Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• The Pumpkin King

Question Will Star Tours Ever Get A Tweak In It's Motion And Whats The Actual Destination?

I have brought this up before in the Star Tours review threads, but I was sitting down and thought to myself how motionless the ride feels, and it still bugs me.

The original ride have more motion to it in my opinion and the feeling of the ride matched what you were seeing on the screen, well to me anyway. The new version felt motionless 80% of the time. It kind of takes the fun out of it.

Also, where was our Star Speeder programed to go? In the original version, we all knew that our destination was Endor.

Or, is this version of Star Tours supposed to be an actual "Tour" of the galaxy and not a means of Transportation from one planet to another?

Also, does anyone find that the new Star Tours lacks flow (if that's the right word to use) in the music from one scene to the next?

Example: When you come of out the asteroid belt and into the Death Star, it just seems sloppy music and scene transition.

Or is it just me?

• Filmmaker

Re: Will Star Tours Ever Get A Tweak In It's Motion And Whats The Actual Destination?

The new Star Tours lacks flow in more than just the music. The randomizer is a neat idea on paper, but in practice it effectively kills the pacing of the attraction. The original attraction had near pitch-perfect pacing, but the new version makes the whole thing sort of a disjointed mess. It doesn't build upon itself or culminate in anything, it's just one random fan servicy action scene followed by another.

As for the motion, I've never particularly found it to be problematic, but if new scenes were added to address the underlying problem of pacing, some more dramatic movements would be welcome.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Will Star Tours Ever Get A Tweak In It's Motion And Whats The Actual Destination?

The continuity does lack, but I appreciate that it's not the same every time. I see it as a pro.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• New Member Goes Forth

I agree. Personally, the original was becvoming very cheesy, but it a had a story, that its what makes it superior to the new incarnation of the attraction.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Parking Lot > DCA

I don't think there is a final "destination" in this version. I think a little imagination could used, but everything comes to a halt before you even take off, as the Empire is essentially chasing after you the whole time. Now it's up to quite possibly the two most famous droids in the galaxy (who now work at a travel agency) to get the space bus with guns, and the Rebel Spy to a safe destination as per R2D2's coordinates.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I just hope we get new destinations when the new movies come out

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I just hope we get new destinations when the new movies come out
    Oh, YES!

Bu that would mean that here would be more scripts for Anthony Daniels to do for each new scene correct? Also wouldn't there need to be some re-programing?

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    Oh, YES!

Bu that would mean that here would be more scripts for Anthony Daniels to do for each new scene correct? Also wouldn't there need to be some re-programing?
    Yeah, but all of that stuff can be done in Glendale while the attraction in still running. The ride is mostly software and as we've seen with TSMM and WoC software is easy to swap out with minimal (if any) downtime.

• Former Churro Jockey

I noticed the lack of destination too, but that's a minor issue. I guess you can just make one up for yourself (mine would be Naboo, visually the prettiest planet in Star Wars). The things that bugs me the most is that this Star Tours is supposed to take place around Episodes III - IV, but they have the death star from Return of the Jedi in one of the possible scenes. The pod racer scene also bugs me a little bit just because there is no reason at all for us to jump into the pod race, even though it is actually pretty fun. I didn't really think that there is a difference in motion that I could tell.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so of course I still go on Star Tours every time I go to the park, but with that being said I really miss the old ST. I think the only reason the motion feels less noticable is because the on screen animation moves faster than the simulator can realistically portray.

I remember reading somewhere that on the old ST a programmer sat for a couple days matching the simulator motion base with the on screen movements.[citation needed] Not to mention the use of minature practical sets enhanced the realism even more. I won't begin with my well written rant about all the issues with the new ST, but believe me, it exists lol.
    "Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding. Perhaps you sense a disquieting metamorphosis occurring? Is this room actually stretching, or is it your imagination?"

- I think we all know where this is from

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by ewokrights View Post
    Not to mention the use of minature practical sets enhanced the realism even more.
    This. This times about 1,000. Some CGI is definitely appropriate for a Star Wars attraction, but the fact that there is almost no practical effects work or physical locations/sets is to the detriment of the attraction. When you oversaturate something with CGI it just feels like a cartoon; there's no two ways about it.

If WDI is smart they'll work in conjunction with the filmmakers of the new movies and utilize their sets, props, etc. (perhaps even some of the cast).

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I noticed the lack of destination too, but that's a minor issue. I guess you can just make one up for yourself (mine would be Naboo, visually the prettiest planet in Star Wars). The things that bugs me the most is that this Star Tours is supposed to take place around Episodes III - IV, but they have the death star from Return of the Jedi in one of the possible scenes. The pod racer scene also bugs me a little bit just because there is no reason at all for us to jump into the pod race, even though it is actually pretty fun. I didn't really think that there is a difference in motion that I could tell.
    It takes place as Episode 3.4 so they could fit both eras into the ride.

The Pod Race was Lucas's wish because he loves the pod racing.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    This. This times about 1,000. Some CGI is definitely appropriate for a Star Wars attraction, but the fact that there is almost no practical effects work or physical locations/sets is to the detriment of the attraction. When you oversaturate something with CGI it just feels like a cartoon; there's no two ways about it.

If WDI is smart they'll work in conjunction with the filmmakers of the new movies and utilize their sets, props, etc. (perhaps even some of the cast).
    The CGI character models like Han Solo in the background look cartoony.

Why didn't Disney just lend money to Lucas so they could use real physical props?

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    The Pod Race was Lucas's wish because he loves the pod racing.
    It's really sad that it's come to this, but at this point the less say Lucas has in Star Wars the better.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by ewokrights View Post
    I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so of course I still go on Star Tours every time I go to the park, but with that being said I really miss the old ST. I think the only reason the motion feels less noticable is because the on screen animation moves faster than the simulator can realistically portray.

I remember reading somewhere that on the old ST a programmer sat for a couple days matching the simulator motion base with the on screen movements.[citation needed] Not to mention the use of minature practical sets enhanced the realism even more. I won't begin with my well written rant about all the issues with the new ST, but believe me, it exists lol.
    Star Wars fan here too. I go on it every time I go to the DL.

Not only that reason, but I think its also because the star speeder goes "straight" a lot of the time with a few turns. Also going lightspeed now just feels like you're sitting there watching a blue tunnel, the old ST had a better feeling of motion when going lightspeed. I can say same for when you're star speeder is going straight down, no sensation of that at all.

Yes I totally agree.

Nah go ahead and rant

I want to know what everyone thinks about this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast