• Banned User

Who is Michael Colglazier Talking to Tomorrow?

I'm kinda confused by something in the Miceage Update regarding Michael Colglazier's speech to the "salaried ranks" in Anaheim tomorrow, as per Miceage:

Amidst all those headaches, most of it self-imposed by a small group of executives, Michael Colglazier will finally be hosting his formal debut to the salaried ranks in Anaheim. Tomorrow, Michael will host two sessions of his Salaried Business Update, a sort of annual “State of the Resort” speech in the Hyperion Theater that we’d told you about in the last update. He’ll likely have to acknowledge the recent ride closures and explain away (or ignore) the inconsistencies between the two coasts in a flurry of trendy corporate buzzwords while subtly bragging about the “safety culture” at Disney Parks & Resorts.

. . .

It’s been said before, but Michael was promoted from the least visited theme park in WDW with the most notorious state of affairs when it comes to questionable maintenance and declining showmanship standards. He’ll really need to prove to the Hyperion audience that he’s up to the task of maintaining Anaheim’s superior showmanship and won’t try to lead Anaheim down its previously-travelled path of reduced maintenance and lowered standards.

This doesn't sound like a press event, but the boss addressing the employees. If so, then why would Colglazier have to "prove" to his subordinates that he won't "lead Anaheim down its previously-travelled path of reduced maintenance and lowered standards." I also don't get why he'd have to acknowledge ride closures when he's just talking to employees!? Is the media going to be there?

Of course, high standards are what fans want, but for Burbank, I would think it comes down to profits and no embarrassing safety accidents, and at any rate, it will be Colglazier's superiors who judge his success, not the "salaried ranks", yes? As the same Miceage article mentions, Colglazier presided over poor show standards at Animal Kingdom and it didn't hurt his career, and Animal Kingdom is not the least visited park at WDW, but has pulled in slightly more guests than Disney Hollywood Studios the past two years! (List of amusement park rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

• Under that tree again!

Re: Who is Michael Colglazier Talking to Tomorrow?

It's a pep talk.

He is going to say, this is how we are doing, this is what we will do. Lots of the word "we" and positive statements.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    This doesn't sound like a press event, but the boss addressing the employees. If so, then why would Colglazier have to "prove" to his subordinates that he won't "lead Anaheim down its previously-travelled path of reduced maintenance and lowered standards." I also don't get why he'd have to acknowledge ride closures when he's just talking to employees!? Is the media going to be there?
    Proving to the subordinates helps improve morale and reduces apathy. If management cares about the condition of the park, then the workers will care as well.

As for acknowledging ride closures, there was much speculation as to why they were closed and who ordered it. This will stop the spread of rumors and make sure that all the employees have a clear picture of what went on and what it means for the company.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Proving to the subordinates helps improve morale and reduces apathy. If management cares about the condition of the park, then the workers will care as well.

As for acknowledging ride closures, there was much speculation as to why they were closed and who ordered it. This will stop the spread of rumors and make sure that all the employees have a clear picture of what went on and what it means for the company.
    Good point. I can how the address is a sort of pep rally, and doubtlessly Colglazier wants to whip an atmosphere of pride in the castmembers and salaried folks at TDA. If its just salaried folks at TDA, many of whom supposedly don't visit the park much . . . do they really care about going back to Paul Pressler's style of management, or mostly (semi-understandably) with keeping their jobs?

I'm skeptical that he specifically will address park upkeep, (at least not in terms of guest safety as Disney recent actions have proved that they do care about guest safety AND castmember safety). Alice's exterior looks crummy and it's been that way since 2010, and the esplanade's temporary security checkpoints which have been in place, for how long? A decade? Are also starting to become somewhat of an eye sore.

Guests, fans don't like Alice's exterior, but I'm thinking that if you work Alice, or anywhere in the park, you see it so much that it doesn't really matter.

Colglazier will be in charge at DLR, for what? 3 years? Word is that a Star Wars addition, or any other addition, won't happen until post 2015 . . . and probably a couple years after that, so I think his job is just to sort of be a steward for DLR while the resort scraps back money from the Carsland/BVS investment.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 04-23-2013 at 01:27 PM.

• Senior Minion

For those who've experienced Disney management's M.O. of playing PR games with the public, it's nothing compared to the spin they shovel on their own employees.

Don't hold your breath, folks, there is zero possibility that the latest revolving-door suit to preside over the DLR is going to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth to his employees -- especially about why Disneyland has racked up so many safety citations.

CMs should bring their hip boots. They're going to need 'em to wade through the corporate bs.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-23-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Former Churro Jockey

To answer the original question, Michael is talking to the head managers of the different departments, along with many of the support staff. The easiest way to explain it is to look at a single department, and the kinds of clothes that they are required to wear.

I worked in ODV for a few years. The way that ODV is organized is that you have the your hourly cast members, and directly above them is the lead, who is kind of like an assistant manager, but they barely get paid any more than the hourly CMs and have to wear a special costume that is specifically designed for leads. There are probably 20 - 25 leads, and none of them would be attending this meeting.

Then you have the assistant managers. They get paid pretty well, and they wear either a blouse and pants suit, or a shirt and tie without a jacket, and they get paid probably double what a lead makes. There are 10 or so assistant managers, and one or two of them might attend the meeting.

Then there is the head manager. They make a little bit more money then the assistant managers, and have the same dress code. They will probably try to get out of the meeting my sending an assistant manager instead. All of these people work in the actual ODV office.

Then there is the manager of all restaurant services at Disneyland. This person wears formal clothes (such as a full suit and tie), makes a six-figure salary, and works at TDA, and only drops by a given department or restaurant maybe once a month (although they schedule endless conference calls with the manager and assistant managers). This person absolutely has to be at the meeting, and this is probably the primary type of person that the meeting is geared towards.

As far as the meeting itself, the MiceAge article is written from the cast member's perspective about Michael having to prove himself to them, but I doubt that's how he and his staff see it. More likely they think of it like a sports team that gets a new head coach, and the coach has to try and get everyone on the team to "buy in" to his new philosophy and playbook. He'll probably talk in pretty broad terms about the incredible successes that the Disneyland Resort has had over the past year, maybe briefly mention any successes he had at Animal Kingdom, and then introduce his goals for the resort over the next few years. He will then explain how the actions that he proposes to meet those goals will succeed. He certainly won't be trying to prove to anyone that he's going to do a better job at Disneyland then he did at Animal Kingdom. He also would not be making any significant announcements other than new marketing strategies. Everything will be sugar-coated and make it sound like Michael and his team have always done everything perfectly in every situation, and anything negative will be either ignored, or re-worded to sound like a positive. There may be some talk of bonuses or incentives for achieving the goals that Michael lays out. And there will be a really nice catered lunch, probably from the Carthay Circle, but also possibly from an outside vendor. It will be interesting to see if they have alcohol or not. When I worked there, the meetings were at night after the park closed, so they had a full open bar, but since this one is during the day when the CM's would see them, they may opt not to do that.
    Last edited by Big D; 04-23-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html