Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Evil is Sexy

Re: Best Disneyland Canoeing Memories?

I love the canoes! So much fun. My husband and I enjoy the participation (exercise) part as much as the scenery. I just get so frustrated with guests who can't not splash or drag their paddles. If you don't want to row, just sit with your paddle in your lap.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Our Cast Member had a name for the Mark Twain barreling up behind us...
    S.S. Motivation

• Seeker of Fun

I think for me it's the slowing down a bit, and looking around, and enjoying my family. I also refuse to row. (just kidding)
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Minion

It was that, for sure!
    And had I worked days it might have been a little more workable. Just show up for work early, do canoe races, then go to work.
    I always liked nights though....and the ambiance of the park at that time.
    So canoe races were tough.
    I knew tons of people who did it though, even those with night shifts.
    And they loved it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Haha yah that's gotta be tough. But it was a great experience for me. It was just bonding with coworkers in a different and fun way. It's what I miss the most about working there.

hahahaha I pray for that to happen to me. Never does!

• Thinking about doughnuts

I used to go to Disneyland with a very large college group. The people in charge of the group would make sure we had two complete canoes and then the first canoe would row a little while and then stop rowing to let the second canoe catch up. Then we'd have the race. I don't remember the cast members getting mad but this was 35 years ago. I raced twice and lost twice. I blame the other people. I more than pulled my weight. It's still my best canoeing memory but it would be better if I'd been in the winning canoe at least once.

• the rockawho?

when i was a kid, i remember watching a group of people in the canoe near the front of TSI fall into the water....

a rather large woman stood up in the canoe to wave to her friends.....the canoe flip over and everyone fell out....

that is one disney memory i will never forget

• Sock Puppet

Although I have been on the Canoes several times, I don't have any memories that strike me as the best. I do remember my worst one though I was on the Canoes, just paddling my fair share, when a splash fight broke out infront of me, about five splashes later, the person infront of me accidentally splashed backwards... Lets just say I was more drenched than anyone else that was in the splash war...

• Blew By You

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    My favorite memories are early in the morning before the park opens. The cast member canoe races! 10 people per team and everyone actually ROWING. We zip around the island so fast and some canoers fall into the water. It's fun.
    Great times too. One year, I was taking summer classes at UCLA but I wanted to participate in the Canoe Races. So for three times, I'd wake up at 4:00 AM, race at 5:30 or 6:00, drive back to UCLA for my class, then drive back down to Disneyland for my evening shift. Good craziness in a way.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post
    when i was a kid, i remember watching a group of people in the canoe near the front of TSI fall into the water....

a rather large woman stood up in the canoe to wave to her friends.....the canoe flip over and everyone fell out....

that is one disney memory i will never forget
    OMG, seriously!?!? Funny to laugh about it now, right?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    OMG, seriously!?!?
    The story is doubtful. The canoes have flat, concrete bottoms and a very low center of gravity. They can be capsized (one did in the summer of 1987), but only if a group of passengers work together to make it happen. A "large woman standing up to wave to her friends" isn't going to do it.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

A canoe doesn't need to capsize. It can "flip" to the side. A woman standing up can fall over since she will bring the center of gravity higher. After falling, the canoe will return to its normal position. She would have to be rather heavy to make everyone else fall out. This depends on whether she is struggling to stay in and pull the boat over.

My husband and I freakin' LOVE the canoes! "you don't row, we don't go!" We used to ride them all the time. The last time we were in Disneyland we were just dating, so now that we're going this week for the first time in 8 years, and with our 2 littles (4yo and 20 months) in tow for their first trip its doubtful we can go on them but they are awesome.

And I'll admit that I have "accidentally" splashed some dead weight and some "splashers" but not anyone who wasn't "deserving" or wouldn't have had a good laugh about it. I'm not normally one to do such a thing but its my dirty little disneyland secret and good memory.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    A canoe doesn't need to capsize. It can "flip" to the side. A woman standing up can fall over since she will bring the center of gravity higher. After falling, the canoe will return to its normal position. She would have to be rather heavy to make everyone else fall out. This depends on whether she is struggling to stay in and pull the boat over.
    In theory, perhaps. Still, the story that a large woman stood up and "the canoe flipped over and everyone flew out" sounds extremely doubtful.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• the rockawho?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In theory, perhaps. Still, the story that a large woman stood up and "the canoe flipped over and everyone flew out" sounds extremely doubtful.

doubtful? Believe what you want to believe....

i was there....i know what i saw

the lady was pretty big...she struggled to stand up to wave to friends...the canoe rocked to one side and she fell out along with other passengers

it is probably my top 3 disney memories along with a fight breaking out during the parade near main street and new years eve

• my favorite sociopath

Now I'm curious, what do you do if the canoe flips over? Is the river deep or do you stand up and walk back?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast