Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got back!

• Disneyland Dreamin'

Just got back!

Well, after 10+ years of no vacations, we just returned from Disneyland...

And we had a GREAT time! The trip couldn't have gone smoother and being the kids' first visit, it was really magical.

I am planning and working on a trip report right now and will hopefully post it before the weekend up for those who care but it is taking a bit to go through 450+ photos. I am not sure how detailed or long is acceptable but I will try and pace myself!

My main reason for posting this and a trip report for really what amounts to a bunch of strangers is because I wanted to thank the fans and supporters of Micechat for their help and pointers. It really is a great and valuable resource and many tips made our trip a little easier and much better!

Thanks again!

• #bringevilback

Re: Just got back!

Glad you had a great time...can't wait to hear about it and see pictures!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Glad you had a great time...can't wait to hear about it and see pictures!
    Me too.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Excited to see your report! No report can be too detailed or long in my opinion. LOL

• Still lost in Neverland

I agree. No trip report can have too many pictures or be too long. Post a way please. Look forward to seeing what an adventure you had.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Disney Parks Fan

Reports can be useful for people coming to DLR (or any Disney park) for the first time, and sometimes gives even frequent visitors ideas for their next visit. I have found the need to "rescue" several families coming to a Disney park for their first time. For example, I have known people to enter DLR, walk up Main Street USA through the castle into Fantasyland, ride a few minor rides and discuss leaving because they don't see the point of the park.

One example I frequently tell to cast members is about, one family from India that came to me (thinking I was a cast member because I was wearing Disney merchandise), pointed to their teenage daughter and asked "is there anything here for her?" I asked which attractions the family had already visited and discovered they had only visited minor attractions in Fantasyland and the daughter thought she had seen a full representation of DLR. The family was about to leave DLR and never return.

People on micechat.com have a chance to prevent such catastrophes. New visitors should know, before entering a Disney park, what an E-ticket attraction is. They should know to ask cast members about them. There is at least one E-ticket in every land of DLR (both in Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure). Some are hidden. I went to Disneyland frequently as a kid, but didn't know about the Enchanted Tiki Room till I was around 18 years old. The Tiki Room looks like a restaurant and I didn't know it was an attraction. Even Main Street USA has an E-ticket attraction--Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln--hidden in the Opera House. (I don't remember there being an E-ticket attractions on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom at WDW.)

People traveling from far should know how to save money and still have a good time. I needed to do much research before my family's first visit to WDW. If I had not investigated, we would have had less fun and more expense. The Disney websites are a great resource, but not enough.

My encounters with lost families who needed "rescue" caused me to start writing a guide for new visitors to Disney parks, and I resumed work on it several times. However, my time is limited and the guide will take time to finish. I don't even know how to distribute such a guide without significant costs to me (let alone breaking even or actually making a profit).

• Disneymom

Quote Originally Posted by ronf View Post
    Reports can be useful for people coming to DLR (or any Disney park) for the first time, and sometimes gives even frequent visitors ideas for their next visit. I have found the need to "rescue" several families coming to a Disney park for their first time. For example, I have known people to enter DLR, walk up Main Street USA through the castle into Fantasyland, ride a few minor rides and discuss leaving because they don't see the point of the park.

One example I frequently tell to cast members is about, one family from India that came to me (thinking I was a cast member because I was wearing Disney merchandise), pointed to their teenage daughter and asked "is there anything here for her?" I asked which attractions the family had already visited and discovered they had only visited minor attractions in Fantasyland and the daughter thought she had seen a full representation of DLR. The family was about to leave DLR and never return.

People on micechat.com have a chance to prevent such catastrophes. New visitors should know, before entering a Disney park, what an E-ticket attraction is. They should know to ask cast members about them. There is at least one E-ticket in every land of DLR (both in Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure). Some are hidden. I went to Disneyland frequently as a kid, but didn't know about the Enchanted Tiki Room till I was around 18 years old. The Tiki Room looks like a restaurant and I didn't know it was an attraction. Even Main Street USA has an E-ticket attraction--Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln--hidden in the Opera House. (I don't remember there being an E-ticket attractions on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom at WDW.)

People traveling from far should know how to save money and still have a good time. I needed to do much research before my family's first visit to WDW. If I had not investigated, we would have had less fun and more expense. The Disney websites are a great resource, but not enough.

My encounters with lost families who needed "rescue" caused me to start writing a guide for new visitors to Disney parks, and I resumed work on it several times. However, my time is limited and the guide will take time to finish. I don't even know how to distribute such a guide without significant costs to me (let alone breaking even or actually making a profit).
    Please post some tips on here if you can.

Ronf it might be fun for you to create a website dedicated to your Disney guide. There are Disneyland guidebooks out there, Frommer's, Fodor's, etc. so you're right, I doubt you'd make a profit. People who don't plan probably don't plan life in general. Trip advisor, etc. are even noted in those guidebooks. This would likely give people the idea there are communities out here like this with information. So, they may not have time or knowledge of resources to plan their trips. There's no excuse for it but you're right, it's nice if we can help others!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    Excited to see your report! No report can be too detailed or long in my opinion. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I agree. No trip report can have too many pictures or be too long. Post a way please. Look forward to seeing what an adventure you had.
    Agreed!! Share away!! Looking forward to it!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by SaabR View Post
    ...it is taking a bit to go through 450+ photos. I am not sure how detailed or long is acceptable but I will try and pace myself!
    Just post all 450+ photos!

I agree! Long trip reports are the best!

Can't wait to see your TR, love reading them, no matter how long

• Disneyland Dreamin'

Thanks for all the support everyone! It's coming! I just got done day one. 3 to go. Soon!

I love reading first trip reports! after the kids have went so many times I just really love seeing things from that first perspective again. I loved it when I took my nephew for his first trip in February. He was over the moon to see Goofy.

• Disney Parks Fan

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom View Post
    Please post some tips on here if you can.
    I am sorry to take so long to answer. I have been busy.

Most of the tips I give are well known to frequent visitors. Thus, the first advice I give to people planning to go to a Disney park is "go with somebody who already knows the parks." Since this is not always practical, I am usually ready to give the following tips.

I explain E-ticket attractions: attractions which show brilliance of Disney Imagineers and are one of the main reasons to go to a Disney park. If I cannot mark maps for visitors to show where the E-ticket stuff is, then I recommend that the guests ask Cast Members to mark their maps for them. When I do it myself, I also indicate which attractions have waiting areas instead of lines since these attractions should be visited in the afternoon when lines get long.

Ways to avoid long lines: FastPass, Single-Rider, Rider Swap, special services for elderly and handicapped guests, and attractions with waiting areas instead of waiting lines. I explain how these allow guests to make the best use of their time. The park maps have indicators to show which attractions have these features.

Some people pay too much for food in or near the parks. They need to know where to look for and identify Quick Service (casual) dining which gives meals at lower prices than Table Service dining does. People should know that Character Dining is expensive. Knowing where lockers are available also allows storing some types of snacks in or near the parks.

Some people have special needs but don't know where to board their pets, where to lodge or where to park. Helping these people is easier if they are reached before they leave for a Disney park.

I like to talk about Disney Imagineering because I believe that is the most significant contributor to the "magic" of Disney Parks. I know that the service philosophy of Disney is also very important, but Imagineering is what makes the parks so special to me in comparison to most other brands of theme parks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast