Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: Will USH expansion be a threat to the DLR in the future?

Does anyone else feel that Universal might be milking a dead cow here? while Harry Potter will be a popular franchise for decades to come, what if J K Rowling doesnt make another film or spinoff etc? Can this land remain popular as the franchise ages?

Star Wars is still really popular because Lucas kept it alive with the prequels and tv shows, there is no sign that Rowling will do the same for Potter. Just something to think about.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Does anyone else feel that Universal might be milking a dead cow here? while Harry Potter will be a popular franchise for decades to come, what if J K Rowling doesnt make another film or spinoff etc? Can this land remain popular as the franchise ages?

Star Wars is still really popular because Lucas kept it alive with the prequels and tv shows, there is no sign that Rowling will do the same for Potter. Just something to think about.
    Potter will be just fine. Its got a huge fanbase that grew up with it, reading the books and watching the movies. I was nine years old when the first film was released and I remember seeing it in theaters. I am going to raise my kids on Potter, and I'm sure the others like me will, too.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Selfie Expert

I've had this same thought about Cars - which has had only 2 movies so far compared to HPs 4 or 5 (? Please forgive me I don't know the exact number!). I know they're trying to do the spin off with Planes... but I just don't know that Cars is going to be timeless. Luckily the land is quality and immersive, so maybe that's what they're counting on. The same could be said of HP, though, I'm sure.
    Last edited by KellyMcG86; 04-25-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

It could be a good thing if they add more stuff to compete. It could be bad if they assume that "(insert random franchise)-Land" is the only thing that can compete with Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• New Member Goes Forth

I think if Universal keep to improve their park, and make it fresh, then there USH will be the leader of California theme parks for a few years at least.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Circle of Ancients

Don't see that happening at all. A good ride is a good ride no matter what franchise it's based off of.

As others have mentioned, CarsLand. They are among the least popular Pixar movies (box office and critically speaking) but are probably the biggest (merchandise speaking) which is exactly why the land was built.

Star Tours was built 4 years after Return of the Jedi and 12 years before Phantom Menace and it's popularity never waned.

Indiana Jones was opened 6 years after The Last Crusade and 13 years before the other one we don't mention and it's one of the most popular rides at the park.

Even looking at the Fantasyland Dark Rides, I'm sure most people don't even realize that Mr. Toad is loosely based on an animated movie yet it's still pretty popular.

Harry Potter is quite popular in both literature and films. There will be re-releases, etc. No dead horse here.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by MickeySmurfette24 View Post
    They need a New Attractions, New 3rd Park, a Marvel Store and Restaurant at Downtown Disney.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    Also, I will probably go to USH for the first time in my life to check it out.
    You should! USH is totally fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    What they need to keep their eye on however, is Knotts. With Matt Ouimet in charge, we are already seeing improvements in cleanliness and upkeep, small rides are being added, major refurbs are being done on their classics, and a dark ride is strongly rumored to come in at some point. For many years in the 70s in fact, DL's and Knotts attendances were neck and neck.
    This is something to think about. I started a thread about this topic in the Knott's section after listening to Matt on the Season Pass podcast. Good things are coming to that park..

I don't see this being an issue. Harry Potter is still huge, and I don't see an end in sight anytime soon.

Speaking as a rather large Star Wars fan, the original trilogy is what made the franchise what it is. There is something special about those first three films, not to mention they could hold their own even if the prequels, and cartoons were never made. Star Wars is still popular because of the great product that is the original trilogy - not the prequels and TV shows made since.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Don't see that happening at all. A good ride is a good ride no matter what franchise it's based off of.

As others have mentioned, CarsLand. They are among the least popular Pixar movies (box office and critically speaking) but are probably the biggest (merchandise speaking) which is exactly why the land was built.

Star Tours was built 4 years after Return of the Jedi and 12 years before Phantom Menace and it's popularity never waned.

Indiana Jones was opened 6 years after The Last Crusade and 13 years before the other one we don't mention and it's one of the most popular rides at the park.

Even looking at the Fantasyland Dark Rides, I'm sure most people don't even realize that Mr. Toad is loosely based on an animated movie yet it's still pretty popular.

Harry Potter is quite popular in both literature and films. There will be re-releases, etc. No dead horse here.
    Touche, great points made.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well considering that building new apartments is part of the plan....Universal is not spending as much on the theme park as Disney did with DCA

Also competition breads excellent....it pushed Universal to make rides like JP, Transformers and Potterland...so there successes can only push Disney to try harder

The problem with USH is that most new additions require knocking down of existing attractions, meaning it may never become a full day park.

People say Disney should look out for Knotts, but I feel Knotts has the most to lose out of any of the local theme parks. Cedar Fair does not have the financial resources to build $100+ million attractions like Disney or Comcast do, yet neither does it have the physical space for the megacoasters the company is known for. If USH attendance shoots up I suspect that much of that growth will come at Knotts' expense.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!
    Just wanted to give you the heebie jeebies Greg.......
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Well considering that building new apartments is part of the plan....Universal is not spending as much on the theme park as Disney did with DCA

Also competition breads excellent....it pushed Universal to make rides like JP, Transformers and Potterland...so there successes can only push Disney to try harder
    The residential aspect of the evolution plan was dropped.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    ...I can sure count on .... the marketing folks at the offices in Burbank will have kittens! They will not tolerate Universal getting the spotlight ... while the DLR has nothing new to promote in the same year. Picture it ... bus stop signs ... billboard signs ... commercials .. the lot! And what will Disney be doing? Procrastinating!

Whatever imagineering has been developing ... I bet this latest news from Uni Hollywood .. .is going to accelerate things a bit.

If Disney wants to take some of that spotlight off Uni H ..... then they need something pretty darn great to make people go WOW!

We know what that should be - The long, beleaguered, and WAY over-due plan to renovate Tomorrowland. Not just one measly section of it ... the whole lot!
    High Five to Tomorrowland_1967 !

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    The residential aspect of the evolution plan was dropped.
    Thank goodness! Although the arterial parallel to Barham Boulevard also went away, so there goes a bit of the congestion relief. But if they at least build the bike path along the river from the subway station to Burbank, I think it will encourage more bike commuters to ditch their cars.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Well considering that building new apartments is part of the plan....Universal is not spending as much on the theme park
    Jerrod, that was the original plan, but after consulting with local residents, studio unions and other 'stakeholders' the residential plans were dropped in favor of a redevelopment that focuses only on tv/motion picture production, office space, as well as upgrades to the theme park.

Here is a map of the "NO RESIDENTIAL ALTERNATIVE" that was approved:

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012.09_evolp.jpg

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast