Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Grizzly Peak Mystery Shack. A new take on Mystic Manor

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Wasn't really all that impressed by Mystic Manor either. Granted, the effects were amazing. But the ride itself was a little too short and half the time I couldn't follow the story very well. That's where the original Haunted Mansion really shines in terms of its storytelling. I would love to see a ride with these kind of effects at Disneyland and/or DCA one day.
    In what world is the story of Haunted Mansion clearer than this. The preshow for MM is explicit in saying that the enchanted Music box brings inanimate objects to life. That's as clear as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    The worst part is that I didn't notice anything particularly innovative in the technology used. It was a lot of animatronics, projection effects, and large displays to simulate being in a magical tornado. Theme parks have been using these things for decades. We can do these effects, we just haven't yet.
    I would argue that's what makes this a brilliant ride. Its not about gimmicks (see RSR's racing, Expedition Everest yeti, etc. etc.). This is about story telling with no distractions. Its incredibly well executed.

• Future Animator

I suppose MiceChat's use to is nitpick the Disney theme parks, but even the amateur video of this attraction left me gripe-less. This is exactly the type of attraction, no more or less, that I expect from Disney. Does it replace our already existing E-Ticket dark rides? Absolutely not. But it sure belongs in that collection.

An original, simple story. An immersive location that lures me in. And tinged in mystery.

Of course I would love to see California Adventure get its own completely original collection of E-Tickets... But what makes this so difficult is that Mystic Manor feels like it was designed specifically for that park. The inspiration for the design was after The Carson Manor in Eureka, California.

As the OP suggested... I can see MM or a ride similar fitting into Grizzly National Park. Kind of reminiscent of the knick-knack shacks you could find in the mountains. But this one is full of exotic artifacts. I could see it. Just sounds very similar to this: http://files.doobybrain.com/wp-conte...y-falls-04.jpg
    (From Disney Channel's Gravity Falls)

But I think I agree with the other posters in this thread... I would love to see Mystic Manor on the skyline of Paradise Pier. The setting is already coherent. The story could be of Lord Mystic setting up his museum of exotic artifacts on the beach front pier. It'll add a new flavor not just to Paradise Pier, but the whole park.

We need more residents of DCA... I think Lord Mystic would be a welcomed tenant.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Minion

I'm sorry, but Mystery Shack and the question of what to replace Albert the Monkey with only has one answer for me: Waddles.

M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

I'm still suprised that Phineas and Ferb are in DCA but Gravity Falls characters aren't.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    ^Maybe even Hollywoodland with movies coming to life.
    Or maybe in Carsland with the cars coming to life

• Minion

^

• Cars Land Rocks!

Ride looks fantastic. Last time I was at Hong Kong Disneyland was a couple of months after it opened. I'm looking forward to going back with so many new things to see.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Disney could definitely make a ride based off of Gravity Falls in the style of Mystic Manor if the show continues to be successful.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 9.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• Under that tree again!

Redwood Creek should stay. It get's a lot of visitors. It lets a big group of Disney's guests a special option, to run around, and they are kids, a large target audience of Disney's business.

A mystery house could work well in DCA. A miners shack in Carsland. A lodge or log cabin near Grizzly Peak. A craftman style beach house along the Pier. A cannery around the Wharf. A producer's mansion or old movie house in Hollywood Land. Or we could go underground in A Bugs Land to see what herbicides and pesticides do to plants and insects.

All it takes is the demand for an attraction and land that is underutilized. DCA doesn't need anything right now, haven't you seen the latest numbers?
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 04-21-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Does anybody remember this idea:

Carson Mansion: Mystic Manor for DCA?

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

I saw about the first minute of the video and was amazed! ... And then I closed the window because I didn't want to spoil it for myself if I ever do decide to go to HKDL But I love your idea!!! It would be really cool to have something similar in DCA!

• Disneylander

What about...

What about putting a smaller cabin on Grizzly Peak and put the ride inside it. Using forced perspective to make it seem like you're going to the cabin like Beasts castle and the Be Our guest restaurant at MK. It would mess with a bit of pristine mountain but maybe you put the entrance in the Condor Flats area where its like you're at a desert-y airfield and on your way into the mountains you come across this "whatever" that takes you to that cabin. Just off the top of my head. I know it may not be able to go in or under Grizzly Peak.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    So, the first full ride videos of the new, all-original attraction in HKDL, Mystic Manor, have surfaced on the internet. Do NOt click this link and watch the video if you don't want to be spoiled. http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...video.html?m=0

I will keep spoilers to a minimum. I want to start by saying wow, this attraction looks amazing and definitely a new classic. It's not a spooky, 'haunted' attraction like classics such as Haunted Mansion, Phantom Manor, and Tower of Terror, but more an an enchanted, 'eerie' attraction that deals more with mystery than haunt. The effects, the AA's, the sets, the music, the ride system...all simply amazing and very well executed. A home run for Imagineering.

I would love to see this type of attraction, very similar to Mystic Manor, come here to the Disneyland Resort. I'm not talking a direct clone; let HKDL enjoy their unique attraction. I would love to see a new attraction very much like this, same ride system, similar use of effects and AA's, and 'eerie', mystical atmosphere theming, come to the resort, DCA specifically.

I think this is exactly the type of attraction DCA needs to build upon all the success it has had with it's expansion. It's a perfect compliment to the amazing Radiator Springs Racers.

My idea would be to put a very similar ride in the Grizzly Peak section of DCA. Grizzly Peak is one of the better themed and executed lands in DCA but suffers from a small footprint. This little section does a wonderful job of transporting the guest to the forest of the High Sierra (I go to the Sierra's every summer and always get nostalgic and brought back to them when I am walking through Grizzly Peak). As much as I love Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, I feel an attraction of Mystic Manor's caliber would make much better use of the space.

This type of attraction could totally be reworked in a way to fit into the mid-century National Park theming in Grizzly Peak. Instead of an eccentric collectors house, make it a mystery shack/mystery spot type place, full of a strange and odd collection of things. It could be themed as some type of tourist, roadside diversion in the National Park, exhibiting the strange and mysterious. Same type of concept and execution as Mystic Manor but themed as a mid-century mystery shack. Maybe have a raccoon instead of Albert the monkey to better fit the forest theming.

I think the idea has lots of potential. I would love to see this new classic at our resort but in a way that borrows and not directly clones. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
    well this place is in Euraka California so it can belong in DCA , remove redwood creek challenge and put a mini mystic manor there!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    I would argue that's what makes this a brilliant ride. Its not about gimmicks (see RSR's racing, Expedition Everest yeti, etc. etc.). This is about story telling with no distractions. Its incredibly well executed.
    Well, I think the idea of special effects would fall under the category of "gimmick" but I'm not interested in arguing semantics...but you're partly right, I think, about these effects making it a great ride. There's nothing particularly over-the-top and, while you're directed to look at one thing and not another, I think it works well. I would imagine other riders experience a different ride, which adds to its value.

Mystic Manor looks like a great attraction! While I understand why Grizzly Peak could use another great e ticket I just think this leads itself to a Hollywood land setting so much. I can see a really eccentric director character who goes on these amazing adventures to inspire his movies amassing a huge collection of artifacts in his Hollywood hills mansion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast