Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Re: Will USH expansion be a threat to the DLR in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    This will just spark a theme parks arms race between Disneyland and Universal like what happened in Florida in the 90s. It's not like TDA is as lazy as TDO after all.
    Well, I'm really not sure this will affect Disneyland. I mean, sure, in Florida, Universal is just up the road from WDW, but in SoCal, Universal is 34 miles away! That's a much bigger distance. I don't think Disneyland will be affected too much. I mean, Knott's Berry Farm is even closer, but you don't see them in a lot of competition with Disneyland.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    The residential aspect of the evolution plan was dropped.
    Ohh cool, good news for the Theme Park then

So does this mean they'll have more room at add rides and attractions?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Ohh cool, good news for the Theme Park then

So does this mean they'll have more room at add rides and attractions?
    No it means they have more STUDIO SPACE, look at the map I posted.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    Well, I'm really not sure this will affect Disneyland. I mean, sure, in Florida, Universal is just up the road from WDW, but in SoCal, Universal is 34 miles away! That's a much bigger distance. I don't think Disneyland will be affected too much. I mean, Knott's Berry Farm is even closer, but you don't see them in a lot of competition with Disneyland.
    Actually they do compete. But currently Disney has a LOT more money and resources that Knotts can barely keep up with. But there was a time when the competition was much more prevalent and while Disneyland was always the number one visited park in California, Knotts was a not-so-distant second. With Mart Ouimet in charge this competition is only going to get more intense over the years -- not less.

Combine this with what is going in at USH and if Disney doesn't do something quick it could be quite shocking what could happen with the popularity of the DLR.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Potter will be just fine. Its got a huge fanbase that grew up with it, reading the books and watching the movies. I was nine years old when the first film was released and I remember seeing it in theaters. I am going to raise my kids on Potter, and I'm sure the others like me will, too.
    You are definitely not alone. I'm so excited there will be a Harry Potter expansion. I will actually be able to go to this one.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, if things keep going they way they are going, then in about 25 years UNI might have passed up Disneyland. Disneyland has the nostalgia factor for locals, and that will probably never change, but if Universal becomes a better park then Disneyland, then I know I would at least split my visits between the two. I don't expect that to happen though, I think that as Disneyland sees more and more money going to Universal then they do to them, they'll really start investing again in Disneyland and give us a few new rides and spruce up some of the existing ones. I agree with most people on here that if Universal gets better, then Disney will have to get better, and the consumer wins in the end.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Universal has a nostalgia factor for locals, too.

Like I wrote earlier, Universal has a long way to go. However, WWOHP + 2 new attractions + Transformers is a huge leap for them.

Really, the Studio Tour needs a revamp. The new King Kong is great, but when I had a pass I only did it a few times. It would be nice if the tours were as intimate as, say, the Warner Bros. lot, but that'll never happen.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure there are more intimate VIP Tours available for Universal. But if not, the Warner Bros. tour is a good choice...

Warner Bros. VIP Tours | Official Site | Studio Tour Attraction | Film and TV Backlot Tour

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are more intimate VIP Tours available for Universal. But if not, the Warner Bros. tour is a good choice...

Warner Bros. VIP Tours | Official Site | Studio Tour Attraction | Film and TV Backlot Tour
    Yeah, it's just $300 per person.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Combine this with what is going in at USH and if Disney doesn't do something quick it could be quite shocking what could happen with the popularity of the DLR.
    Knott's has what, 3 million guests per year? DLR has a combined 22 million? I'm pretty sure it would take many more years for Knott's to catch up to DLR than Ouimet has left in his career.

The sad truth is that Knott's will never be able to compete with the bigger parks. When Disney opens something like Cars land, the best Knott's can do is open up a new coaster and throw a huge discount at the locals to come and see it.

People have been saying that USH and Knott's are going to catch up to Disney for years now, and it's just not going to happen. Disneyland's biggest competition (and the industry's as a whole) is the home entertainment market - and I see that being a far bigger problem before Knott's and Universal.

• Blew By You

I'm taking a different tack. Disney ought to encourage Universal to build a great attraction. Do not just lookout for onesself but look out for the area's economy. Disney, Universal, Knotts, Six Flags and Sea World can definitely coexist and create a great theme park destination that would help out all theme parks. I know this is kind of a Pollyana.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    People have been saying that USH and Knott's are going to catch up to Disney for years now, and it's just not going to happen. Disneyland's biggest competition (and the industry's as a whole) is the home entertainment market - and I see that being a far bigger problem before Knott's and Universal.
    I think your right here, while Harry Potterland will make an impact, the fact of the matter is USH will never catch up (let alone surpass Disneyland Resort). Its just never going to happen. There is no way that the small studio park can ever surpass a 2-park Disney resort.

I think places like Las Vegas are much more of a threat to Disneyland Resort than USH. Now don't get me wrong, I think Disney is keeping its eye out for Harry Potter and Im sure they will respond with a big ride/land that year as well. I just don't believe that Disney is as frightened about USH as alot of people assume.
    Last edited by NineteenTwenty8; 04-25-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Given its central location and access to transit USH does have the potential to draw 10+ million people per year but it really depends on how much money Comcast wants to devote to expanding the park. If they really want USH to compete with Disney then they'll have to at least double the number of attractions. Unfortunately the current expansion plans are mostly about studio/office/hotel space as well as infrastructure improvements, leaving very little of that $1.5 billion for the park itself.

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    I think your right here, while Harry Potterland will make an impact, the fact of the matter is USH will never catch up (let alone surpass Disneyland Resort). Its just never going to happen. There is no way that the small studio park can ever surpass a 2-park Disney resort.

I think places like Las Vegas are much more of a threat to Disneyland Resort than USH. Now don't get me wrong, I think Disney is keeping its eye out for Harry Potter and Im sure they will respond with a big ride/land that year as well. I just don't believe that Disney is as frightened about USH as alot of people assume.
    I agree for the most part. But King Kong is good. I hear Transformers is good. Waterworld will be replaced by an attraction, so will the Effects Stage, and T2 is becoming Despicable Me. Then you add Harry Potter...if Universal decided to "plus" the studio tour, it'd be a worthy rival. It'll never catch up or surpass, but Universal before the new King Kong was meh. In 2015, it could make a dent.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast