because it seems we mostly agree, but with different terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    AMEN!

We just got back from a visit to DLR and there was no improvement in standby lines at all. Enforcing times has done nothing to shorten wait times.
    But it probably is shortening wait times, during those last few hours of the operating day, as well as after parades, etc. now that you no longer have all those expired passes showing up during those times. Unless they're increasing the number of passes, which I doubt. it shouldn't effect wait times either way. And the idea that by narrowing the return time to just the hour will make more people use their passes doesn't make any sense. You're saying that making it less flexible, more people will use them?
    I'm also hearing a lot of anecdotal evidence here. "I went to the park and the lines were just as long as they were before". And you know this how? Did you do a study of something? Are you taking other things into consideration like the fact that the park may just be busier? It's the most popular theme park frachise in the world. I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting that the enforcement would turn every attraction into a straight walk on.
    Maybe HMH has a shorter line now than it did with FastPass, but that doesn't mean that it's because it no longer has it. It could be that the novelty of the makeover has diminished over that last 11 years.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyrand1 View Post
    I see a lot of people advocating a "no fast pass" policy. Here's the problem with that (and the REAL reason fast passes were implemented in the first place). When people are standing in line for 120+ minutes, do you know what they are NOT doing? Spending money. The Fast Pass is about a bottom line and nothing less. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise.
    If the whole point of FastPass is to make money then why don't they just do what the other parks do and sell a front of the line pass? I bet you they could sell them for $100 a piece and easily exhaust their supply. On a busy day, with, say, 70,000 guest, you could sell 7,000, leaving 90% of the guest still using standby. That would be over a half a million dollars a day, and you wouldn't have to spend the millions on the machines, the distribution stations, the cast members to staff the station, collect the passes, etc.
    See, that's why I don't buy that it is just about making money. It's a response the the number one complain they always get: That is was too crowded, and the lines were too long.
    You might as well say that "Walt didn't build the parks for you to have fun! The primary goal was to make money! He didn't make Snow White to entertain you! He made it to generate money to build the studio in Burbank."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    But it probably is shortening wait times, during those last few hours of the operating day, as well as after parades, etc. now that you no longer have all those expired passes showing up during those times.
    That's been my experience. Space Mountain and Star Tours in particular have been so much easier at night.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I'm also hearing a lot of anecdotal evidence here. "I went to the park and the lines were just as long as they were before". And you know this how? Did you do a study of something? Are you taking other things into consideration like the fact that the park may just be busier?
    Of course I am going off of my experience. That is what anyone here is going off of. I don't need a study to tell me what lines were like in the pre-FP days, I stood in them often enough to know. The same now with time enforcement. If it is making a difference it isn't noticeable to me. And, yes, I take into consideration how busy the parks are. On this last trip there were some very busy days and then some moderate days (like this past Monday). Space Mountain was down, so I can't attest to that. FP lines for Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Screamin', TOT, Soarin', and RSR were the same length if not longer than usual and wait times on all those attractions were what we've seen in similar attendance times over the past year when FP times were not enforced. And I do think time enforcement brings with it more of a determination to use your pass. It did for us.

I don't think people thought that it was going to create walk-ons either, but there certainly was an attitude that it would make a large impact, a very noticeable difference, and I have not seen that.

• The Pumpkin King

I see a lot of people advocating a "no fast pass" policy. Here's the problem with that (and the REAL reason fast passes were implemented in the first place). When people are standing in line for 120+ minutes, do you know what they are NOT doing? Spending money. The Fast Pass is about a bottom line and nothing less. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. Fast Pass isn't going anywhere regardless of the complaints.

As to those that get frustrated for having to wait in the standby line, here is a hint: get a fast pass or stop complaining. Didn't get there early enough? Whose fault is that? It amazes me that people will complain about fast passes running out too early but somehow decide that they'd rather show up at the park on their own schedule and then waste 2 and a half hours in line rather then getting to the park an hour earlier and spending 15 minutes in a fast pass line (for RSR) and then another 30 in the actual Fast Pass queue. Hate long lines. Then do something to avoid them or zip it.

I remember the first time I ever rode Space Mountain (I want to say it was in 1982-3) We stood in line for over 3 hours. That's not a good situation for ANYONE.
    I agree

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    As someone who remembers the world before FP, it's time to get rid of them. I waited for two hours, in the summer, for PotC back in the 70's. They can get in line like the rest of us. Time to kiss FP goodbye
    You know I used to not have a cell phone...internet...video game system...I lived without those better get rid of those too....

Anyway yes I agree that ratio seems out of whack....should be more fair....heck I'd say even 40/60 of 30/70 would be more fair

• Tourist

And the idea that by narrowing the return time to just the hour will make more people use their passes doesn't make any sense. You're saying that making it less flexible, more people will use them?
    It makes perfect sense to me, and I believe that is exactly what is happening.

When the FP return times weren't enforced, it was easy to collect FPs during the day. With a pocket full of FPs with no set return times, they could be considered simply a convenient option. You may or may not use them, based on how your day progressed. There was no pressure to keep track of the various return times. I bet many families typically ended the day with a number of unused FPs.

Now that the FPs need to be used within a certain time frame, guests are much more likely to see each FP as a perishable opportunity to avoid a long line. It's "use it or lose it", and people are much more likely to monitor the return times and use each FP.

• Rock Star Minion

Paul Pressler caught posting on MiceChat!!

Yeah, that was the idea back when FastPass was first sold to management and then implemented.

People aren't likely spending money. They're more likely in some other queue making the wait longer for everyone behind them. Quick question: what do you do when you are waiting for your FastPass return time?

Did someone force you to wait in that Space Mountain line? At gunpoint or something (that was before security checkpoints)? That sounds awful. You should have avoided that line. Or, you know, zip it.
    I wouldn't have waited that long back then. I'd probably go on an off-season day with a half-off ticket from a large corporation's employees' club. Yeah, lots of things have changed since those days. FastPass is one of them.

As for longer lines in the past: people sucked it up and waited. They don't do that anymore. When the average day's crowd is half AP'ers who can wait until another day to experience a particular attraction, wait times will drop. Back when it was a once-a-summer trip for 95% of the guests, you'd wait in the queue or you wouldn't ride it until next year.
    So, people have changed. That is a bigger difference than anything operational.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567