Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Loves Disney

Fast Pass Ratio to Stand by out of control?

Was visiting the resort today and my girlfriend and I while waiting for Radiator Springs Racers single rider and noticed and felt the tension of standby riders getting really aggravated and even to the point of complaining that the cm controlling the Fast Pass line and single rider line was letting large amounts of Fast pass through and hardly any standby riders. My gf and I counted at one point 75 fast pass holders at one point and then only 15 standby people. Then we realized we weren't the only people talking about it about 4 other groups in our single rider line were talking on how crazy it was on the ratio of Fast pass and standby. At one point when the cm tried to stop the standby line people said heck no and just kept on turning the corner. My question after this lengthy story is do you feel that at certain times or possibly cm's that they let the ratio of FP to standby go crazy. Would love to hear some opinions on this topic

• The doctor is in

Re: Fast Pass Ratio to Stand by out of control?

We had hoped that the FP line would have improved when the return times started being enforced. I don't think we took single rider into consideration, though.

In my opinion there should be a set standard for CM's to follow regarding the FP/single rider to standby ratio. I noticed it on my last trip to Disneyland when I was in line for Splash Mountain. The CM's would let about 30-35 FP guests through while only letting in about 5-10 standby guests. It made me really irritated. That isn't the only time I have noticed it, too. I noticed it while in line for RSR as well.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

•   
    • Minion

I think it depends on the cms but I notice this too. I am sure they have some sort of policy on how they are supposed to control this. It seems to have gotten worse over the past couple of visits though in my experience.

• Loves Disney

I am glad I am not the only one that noticed or experienced it. My only concern is the safety of the cm because today it almost got to the point where I thought a male guest was getting ready to either throw something or hit the cm controlling the line. We did hear a few people as they walked by the cm calling him names and using profanity saying about bleeping time. I understand Fastpass is a option for those who want to use it when available but at the same time I remember the passes do say there is no immediate boarding guarantee. I would say a Line for example of 60 mins standby with a fastpass you could expect maybe a 15 to 20 min wait but the majority of myself using fastpass I never waited more than 5 mins. I wonder how many complaints do quest services get a day?

It's roughly 80-20 so 80 fp guest to every 20 regular. Remember typically the fp guest has waited several virtual hr's to the standby actual hours.

My last time on RSR a few weeks ago, I felt exactly this same frustration. From the last building of standby just as it goes straight to the FP/SB junction, four complete sets of FP groups were let by before we made that short stretch of line. At this point, you've waited in standby an hour so you're really amped to get on the ride, but FP after FP just races on through and then a dozen standbys if you're lucky. It's tough to take.

•   

Cast members at all FastPass attractions are expected to give priority to the FastPass queue, typically by allowing about three or four times as many guests through. If they dont do this, FastPass isn't fast. So far, all the posts in this thread have described cast members doing their jobs correctly.

If it makes you feel better, remember that lines only form because people are willing to wait in them. If an attraction's Standby line is moving more quickly, the cast member at the entrance should reduce the posted wait time. This results in guests entering the line at a higher rate, which sends the wait time right back up again. In the end, the average wait time is about the same. The equilibrium point does shift, but not by a lot.

every ride has always been like this with FP at a 3x ratio over standby. if it were not, the FP line would get as long as the stand by lines for certain rides and would entirely defeat the purpose of a "fast" pass. not surprisingly, enforcing fp times doesn't really make a difference, it just reduces the variances of when ppl show up. keep in mind that every FPer blew 30 mins in the morning to get those FPs instead of hitting up empty rides, and had to literally plan their day around when their RSR timeslot was. single rider line makes zero difference to the stand by wait - they take up the slots that would otherwise go empty.

you can dislike the FP system in general (and many ppl in fact do), but the way it's done in RSR is consistent with how it's done in every other ride.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    Cast members at all FastPass attractions are expected to give priority to the FastPass queue, typically by allowing about three or four times as many guests through. If they dont do this, FastPass isn't fast. So far, all the posts in this thread have described cast members doing their jobs correctly.

If it makes you feel better, remember that lines only form because people are willing to wait in them. If an attraction's Standby line is moving more quickly, the cast member at the entrance should reduce the posted wait time. This results in guests entering the line at a higher rate, which sends the wait time right back up again. In the end, the average wait time is about the same. The equilibrium point does shift, but not by a lot.
    Yup agreed! I've said something similar before in a thread about Fastpass enforcement. Wait times will always be constant. People will see the wait time for an attraction and determine if that wait time is worth it. Changing the Fastpass ratio will not make a significant change to the wait times; it'll just change the number of people waiting in the standby line. If CMs let less Fastpass holders in, there will be more people in the standby line but it'll feel like you're making significant progress through the line. If CMs let more Fastpass holders in, there will be less people in the standby line but it'll feel like you're making less progress through the line. More than anything it'll have a psychological effect. Time will always be constant. Like CMinParadise said, changing the ratio of one line will only equalize the other line.

• Selfie Expert

My thoughts are that FP are like reservations. You go back at that time, you get "seated" on the ride. If you just show up without reservations, you might have to wait longer, and prior goes to those who made reservations.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• 2 shots on the rocks.

It's funny...so many people said wait times would improve greatly once FP times were enforced.

• Minion

I feel the same way. Every time we're in line, it feels like it takes ten to fifteen minutes before we start moving again. I'm exaggerating, of course, but it really does take a while for lines to move.

• Tourist

Since the beginning of the FastPass system, people in the standby line have complained about waiting. I think it's the same for every FP attraction.

I always felt that enforcing the FP return times would actually increase the wait times. Without the open return window, a FP now is a "use it or lose it" commodity. With the old system, I'm sure many people ended up with unused FPs at the end of the day. Now it's likely that people carefully watch the return times and use the majority of the FPs issued each day.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    It's funny...so many people said wait times would improve greatly once FP times were enforced.
    This.

And I've noticed at times the actual standby wait is linger than what is posted. I've experienced similar situations at ST as well (I have never waited standby for RSR)

I think this is being done deliberately to be honest. MyMagic + is looming on the horizon. Disney knows most DLR guests are not supportive of this. By manipulating the current situation to where guests will think MM+ will improve things, or by making it to where it is perceived that fast passes takes priority, they are creating a situation where MM+ will be more welcome once it does roll out. And perhaps they will get more DLR guests to buy into it.

I have always been under the impression that the Fastpass system would not reduce stand by wait times. As another poster mentioned above regardless of the number of people who have FP's, the same number of people are going to go on the ride.

Let's say 5000 people go on Racers in a single day, but 1000 of those people have FP's and return in stages throughout the day. 4000 will crawl through the standby line as those other 1000 show up at their time slots. There still are 5000 people that need to go on the ride, and the only advantage is that all 5000 didn't wait in line at the same time.

The FP system doesn't really give any advantage to any other than the FP ticket holder, which, yes is unfortunate to the folks stuck in the standby line, but if there was no FP system, they would have to wait the same amount of time anyways. I'm sure the Annual Passholder demographic has a slightly better understanding of how the system works, but those day guests who have saved up thousands of dollars to visit the resort probably don't appreciate being forced to watch dozens of FP holders skip past them to the front of the line. I know the resort used to have literature available at the ticket booths describing how the FP system worked, and I hope they would continue to give out that information to people who have bought their park-hopper tickets.
    "Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding. Perhaps you sense a disquieting metamorphosis occurring? Is this room actually stretching, or is it your imagination?"

- I think we all know where this is from

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast