1. The original Star Tours is pitch perfect in every single way except for visual transitions. If they updated the original show beat for beat, it would be amazing.
2. The hologram in the new Star Tours is a neat effect but slows the pacing down a bit.
3. The music is really choppy. The reason for this is because no new music was re-recorded or re-orchestrated for the ride. Michael Giacchino and John Williams (this is what I believe as accurate but may not be precise) picked the cues and edited it together. The original Star Tours music was selected from existing Star Wars music, re-recorded by an orchestra conducted by Richard Bellis. Bellis added extra music to go inbetween the main cues linking them together so it felt organic and you almost don't notice it anymore because it's so perfect. Richard also composed the famous Star Tours chime you still hear today.
4. It would be cool if a destination was added randomly over the Gate A, B, C, D, etc so that we can pretend "oh we're going to X planet today!". It can still be random but synced to the ride's first planet destination. The 2nd planet can still be a surprise as is the hologram and opening with Vader or Stormtroopers.
5. Adding new locations to the ride wouldn't be hard but Disney would need the foresight to do it while the new movies are being made. I imagine that Anthony Daniels will return for Episode VII so it wouldn't be difficult to get him to record new dialogue as well.
I'm actually hoping they at least give us two new locations (one new first planet and one new second planet) with each movie release, giving that ride even more longevity and excitement as the years go on.