Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    77

    Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    Hi all! This is my first time posting to micechat and I was wondering, with all the technological advancements, why can't they rebuild the skyway? Just for some background information, I am 17 years old and have been going to Disney since I was 3. So I really want to ride it and wish it was open. Can anyone explain to me why Disneyland hasn't thought about this?

  2. #2

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,748

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    Because our society can be quite overprotective in terms of safety.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    324

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by minivan2 View Post
    Hi all! This is my first time posting to micechat and I was wondering, with all the technological advancements, why can't they rebuild the skyway? Just for some background information, I am 17 years old and have been going to Disney since I was 3. So I really want to ride it and wish it was open. Can anyone explain to me why Disneyland hasn't thought about this?
    If they had re-opened it, OSHA and DOSH would probably currently have it closed. I wish I was kidding. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen because...where do I start? You'd have to get it up to current safety standards, which are stricter than they were back in the 20th century. You'd have to make it comply with the ADA. Also, it didn't have very high capacity, and was, of course, something everybody wanted to ride. Putting it back would probably also mean re-opening those holes in the Matterhorn. I'd bet that today, those opening would be deemed to narrow with not enough clearance for the cabins to pass.
    The thing that needs to be addressed is, of course, that old Peoplemover/Rocket Rods track. Trust me, the Peoplemover was almost like the Skyway, but you would feel a lot safer, the capacity was much higher, and at times, there was no wait. And you can still ride it in Florida.

  4. #4

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?


  5. #5

    • Chief Troublemaker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, out there
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    I think the official line was that it was closed due to decreased number of riders & cost of maintenance. I think liability probably also played a part. The fear of someone falling or jumping (like someone did in early '94, the resulting lawsuit was dismissed), and the reality of people throwing things and (yuck) spitting on the crowd below and possible resulting lawsuits from that type of thing. And those are also the reasons why Disney won't rebuild it.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

  6. #6

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I think the official line was that it was closed due to decreased number of riders & cost of maintenance. I think liability probably also played a part. The fear of someone falling or jumping (like someone did in early '94, the resulting lawsuit was dismissed), and the reality of people throwing things and (yuck) spitting on the crowd below and possible resulting lawsuits from that type of thing. And those are also the reasons why Disney won't rebuild it.
    That's the jist of it, go ahead and read some of the other threads on this topic.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    393

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    why would they it was a * ride. and it took you out of the fantasy world
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 04-23-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Attempted word filter violation

  8. #8

    • Seeker of Fun
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,351

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Because our society can be quite overprotective in terms of safety.
    Agreed.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

  9. #9

    • Evil is Sexy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chula Vista, California, United States
    Posts
    1,046

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    And, I think we'd have more "rude guest" issues with today's society than with the past.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

    Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

  10. #10

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,636

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    If they had re-opened it, OSHA and DOSH would probably currently have it closed. I wish I was kidding. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen because...where do I start? You'd have to get it up to current safety standards, which are stricter than they were back in the 20th century. You'd have to make it comply with the ADA. Also, it didn't have very high capacity, and was, of course, something everybody wanted to ride. Putting it back would probably also mean re-opening those holes in the Matterhorn. I'd bet that today, those opening would be deemed to narrow with not enough clearance for the cabins to pass.
    The thing that needs to be addressed is, of course, that old Peoplemover/Rocket Rods track. Trust me, the Peoplemover was almost like the Skyway, but you would feel a lot safer, the capacity was much higher, and at times, there was no wait. And you can still ride it in Florida.
    Actually, they took it out of Florida too.

    But if you want to ride something similar to the skyway just go to San Diego. Both Sea World and the Zoo have similar rides. And why those are still open is anyone's guess. The SD Zoo is much higher than DL's ever was, and Sea World's goes over the bay. So why they closed down DL's I would have no clue.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    311

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Actually, they took it out of Florida too.
    The poster was referring to the PeopleMover.

    As for the Skyway, it would probably be an operations nightmare if rebuilt. Safety concerns, legal hurdles, windy days, rude guests spitting on other guests, almost anything would threaten the Skyway's longevity in 21st century Disneyland. Although it pains me to admit it, this is one ride I would rather have in Yesterland.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    755

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Actually, they took it out of Florida too.

    But if you want to ride something similar to the skyway just go to San Diego. Both Sea World and the Zoo have similar rides. And why those are still open is anyone's guess. The SD Zoo is much higher than DL's ever was, and Sea World's goes over the bay. So why they closed down DL's I would have no clue.
    They are still open because their owners see value in having them still. Every time I go to the zoo there is a fairly long line for the ride.

    Because these 2 are still operating without the state having a fit, leads me to believe Disney just didn't want the ride anymore and closed it down.

  13. #13

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    You know, the presence of those other skyways/aerial trams might be a big reason why Disneyland wouldn't want to bring one back: it's not unique anymore. Anyone who wants to ride an aerial tram doesn't even need to go down to SeaWorld; they can just hop over to the OC Fair and pay $6 or so. Disney might not see the merit in reproducing a ride experience that can now be had in many other places.

    Plus I bet they'd have a heck of a time making that Fantasyland station ADA accessible. And they've just finished redoing the Matterhorn and might not be keen on sawing it open again...

  14. #14

    • Unhelpful User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cerritos Ca
    Posts
    711

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    One Word "OSHA"

  15. #15

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,477

    Re: Why can't they bring back the Skyway?

    Everyone above is basically wrong.

    Half a century late the attraction would have 50 year newer technology. No problem with OSHA or ADA. But do we need the tour of rooftops?

    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] How Could They Bring Back The Sky Buckets?
    By Gurugriff100 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
  2. Why not bring back the Dream Machine
    By GoldenBoySC99 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 08:02 PM
  3. Main Gate CMS - Why can't they greet you?
    By Disney Lover in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 04:35 PM
  4. Bring Back the Disney Villans Shop!!!
    By cellarhound in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 04:23 PM
  5. Bring back the Escalators !!
    By RemainSeatedPlease in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 01:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •