Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: How will Knotts Berry Farm Renovations and New Rides affect the DLR this summer?

My guess is not much if any. Of course that's my personal opinion. I don't care for KBF at all. It seems like such a cluster of a park. When I do go i'm there maybe 4 hours tops and then ready to leave. I can spend all day at DLR and never get sick of it.

Re: How will Knotts Berry Farm Renovations and New Rides affect the DLR this summer?

I just don't think Cedar Fair is a good fit with Knotts. It seems Matt O. is doing what he can with what few resources are available to him but in the long run I just don't think it's enough to compete in the SoCal market, especially now that USH appears to be stepping up.

Knotts has tremendous potential but CF would have to devote the bulk of their resources to improving the park in order for that potential to be realized. Unfortunately there's little chance of that happening, so it would not surprise me if Knotts gets sold off in the not too distant future, maybe to somebody like Seaworld/Blackstone who would be a better fit, IMO.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    How long has Matt Quimet been there so far? And since he's been there have there been any dramatic changes to the park in their opinion? In fact can someone tell me what what was the last major attraction added they really liked? I think for me it was Ghost Rider and thats what a decade old? And even then its just another wooden coaster I rode all over the place. I think thats the problem.
    He came in shortly after Windseeker was first installed. So not too long. There haven't been any dramatic changes as of yet, but he has cleaned up the place quite significantly since then. It is a much nicer looking park now then it was before he came on board.

Keep in mind that he is in charge of Cedar Fair and not just Knott's. So there is a lot on his plate. For example there is much to do in regards to Great America and the 49ers moving in next door. And there are definitely issues with the other parks as well. That being stated, Knott's is extremely important to CF as it is their only year-round park and being next door to Disneyland definitely places it in a unique and relatively important place compared to their other parks. Changes will come, and just as the changes to USH is going to effect the DLR no doubt, I am sure it will effect Knott's as well.

All the parks will be improving over the next several years -- Knotts, USH, and DL. And this is a good thing not just for DL but for the entire industry in So Cal as well.

• the rockawho?

i doubt Knotts will make a dent in disney's revenue.....

i remember back in the day where both parks were heavily competing against each other....

disneyland has improved while knotts took a nose dive....only thing keeping knotts alive is the halloween haunt....

disney can raise their prices and survive....

knotts needed to lower their tickets and passes to get people to go the park....with lower ticket prices, they are attracting the wrong crowd....tons of hoodlums and gangbangers

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post

i remember back in the day where both parks were heavily competing against each other....

disneyland has improved while knotts took a nose dive....only thing keeping knotts alive is the halloween haunt....

knotts needed to lower their tickets and passes to get people to go the park....with lower ticket prices, they are attracting the wrong crowd....tons of hoodlums and gangbangers
    Hit the nail on the head.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    My wife and I have been tempted to buy passes for KBF, but it seems like many of the awesome rides/walk through's that I remember as a child of the late 70's & 80's are now extinct. I love me some Ghost Town, Log Ride, Mine Train and those types of rides. I've never been into roller coasters, or things that spin, flip, gyrate, etc...

We just are concerned that we would go a couple of times tops, and be burned out. The last 5 times I've visited KBF was for KSF, and that is all. I'd love to go back in the day time to check it all out again.
    This is the only way Knotts will be able to truly compete with Disneyland... if ever. Disneyland is seen as a "family" type of park. It has a mix of attractions and rides that appeal to various members of a family. It has a few "thrill" type of rides like Screamin' and Tower, but it has a lot of things that grandma and grandpa and enjoy with the little ones. Six Flags (even though I haven't been there in 35 years) is more geared to the younger generation, and the people that like the pure thrill coaster type of rides.

Knotts will have to try to figure out its own demographic it wants to go after. It will have to think long and hard about what kind of a park it really wants to be and to aim to that goal. I think its something that will be evolving over the next few years. But I do think that in time it will become more of a "local" hangout, in the way Disneyland use to be simply due to the substancial difference in price between the annual passes for each.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Matt Ouimet is now in charge of Cedar Fair. If anything Knotts is going to go forwards now - not backwards matter the Log Ride is refurbed, the Mine Ride is next. And he has acknowledged the necessity of another dark ride going in.
    It won't help. Knott's already has a reputation as a thrill park. Adding another dark ride will not change that, and at the same time it will alienate their current demographic of thrill seekers. Unless they were willing to rip out their coasters and spend several hundred million on dark rides and movie franchise tie-ins, they won't be able to change the reputation of the park.

Knott's is what it is, and it will never be anything else. You can't change your reputation in this market. That's exactly what Disney tried to do with DCA and it didn't work. You can't be anything more than what you are.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    It won't help. Knott's already has a reputation as a thrill park. Adding another dark ride will not change that, and at the same time it will alienate their current demographic of thrill seekers. Unless they were willing to rip out their coasters and spend several hundred million on dark rides and movie franchise tie-ins, they won't be able to change the reputation of the park.

Knott's is what it is, and it will never be anything else. You can't change your reputation in this market. That's exactly what Disney tried to do with DCA and it didn't work. You can't be anything more than what you are.
    Well, DCA actually DID change its reputation in the market, but it took a billion dollar makeover to accomplish that. There is NO way that Cedar Fair will spend that kind of money on Knotts. Years ago Knotts decided that it wanted to become a thrill park along the lines of a Six Flags, it would be a huge undertaking and cost ALOT of money to reverse that course now.

Quimet is a good leader, what you'll see under his leadership is a cleaner park, more ride refurbs etc, but that park will never see heavily theme attractions on par with what Disney and Universal are currently doing. Theres just no way. Knotts will always be a thrill park with heavy discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post

I'm letting my PAP expire this year, too many one time family expenses coming up, and I've thought about Knotts. But this worries me a bit. I guess I could just try it and see how I like it. I feel that taking a one year DLR break will help me appreciate it once I go back, but I want something to keep me entertained in the meantime, besides the aquarium.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie Momma View Post
    I'm letting my PAP expire this year, too many one time family expenses coming up, and I've thought about Knotts. But this worries me a bit. I guess I could just try it and see how I like it. I feel that taking a one year DLR break will help me appreciate it once I go back, but I want something to keep me entertained in the meantime, besides the aquarium.
    Ever thought about just getting a lower tier annual pass for Disney? get the deluxe or select.

• Minion

A lot of you are looking at this all wrong I think. Knott's will not steal Disney's profits by becoming Disneyland...it's differentiation that propels business.

The problem Knott's has is actually not that it's not enough like Disneyland. It just lacks the theming of Disneyland but also the thrills of Magic Mountain. What Knott's could use is actually less of the rides that make Disneyland special. If Knott's added more dark rides, would people honestly still choose Knott's over Disneyland? No. There's no ring to "we're taking a vacation to Knott's Berry Farm!"

What Knott's needs is quality theming that compliments its collection of thrill rides. Give the older Disneyland crowd the immersion and comfort Disney offers, but the rides and adrenaline Disney can't. There's a PP-esque area at Knott's with rides much more thrilling than those at DCA, but the problem is it's not as pretty or well-themed. If Knott's could get away from the bland amusement park stereotype, they could easily grab some of Disneyland's audience. Those of you who are saying it only attracts gangbangers are the types of people who could be swayed. If Knott's cleaned up and got more immersion, while retaining its thrill element, it could grab a significant Disney demographic. The problem is their lack of space, and possible unwillingness to do so.

While DLR is a better park overall, Knotts is the better value. And for the most part if you like more thrilling rides it is a much better park.

•   

I do not thing it will affect DLR. I Also think that Disney are all ready planning for disneyland park 60th Anniversary in 2015.

• world class bilge rat

For me, if Knotts had more slow rides, I'd almost certainly include it in my vacations.

I still remember the berry pie ride; it was one of the best ever.

A few more like that one and I'd go for sure.

The trouble with Knotts for me is that since I don't like thrill rides, there aren't enough slow rides to justify buying a ticket. A couple of hours is just not worth it.

Years ago, when DL and Knotts had similar rides, I always went to both parks. But as noted, DL kept improving, while Knotts was in a state of decline. So I stopped going to Knotts, but continued to visit DL.

• Animatronic

I like coasters, but not the ones at Knott's. Most are too short with no scenery. Ghost Rider is a good length with fun views, but it's uncomfortable and shakes way too much. Both Magic Mountain and Disneyland Resort have better coasters.

I am, however, looking forward to a revamped Log Ride and a re-opening of something in the Kingdom of the Foamasaurs building.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast