Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• film975

Re: Will USH expansion be a threat to the DLR in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    Well, think about the rumors swirling around recently, while the universal project was already beginning to get underway...Star Wars, Tron, Monster's Inc. I'm sure this has got TDA's heads spinning.
    The only new attraction they're adding is the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. And Disney recently spent about $1.5 Billion or so on the California Adventure expansion alone. Disney has a lot more rumored attractions they're working on for the future. Hopefully at the next D23 Expo, we'll hear some offical announcements about those.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    The only new attraction they're adding is the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. And Disney recently spent about $1.5 Billion or so on the California Adventure expansion alone. Disney has a lot more rumored attractions they're working on for the future. Hopefully at the next D23 Expo, we'll hear some offical announcements about those.
    1.1 billion but who's counting right!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It will be a threat for sure. But the new Disney management is used to competition from Universal due to the Orlando parks.

What they need to keep their eye on however, is Knotts. With Matt Ouimet in charge, we are already seeing improvements in cleanliness and upkeep, small rides are being added, major refurbs are being done on their classics, and a dark ride is strongly rumored to come in at some point. For many years in the 70s in fact, DL's and Knotts attendances were neck and neck.

Knotts is the sleeping giant in the room that if Disney is not prepared for could wind up being DL's Achilles Heel. It's not just USH, but a one-two punch from a combined expansion/improvement from both USH and Knotts that could threaten the insane popularity of DL. Combine that with current Disney management's assumption that people will continue to pay high prices just because its Disney and we just might witness a threat to DL's popularity. I don't think DL will ever be number two, but with combined improvements to USH and Knotts I can easily see a decrease in popularity.

• Minion

Competition is always good so I'm not worried, although I'm defiantly worried for WDW. The great theme park war of 2013 is upon us my friends

Plus, the 1.6 billion expansion is taking place over what, 25 years? Hardly a player IMO.

• Sock Puppet

In all honesty, Universal Hollywood will never be serious competition for the Disneyland resort, even if they build Potter out here. USH is just so small and landlocked that they cannot ever grow into a real resort and seriously compete with Disney and their 2 parks.

In Orlando, Universal is a serious competitor for Disney. but in California?not at all,and never really will be. About 10 years I heard that Disney internally considers Vegas to be their real competition in California, not Uni and not Knotts...and this was 10 years ago before DCA 2.0, so I'd imagine that places like Uni and Knotts are even LESS of an issue for Disney since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I think the only thing that will be a threat to Disney's domestic theme park business is Disney itself -- its creative laziness, its refusal to innovate, its inability to envision theme parks as anything more than platforms for marketing brands, its beancounter-heavy management hierarchy, its self-straightjacketing groupthink, its dysfunctional internal politics, and its culture of corporate arrogance.

I agree. As much as I do like Universal, it's not on a par with Disney. I'm not even sure where they could go to expand the park and they're sort of handicapped by a lack of space.

I have been disappointed in Disney lately and that will drive me to other parks at least for a while.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    beancounter
    Mr Wiggins, question. We hear this word a lot.

But it occurred to me today, that when Disney got rid of the ticket books, they got rid of a valve.

Prior to that, from the very beginning, the Walt Disney Company knew what it cost to operate an attraction and what the attraction brought in, in revenue, from ticket sales.

Changing to an "all you can eat buffet" and a higher door fee / cover charge means, how do we value these attractions, how much value do they have, are they bringing in crowds or losing appeal. It becomes subjective.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

I agree. As much as I do like Universal, it's not on a par with Disney.
    Yet. Take a look at some photos from their Florida parks, imagine that plus a real look at an authentic operating movie studio and BAM!

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

I agree. As much as I do like Universal, it's not on a par with Disney. I'm not even sure where they could go to expand the park and they're sort of handicapped by a lack of space.

I have been disappointed in Disney lately and that will drive me to other parks at least for a while.
    I hear a lot of people having the same sentiment Lately!

Yes. But is it a huge threat? No. 90% of the people I see at the parks are enjoying them, especially since the expansion.
    Learn How To Lose Weight While Still Eating All Your Favorite Disney Foods! --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

Agree with what others have said re: competition. At some point, Disney will feel the pressure to spend and quite honestly, based on the rumors floating around, they are already moving down that path. You really want to combat Potter, fire up the Death Star and bring Star Wars to the parks or a new park.

I think what happens at WDW might be telling. Universal is investing more heavily there than they have here and you could argue that that investment was part of the reason for an expanded FL. Now was it a worthy investment...that's a whole other debate. WDW clearly has the park tailored to building SW in Disney's Hollywood Studios. While I think they will likely bring Carsland or some version of it there first, I think their nuts to not move forward with a larger Star Wars section now.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    What they need to keep their eye on however, is Knotts. With Matt Ouimet in charge, we are already seeing improvements in cleanliness and upkeep, small rides are being added, major refurbs are being done on their classics, and a dark ride is strongly rumored to come in at some point. For many years in the 70s in fact, DL's and Knotts attendances were neck and neck.

Knotts is the sleeping giant in the room that if Disney is not prepared for could wind up being DL's Achilles Heel. It's not just USH, but a one-two punch from a combined expansion/improvement from both USH and Knotts that could threaten the insane popularity of DL. Combine that with current Disney management's assumption that people will continue to pay high prices just because its Disney and we just might witness a threat to DL's popularity. I don't think DL will ever be number two, but with combined improvements to USH and Knotts I can easily see a decrease in popularity.
    I agree with you on one point here as we are living proof. Some people are not willing to spend in increased prices just because it's Disney. After 12 years, no DL AP's anymore and now we have Knott's AP's.

I think Knott's can have some impact but not if they build more of the carnival type rides they are putting in the boardwalk now (at least 2 of them can be found at the local Castle Park). Even Matt knows that they can't spend or build attractions on Disney's level so it will be challenging to create the excitement around anything new like Disney does. All that being said, I believe Matt gets it and will do whatever he can (with more challenging Cedar Fair budgets) to make the park more enjoyable. Bring on a new dark ride!

• Team Hail HYDRA

This expansion is mostly for the studio, not the park itself

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    I hear a lot of people having the same sentiment Lately!
    I think most people have been upset with Disneyland Resort due to crowding, the product is almost TOO GOOD, the crowds are unbearable.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast