Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• "I don't like the color"

Re: What is it about theme parks that supposedly makes originality not an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Hmm that Mystic Manor in China seems a pretty original ride that WED made.

I guess they aren't completely out of ideas yet

Though I suppose the ride system and 'haunted mansion' type ride could be argued as 'not original'.

Depends on your definition of 'originality'
    To be fair, the ride system is the trackless system of which Disneyland Resort has none.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: What is it about theme parks that supposedly makes originality not an option?

Hmm that Mystic Manor in China seems a pretty original ride that WED made.

I guess they aren't completely out of ideas yet

Though I suppose the ride system and 'haunted mansion' type ride could be argued as 'not original'.

Depends on your definition of 'originality'
    The phenomenon of "people only want franchises" si very much limited to places where Disney is the sole decision maker and financier.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    To be fair, the ride system is the trackless system of which Disneyland Resort has none.
    It's not at any US park, but it will be at SeaWorld Orlando in about a month!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The phenomenon of "people only want franchises" si very much limited to places where Disney is the sole decision maker and financier.

I know the China Disneylands are similar to the management of the Japan ones (Disney partnered with some big land owner, its the city of Hong Kong itself the partner there) though in terms of development, is it them ponying up the money for development so to speak or 50/50?

I know why TDL is able to get amazing stuff like DisneySea since its mostly financed by the, is the same true for Hong Kong?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I know the China Disneylands are similar to the management of the Japan ones (Disney partnered with some big land owner, its the city of Hong Kong itself the partner there) though in terms of development, is it them ponying up the money for development so to speak or 50/50?

I know why TDL is able to get amazing stuff like DisneySea since its mostly financed by the, is the same true for Hong Kong?
    Tokyo Disney Resort is 100% owned and operated by the Oriental Land Company under a series of licensing agreements and is contractually obliged to only hire Walt Disney Imagineering for design development.

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort is owned by Hongkong Theme Parks International, a joint venture between the Government of Hong Kong and The Walt Disney Company. Originally the split was 57-43, but because Disney paid for all of the expansion to make up for under building the park that split is now 52-48.

Shanghai Disney Resort will follow the partnership model with the 57-43 split being between the Shanghai Shendhi Group, a state owned development company, and The Walt Disney Company.

• "I don't like the color"

That's right, I forgot all about WDW not having the trackless system as well.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Except for the Peanuts characters, Knott's has no movie- or tv-based attractions and they're doing pretty well. Sea World and Busch Gardens parks have none at all. Six Flags has oodles of comic-book-based attractions. (They're going to run out of well-known DC characters soon.) Not everyone is playing it safe, but maybe it's because the other parks have less money at stake.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    Except for the Peanuts characters, Knott's has no movie- or tv-based attractions and they're doing pretty well. Sea World and Busch Gardens parks have none at all. Six Flags has oodles of comic-book-based attractions. (They're going to run out of well-known DC characters soon.) Not everyone is playing it safe, but maybe it's because the other parks have less money at stake.
    Cedar Fair has long said they operate amusement parks, not theme parks. When they acquired the Paramount parks they immediately dropped all of the Paramount intellectual property despite being offered a licensed.

SeaWorld has the US rights to the Sesame Street characters and even owns an entire park based on Sesame Street, Sesame Place in Pennsylvania. They also recently acquired the rights to use Madagascar in a new show.

It is all about what sells. When Disneyland was fist getting started if they didn't have Walt *personally* selling the hell out of it, it probably wouldn't have taken off. Now without a Walt to sell new ideas you just have to look at what is popular and what keeps the people happy and normally you go with what already makes your company money for that solution.

• Under that tree again!

Tokyo Disney Resort is 100% owned and operated by the Oriental Land Company under a series of licensing agreements and is contractually obliged to only hire Walt Disney Imagineering for design development.

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort is owned by Hongkong Theme Parks International, a joint venture between the Government of Hong Kong and The Walt Disney Company. Originally the split was 57-43, but because Disney paid for all of the expansion to make up for under building the park that split is now 52-48.

Shanghai Disney Resort will follow the partnership model with the 57-43 split being between the Shanghai Shendhi Group, a state owned development company, and The Walt Disney Company.
    Japan and China both have limits on foreign investment. Disney could not fully own a park in any of those places, even if there was no risk and it would make billions the next year they could not do it.

In France they could have but sold of the park because of risk, and now they are buying it back.

That is the reason why only DLR and WDW are fully owned by the Disney Company.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
    It is to make an emotional connection to an attraction beyond just the physical experience. If you can link a positive emotional memory to a product, you then have brand loyalty and develop the desire to return to experience that positive reaction again beyond..."Hey, that was a fun ride".
    Want to talk about emotional attachment outside of a memory linked to a "product"? By tapping into known entities we have an emotional attachment to a night in a haunted house, a pirate escapade, a Himalayan expedition, a gold rush adventure...

I agree with many posters that the issue isn't a lack of creativity on the part of the Imagineers but a constraint of creativity placed on them by those who handle the purse strings. Oddly enough, they don't even realize that by doing so they are running the risk of killing their Golden Goose of the US Disney Parks.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234