Storyteller Cafe Paintings

Does anyone know the stories behind the paintings in the Storytellers Cafe. I noticed the one of the paintings looks like Zorro but I was wondering if it had to do with California folklore or something. Thank you.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Storyteller Cafe Paintings

It's been a while since I've been there to remember them all but there is one that illustrates The Celebrated Jumping Frog Contest of Calaveras County which is a short story by Mark Twain, written while he was in California (Calaveras County being an actual county in California). In fact I think they still hold this contest every year!

And Zorro is also fictional but takes place in California when California belonged to Mexico.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 04-24-2013 at 05:09 AM.

• socal native

The murals are all from stories set in California. Twain's Jumping Frog, O'Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphins, and McCulley's Zorro are all pictured. A couple of years ago, a friend and I figured most of them out, but I can't remember them all right now (now I am going to go crazy trying to remember). I think one was from Jackson's Ramona. I know we had to ask a CM about one. The CMs know them, so I would ask them again. I am headed to the park tonight, so if i have time I will have to think about popping in and checking it out!

That's really cool! I've been there once, and I don't remember looking at the murals. Sounds like i need to go again.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Elk Grove Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It's been a while since I've been there to remember them all but there is one that illustrates The Celebrated Jumping Frog Contest of Calaveras County which is a short story by Mark Twain, written while he was in California (Calaveras County being an actual county in California). In fact I think they still hold this contest every year!

And Zorro is also fictional but takes place in California when California belonged to Mexico.
    Still takes place, all fun and games until someone whips out their African goliath frog.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

As others have said, the murals represent different stories from California folklore. There are seven of them and they include The Jumping Frogs of Calaveras County, Island of the Blue Dolphin, Ramona, and Zorro. I know one features Native Americans around a fire and another has an old man telling tales to a group of dogs, but I'm not too sure about which stories those represent.

Another fun fact about Storytellers decor is the large tile mural of a child reading a book is a reproduction of one that was done in the 1920's for the Robin Hood Room at the public library in Wilmington, CA. called "Child's Storybook World".

Storyteller's has some of my favorite decor in the whole resort. I'm becoming an elementary teacher and love storytelling and CA history, so it just fits me. It's stories, it's nature, it's California; all things I love. The motifs in the restaurant actually helped to inspire my first tattoo which is a tree that goes down my left arm with a book tangled amongst the roots.

Wow thank you everyone. I cannot wait to eat there in May.

• New Member Goes Forth

Quote Originally Posted by JereJ23 View Post
    Wow thank you everyone. I cannot wait to eat there in May.
    Same here, can't wait to see it again
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• socal native

Just an update to my previous post. I stopped by Storytellers last night, and talked to a CM about the paintings. I was mistaken on the one portrait of the mission style garden. It is not Ramona, but Gertrude Atherton's The Californians. The portrait of the Natives around a fire is called Awanhee, from a Miwok tribal story. The one of a ship is from a Jack London short story, I believe it was The Cruise of the Dazzler. I have the remaining two written down, but left them at home this morning.

Hope this helps. The CMs were really helpful, and had a little booklet with all the paintings and a brief synopsis of the story's California connection.

Quote Originally Posted by elsa View Post
    Just an update to my previous post. I stopped by Storytellers last night, and talked to a CM about the paintings. I was mistaken on the one portrait of the mission style garden. It is not Ramona, but Gertrude Atherton's The Californians. The portrait of the Natives around a fire is called Awanhee, from a Miwok tribal story. The one of a ship is from a Jack London short story, I believe it was The Cruise of the Dazzler. I have the remaining two written down, but left them at home this morning.

Hope this helps. The CMs were really helpful, and had a little booklet with all the paintings and a brief synopsis of the story's California connection.
    Thank you so much for taking time out to ask about the paintings for all of us who were curious. I always though the mission was Ramona too! Interesting to hear it;s something else. I got to check that out. I figured the Native American one had to be something Miwok; that nation of people was spread throughout so much of CA and have a rich literary history. I totally forgot about Jack London. The Cruise of the Dazzler or Sea-Wolf both seem to fit that painting. I can't wait to hear what the others are. Thank you again! I'm going to ask about this next time. I just love CA history. I do wonder why they didn't include John Steinbeck among the paintings. He is my favorite author and among the most famous of CA writers. East of Eden and The Grapes of Wrath remain my top two favorite books.

• socal native

It was a long night last night, with an earlier morning to work today, so I am drawing a blank on the other two titles. However, if I remember correctly, one of the two is a short story by Steinbeck. Update to follow when I get home tonight.

• socal native

Alright, here's the run down of the pictures:
    The painting of the girl with the dog is from Island of the Blue Dolphins by O'Dell.
    The next, with the miners and jumping frogs, is Twain's The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.
    Third is the tale of Ahwahnee by the Miwoks. It shows a native storyteller with smoke from a fire creating a bear figure.
    On the other side of the restaurant is The Californians by Atherton, The Cruise of the Dazzler by London, and The Mark of Zorro by McCulley.
    The final painting is from Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat. This is the one of the miner telling a story to his dogs.

Be sure to ask a CM about the pictures next time you visit. They have information for each of the pictures and, as with most CM interactions, they were more than willing to share.

Quote Originally Posted by elsa View Post
    Alright, here's the run down of the pictures:
    The painting of the girl with the dog is from Island of the Blue Dolphins by O'Dell.
    The next, with the miners and jumping frogs, is Twain's The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.
    Third is the tale of Ahwahnee by the Miwoks. It shows a native storyteller with smoke from a fire creating a bear figure.
    On the other side of the restaurant is The Californians by Atherton, The Cruise of the Dazzler by London, and The Mark of Zorro by McCulley.
    The final painting is from Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat. This is the one of the miner telling a story to his dogs.

Be sure to ask a CM about the pictures next time you visit. They have information for each of the pictures and, as with most CM interactions, they were more than willing to share.
    Thanks so much for sharing! I should have known it was Tortilla Flats.

Thank you Elsa!!!