The Civilized Way to Tour Disneyland

Walt Disney intended for Disneyland to be the equivalent of a fine restaurant or a fine hotel.

What can Disneyland do to raise the facilities and services it offers to that level?

And, what, specifically, do you do to make use of the existing facilities and services Disneyland offers?

Re: The Civilized Way to Tour Disneyland

I do not understand the reason Disney does not offer more comfortable and enclosed lounges to guests. The lobbies of the Disney Animation pavillion at D.C.A. and Disney's Grand Californian Hotel always seem to get use because people like spending time in these spaces.

Disney could instantly and inexpensively increase its capacity by offering more of these "attractions".

When I visit Disneyland, I usually stop at as many restaurants as possible and just order a drink. In that way, I can spend time relaxing with the other members of my party and really absorb the experience.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-20-2006 at 07:14 PM.

The restrooms at Disneyland offer all sorts of opportunities.

The average Disneyland guest uses restrooms three times during each visit, so there are three chances for Disney to exceed expectations right there.

Cleanliness is one of the most oft-cited reasons guests visit Disney theme parks, and nowhere is this sanitary environment more important than in the restrooms.

Guests are, essentially, getting a preview of the conditions in which Disney maintains its hotel facilities, through these lavatories, as well.

A sponsor of some sort might even be interested in attaching itself to the project so that Disneyland is able to offer the niceties that people expect from hotels and restaurants. Managers of an establishment certainly convey the opinion they have of their patrons through their restrooms.

Disney needs to also design the restrooms in a more theatrical way so as to better maintain the believability of the areas in which the facilities are situated. Something akin to a Turkish bath would help preserve the convincingness of Adventureland, for example, while a sanitarium might enhance Main Street, U.S.A.

Unfortunately, most Disneyland lavatories are not "themed" very well, at the moment. Hopefully, this situation may change with the involvement of a sponsor.

At one time not that long ago, Disneyland offered complimentary reservations, on Main Street, U.S.A., for specific shows.

Complimentary show reservations should return in some form.

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    The restrooms at Disneyland offer all sorts of opportunities.

The average Disneyland guest uses restrooms three times during each visit, so there are three chances for Disney to exceed expectations right there.

Cleanliness is one of the most oft-cited reasons guests visit Disney theme parks, and nowhere is this sanitary environment more important than in the restrooms.

Guests are, essentially, getting a preview of the conditions in which Disney maintains its hotel facilities, through these lavatories, as well.

A sponsor of some sort might even be interested in attaching itself to the project so that Disneyland is able to offer the niceties that people expect from hotels and restaurants. Managers of an establishment certainly convey the opinion they have of their patrons through their restrooms.

Disney needs to also design the restrooms in a more theatrical way so as to better maintain the believability of the areas in which the facilities are situated. Something akin to a Turkish bath would help preserve the convincingness of Adventureland, for example, while a sanitarium might enhance Main Street, U.S.A.

Unfortunately, most Disneyland lavatories are not "themed" very well, at the moment. Hopefully, this situation may change with the involvement of a sponsor.
    I went to the restrooms in Toontown yesterday (only out of necessity... I try not to go at the park), and it was disgusting. It was very dark, and not ventilated at all, and SMELLLLLLLED.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Walt Disney intended for Disneyland to be the equivalent of a fine restaurant or a fine hotel.

What can Disneyland do to raise the facilities and services it offers to that level?

And, what, specifically, do you do to make use of the existing facilities and services Disneyland offers?
    That's easy. Raise prices to a level that would price out any riff-raff or others that don't fully appreciate that level of refinement.

Which makes me question the validity of your opening statement ..... I've heard from several sources that Walt wanted Disneyland for more than just the upper-class ...... why cater to that element (beyond things like Club 33 and special events)?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Minion

In a few words, clean up after yourselves!

For decades DL had a reputation for cleanliness and it was often thought that the janitorial staff was mainly responsible for the squeaky clean appearance in the park.

Restrooms were impeccably clean no matter what area of the park you went, you didn't see trash on the ground but that was only part of the experience.

Guests once had respect and consideration for its appearance. Now the attitude seems to be that they paid for the experience, itís somebodyís elseís job to make it perfect.

In a nutshell, during the days of transatlantic travel in the í50s through the early í70s it used to be common courtesy to leave the toilet in the same state you entered it. Wipe the seat with a bit of paper before flushing, use the paper towel to wipe the basin and fixtures after using it. By the í80s and the jumbo jets and cheap tickets it became a mess. I remember one flight on a 747 where the crew locked a toilet because it became so disgusting.

In the past 15 - 20 years Iíve walked into numerous restroom in many different places and itís obvious that someone deliberately made a real mess just to be obnoxious.