Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disneyland Dreamer

Help critique my trip plans

Traveling with a 6mo, 4yr, and 6yr old (and wife)

Combined occasion of 4yr old's birthday and wife and my 10-yr wedding anniversary.

Will be on 4-day park hoppers, but want to only swap parks when it makes sense to do so. Staying at DGCH&S.

4yr old won't be able to ride several of the e-ticket rides being under 40" so we will commonly split up so 6yr old and I will ride the big-kid rides, and wife/6mo/4yr will do less exciting rides during time. Toon town is a must because it has the one "rollercoaster" the 4yr old will be able to ride and is VERY excited.

Due to nature of why we are going, splurging more than we would have planned normally, so the in-park dining and some of the activities reflects such.

See if I've got any pitfalls in here.

about a 2 1/2 hour plane ride away from the happiest place on earth

Re: Help critique my trip plans

Hello, i'm a fellow out of state Disney Fan. It looks to me like you have it pretty well planned out. I'm assuming DGCH&S is the Disney Grand California hotel? If I'm right then if it were me, I would check in right when you get there so you don't have to come back and do it during the day. If rooms are not available then they will hold your luggage while you are in the park and they will call or text you once your room is available. They will even bring your luggage up to your room if you like. That just leaves your schedule open a bit more so you can go back to the hotel when you are ready. The only other thing I would look into is the parent/rider swap card for the roller coaster attractions. I have never used it before because I don't have children yet, but it sounds like you ask the cm when entering the ride and they give you a card so the other parent can take the child again through the fast pass line after. This way both adults can enjoy the ride and the children tall enough get to enjoy the ride twice. Something to look into maybe. Hope you guys have a wonderful trip!

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by foreveradisneykid View Post
    Hello, i'm a fellow out of state Disney Fan. It looks to me like you have it pretty well planned out. I'm assuming DGCH&S is the Disney Grand California hotel?
    Yes, that's it. We started going as a family back in the recession, so room rates were VERY favorable... I was in utter sticker shock this year, but given it is our 10 year anniversary we selected it again. May have to rethink subsequent trips though if prices keep going the way they are.

If I'm right then if it were me, I would check in right when you get there so you don't have to come back and do it during the day. If rooms are not available then they will hold your luggage while you are in the park and they will call or text you once your room is available. They will even bring your luggage up to your room if you like. That just leaves your schedule open a bit more so you can go back to the hotel when you are ready.
    That's what I had planned on, upon arrival, get the luggage onto the cart, give them the keys to the vehicle, check in at front desk, etc. Still have to come back later to get your room keys though IIRC, and do the actual check in/get to the room.

The only other thing I would look into is the parent/rider swap card for the roller coaster attractions. I have never used it before because I don't have children yet, but it sounds like you ask the cm when entering the ride and they give you a card so the other parent can take the child again through the fast pass line after. This way both adults can enjoy the ride and the children tall enough get to enjoy the ride twice. Something to look into maybe. Hope you guys have a wonderful trip!
    We did that on Soarin', and yes, that is a great way to do things. Will plan on doing it again on the E-tickets for sure when we can manage it.

Getting really excited, didn't get to do a vacation last year, and the kids are in Disneyland withdrawl since its been 18 months since we last visited.

• #bringevilback

The only thing I can see is for your DL EMH you have planned to do adventure land but unfortunately that's not open yet. Only tomorrowland and FL are open, so you could knock out all the FL (especially Peter Pan and dumbo which get longer lines) and if you move quickly you can even probably manage SM and ST in tomorrowland

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    The only thing I can see is for your DL EMH you have planned to do adventure land but unfortunately that's not open yet.
    Really want to knock out Indy and a Pirates go-round on the Early Magic Hour. Why wouldn't they be open?

Only tomorrowland and FL are open, so you could knock out all the FL (especially Peter Pan and dumbo which get longer lines) and if you move quickly you can even probably manage SM and ST in tomorrowland
    Will have to readjust if this is the case. Where do they post what lands are open on EMH? Weird they wouldn't have the entire park going. I swear it was all open when we did it before.

Oh yeah, I want to get a Lilly Belle ride, Tender ride, and Mark Twain Wheelhouse on this trip too. We'll see. Not sure when we'll be getting back after this, so really trying to get the most out of this trip.

• Minion

^ Cassie is correct. Only FL and TL are open during Magic Mornings.

Also, you have set aside 3 hours for Fantasy Faire. It won't take you that long. The meet-and-greet line never goes past 30 minutes and the shows are about 20 minutes each. It's a very small area, so 3 hours isn't necessary.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    OK, will have to knock out all of FL, and finding Nemo then. Good thing you guys have the head's up. I would have totally walked across the park only to be refused.

Also, you have set aside 3 hours for Fantasy Faire. It won't take you that long. The meet-and-greet line never goes past 30 minutes and the shows are about 20 minutes each. It's a very small area, so 3 hours isn't necessary.
    Great news. Is that even for a Sunday? The girls are making this a must-do, so wanted to make sure we could do the entire thing.

• Familymemories

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post

Yes, 3 hours is a waste of time. Do you have the Disney Parks Mobile Magic app for your phone? If you don't it is free and it shows you the wait times for rides. This includes Disneyland and California Adventure. The rider swap is a must with little ones. Just talk to a Cast Member from the ride (the front entrance of the ride that is) and tell them you need one of those passes. They should give you a piece of paper for that ride.

I suggest you take your time and really enjoy the parks. Have fun.
    Vintage Jewelry Converted Into Wearable Pieces Visit My Etsy Shop3 Kid Crop Shop

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Oh yeah, I want to get a Lilly Belle ride, Tender ride, and Mark Twain Wheelhouse on this trip too. We'll see. Not sure when we'll be getting back after this, so really trying to get the most out of this trip.
    For the Lilly belle just go first thing to Main Street Station (only one person needs to go) and ask if it is running and if so, if there are spots available. I just was able to do this last week and it was great!

They currently aren't doing tender rides, they just stopped last week and the CM on Thursday said it could change back anytime, so ask, but don't be surprised if they aren't... But you have a month to go so hopefully they will!

My only critique is wow, that's a lot of planning! I would just tell you to go with the flow more than having such a scheduled itinerary. One of the great parts about being at the DLR is that you get to escape from your everyday life. For my family, it's way more relaxing to not have a plan than to feel like there are a bunch of scheduled appointments for each bit of fun.

]

I agree with jenpace. Way easier to go with the flow. You never know what is going to be down or if someone may have a melt down and need a break. Just enjoy your trip. 4 days is plenty without such a heavy itinerary. Have a great trip

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by jenpace View Post
    My only critique is wow, that's a lot of planning! I would just tell you to go with the flow more than having such a scheduled itinerary. One of the great parts about being at the DLR is that you get to escape from your everyday life. For my family, it's way more relaxing to not have a plan than to feel like there are a bunch of scheduled appointments for each bit of fun.
    The reason for trying to lay everything out was we've got new attractions (Fantasy Faire and Cars Land), combined with the girls getting the princess treatment at the boutique. Reallu just trying to figure it all out so we can work those in via the most effective manner.

Quote Originally Posted by jennasmom View Post
    I agree with jenpace. Way easier to go with the flow. You never know what is going to be down or if someone may have a melt down and need a break. Just enjoy your trip. 4 days is plenty without such a heavy itinerary. Have a great trip
    Very true. As we'll be travelling with an infant, will be interesting to see how it works. Part of the reason we are doing DGCH again this time, for the ease of getting back to the room if necessary.

Also, wanted ot make sure we were doing the wet-rides before park close/hotel return so that we aren't soaked all day, but just for the walk back (worked quite well before when nobody was on spash mtn, and my oldest and I ran it 12 times in a row without even getting out of the log, and when we did GRR 6 times in a row one night). We were SOAKED even with ponchos.

Doing a kid-free dinner out as well for the wife and I the day we arrive, so wanted to make sure the kids could get a viewing of WOC from the GCH's viewing balcony, while we were over in DL getting a fantasmic viewing...

• Evil is Sexy

Do your vacation the way you want to do it. My father-in-law loves lists and planning, so when we go he always has a basic itinerary for us all to follow. For them, it helps them do the things they really want to do since they don't get to go as often as us locals (14 times since February). For us, since we do get to go often and just piddle around the park as we want, it's fun to run around with them following the schedule. Don't forget to schedule nap time in there for you and your youngin's! You will all last a lot longer and enjoy the trip more for it.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

I have a similar thread going about my trip. I just wanted to say, plan away! I love to do it as well. I have a spreadsheet (the packing lists) and an outline (the actual parks) going. Mine are boys so we aren't really worrying about the Fantasy Faire. And in the end as long as my kids are happy, I'll be happy.

• Blew By You

Make note of the locations for the Infant Care Centers, one in Disneyland and one in California Adventure. Definitely for your 6 month old and 4 year old children. Your 6 year old child will need to use the regular bathrooms, but he or she can certainly enter and wait in an air conditioned environment while the other children attend to potty time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast