Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Grad nights....Bad time to visit Disneyland or California Adventure?

Information regarding Grad Night.
    can be found by reading the Chaperone guide from Disney, available here.
    http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/yout...de_2013_v3.pdf

There is also additional information on the Grad Night event at the Disneyland grad night site
    Disneyland Grad Nite | Celebrations & Field Trips at Disneyland Resort

In a nutshell-
    "Gradnight" tickets cost $69 dollars. Ticket allows Park Hopping starting at Disneyland/California adventure opening. It appears that park hopping will no longer be available to grads once the "Grad night" party begins.

The actual "GradNight" portion of the event is as follows:

All Grads must be inside Disney California Adventure by one hour after park close. At that time, the gates will be locked and no Grads will be allowed in or out without Chaperone consent. Any Grad trying to come inside Disney California Adventure Park one hour after park close will need a Chaperone to vouch for them. Grads can reach out to Cast Members at the Guest Service Building in the Esplanade to assist them in reaching a Chaperone. Any Grads inside Disneyland Park at the start of Grad Nite will be asked to head over to Disney California Adventure
    Info taken from 2013 Gradnight chaperone handbook.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    Two of my three kids are turning 17 and 18 this summer, and they'll be with me. I'm immune to teenagers.
    I'm sure your kids are well behaved, but you will be surrounded by groups of unsupervised teens who you don't know and will be acting like sailors on shore leave.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• The doctor is in

After experiencing Grad Nights, I think they should limit the grads to certain times of the day closer to their grad parties.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    After experiencing Grad Nights, I think they should limit the grads to certain times of the day closer to their grad parties.
    What they should have done is kept it like it was and close the parks early for the general public and let the grads in at a specified time.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    What they should have done is kept it like it was and close the parks early for the general public and let the grads in at a specified time.
    This.

And I think it's kind of mean that Disneyland doesn't mention Grad Nites on their event calendar. If I booked a Disney vacation, it was my only chance to go to the park and I discovered, when I arrived, that it was overrun with graduates, I'd be so upset.

IMHO when the parties were closed to the public it was better for the kids AND the other guests.

• The doctor is in

I honestly was pissed when I discovered I was going to endure Grad Nights during my trip. I figured booking the first week of May put me in the clear because California schools don't release until June.

I wrote an email to Disney when I got home and told them they should consider putting Grad Nights on their event calendars. It isn't fair to people who book months in advance to have the week from hell.

Totally agree with both of you that Disney should have added Grad Nights to their calender, seems a little like "we dont care" type of attitude on Disney's part.

I think grad nights should be cancelled. Why did they start? Weren't they partly for marketing purposes? Get people to fall in love with DL so they'll continue coming and bring their families? No need. The parks are too full.

• The doctor is in

Grad Nights were happening back when my mom graduated high school in 1970. She skipped her Grad Night, but they were going on even back then.

I understand the concept of them and it is cool for the area kids to be able to have the park to themselves for a while, but the way Disney does it is ridiculous. They should not let those with Grad Night tickets into the park before an allotted time and should fully close the park to the public in enough time for the grads to enter. Instead the teenagers come in the morning and afternoon and act like idiots all day until their Grad Night festivities begin.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    I think grad nights should be cancelled. Why did they start? Weren't they partly for marketing purposes? Get people to fall in love with DL so they'll continue coming and bring their families? No need. The parks are too full.
    IIRC some of the motivation was actually so that the kids would have a place to go to party that would be alcohol-free...and since they were transported in school buses and stayed until morning, they wouldn't be driving drunk. It was a good concept until they started doing these mix-ins and letting the grads mingle in the parks with the regular guests.

Oh, that is a good reason. Too bad they don't close the park for them. I also think they shouldn't give them discounted tickets.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It was a good concept until they started doing these mix-ins and letting the grads mingle in the parks with the regular guests.
    This is the best thing I have read so far.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    Oh, that is a good reason. Too bad they don't close the park for them. I also think they shouldn't give them discounted tickets.
    Up until 2012 they did. The deal was that the kids stayed in the park overnight and they were the only ones there. It was theirs from closing to 6am or something along those lines. The schools sent chaperones to stay with them and they were not allowed to leave the park at all. I think that worked out so much better for all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    This is the best thing I have read so far.
    Thank you.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Up until 2012 they did. The deal was that the kids stayed in the park overnight and they were the only ones there. It was theirs from closing to 6am or something along those lines. The schools sent chaperones to stay with them and they were not allowed to leave the park at all. I think that worked out so much better for all concerned.

Thank you.
    Agreed. I really don't get the park hopping thing here. Unless they have armies of security guards and/or chaperones guarding both sides of the esplanade, who's keeping an eye on kids who don't quite make it to the other park before it closes? I think it would be all too easy for an older friend to get a nearby hotel room, and the party is on. Or maybe a quick trip to grab some booze up the street before heading back to the park. As long as they show up at the bus on time, who would know?

In MY day, it was one park, and you had to dress up and go through the bag check before the bag check even existed. Then you were IN that park until the sun came up. I really don't see this ending well for Disney. If they are going to move the event to DCA, fine, but lock them in there for the night. If you allow them to constantly exit the park, you're asking for trouble.

• Minion

Was at the resort for a grad night trip for which I was a chaperone. I gotta say, while I did see a number of groups of kids doing various chants now and then... for the most part, the kids at both parks seemed really well behaved. I didn't see any line jumping, didn't have any rides that I was on disrupted by loud teens, and even saw more than a fair number of kids really seeming to enjoy the park for the park's sake. It was a great experience and I'm glad to have been a part of it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast