Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: They ever going to reopen the fort or do anything with the North end of TSI?

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    It would be great to have it open again. I loved going through the fort in the Magic Kingdom at WDW last year. My grands loved it even though it was raining and stayed until we were all chased out.
    Is the fort in WDW even open? I haven't gone there to look, even though I've been on the island at least once since getting a pass.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Re: They ever going to reopen the fort or do anything with the North end of TSI?

last time I was at WDW the fort was open, and they still had their escape tunnel! Pretty excited to run through it again (even if I was 32!)

• Parking Lot > DCA

Like others have said, it's used as a dressing room/storage for Fantasmic, as well as it's not compliant for guests anymore. I don't see it re-opening again.

• Banned User

The fort is closed in large part due to the large amount of relatively dangerous work of the daily transportation of food and trash to and from the island. Also, guests would leave their cups and trash all over the island, not the easiest place to clean. Without brownies, cokes and chips . . . the fort isn't much of a draw on its own.

Same reason why Mark Twain no longer has drinks, guests would throw their cup over board.

The fort is obviously ADA compliant as it is accesible as anything on TSI. They could just close the upper level (if it was still there!) and keep closed the secret entrance if rebuild was an issue, but I doubt that the fort lost its grandfather status, even if it did, just keep the first floor open and it is ADA compliant.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 04-28-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    I heard Fort Wilderness had closed because of termite damage. It hadn't been fumigated in years.
    I heard it was carpenter bees, big fat bees that bore holes into wood.

• Minion

ORWEN: Carpenter bees? I wonder if they ever sang songs like, 'We've Only Just Begun to Chomp'?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The fort is obviously ADA compliant as it is accesible as anything on TSI. They could just close the upper level (if it was still there!) and keep closed the secret entrance if rebuild was an issue, but I doubt that the fort lost its grandfather status, even if it did, just keep the first floor open and it is ADA compliant.
    If it had to be rebuilt from the ground up, it is a new structure and would then have to comply with all current safety and ADA rules.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    I heard it was carpenter bees, big fat bees that bore holes into wood.
    These bees are giving carpentry a bad name.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    If it had to be rebuilt from the ground up, it is a new structure and would then have to comply with all current safety and ADA rules.
    Right now, all Fort Wilderness is is picnic tables/rest area/storage/restrooms. While they torn down the old termite infested walls, I think some of the original structure is still there (at least foundations and plumbing), so would this be a modification of an existing structure? Beats me.

Obviously, as cms use this area, it is uptodate safety wise. I don't see any ADA issues as there is no longer a second story, but what about the bathrooms?
    Last edited by chesirecat; 04-29-2013 at 10:32 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The public restrooms are still open for guests, the doors are on the exterior of the fort.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    The public restrooms are still open for guests, the doors are on the exterior of the fort.
    I wonder if they're ADA compliant though.

• -

I wonder if they're ADA compliant though.
    I think there is a ramp leading to them. It's been awhile since I've used them and when I am just walking by I am not looking for those things.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• "I don't like the color"

The fort is closed in large part due to the large amount of relatively dangerous work of the daily transportation of food and trash to and from the island. Also, guests would leave their cups and trash all over the island, not the easiest place to clean. Without brownies, cokes and chips . . . the fort isn't much of a draw on its own.

Same reason why Mark Twain no longer has drinks, guests would throw their cup over board.

Where did you get the idea the Fort was closed due to routine trash maintenance? It was closed due to the deteriorating condition of the Fort as well as safety concerns after a little girl got her finger tore off on one of the rifles. After it was rebuilt it turned to strictly Fantasmic use. Also, there are CM's who do patrol the island for trash, just as they do on the mainland.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Where did you get the idea the Fort was closed due to routine trash maintenance? It was closed due to the deteriorating condition of the Fort as well as safety concerns after a little girl got her finger tore off on one of the rifles. After it was rebuilt it turned to strictly Fantasmic use. Also, there are CM's who do patrol the island for trash, just as they do on the mainland.
    Part of the decision not to rebuild the fort for guest use was due to the fact that it is relatively dangerous to transport the food and trash to and from the fort, as well as the onerous task of trash pick-up on the island. If the long term decision had already been made years before to not bring back the food service, the location overall had less of a draw/purpose when they decided what to do about the termites.

So, it was combination of factors, but I think that the brownies and sodas (for those of us who remember) were a nice draw for the island and when they decided to stop the food service, it was all downhill from there.

After said accident, they closed the rifle tower, but the attraction stayed open.

IF, they had still served drinks and brownies/snacks . . . they *could* have rebuilt the fort (heck they got a fiberglass on in WDW), with the purpose of using it as a counter service location.

In the end it was a combination of things, but I don't see why they couldn't have remediated the safety issues in the riffle roosts.

• formerly very helpful

I had heard that it was closed largely due to rotting wood. I imagine ANYTHING could be fixed or rebuilt, but it all needs money, and a willingness to spend it. Even if they never reopen the fort, it would be cool if they built something else theme appropriate there, like an Indian village or something for guests to explore.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast