Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

Is Disney Making a Mistake With the Trackless Ride Vehicles?

I was extremely disappointed when the Disneyland version of Winnie The Pooh ended up far inferior to the Tokyo Disneyland version -- and I thought that Anaheim's decision not to use the trackless ride system was a huge mistake.

Now I learn that the Ratatouille attraction slated for Disneyland Paris will also feature the trackless ride system and that the entire ride experience will take place on a single floor of the show building.

What a minute. The drops in the Pirates of the Caribbean are essential to that experience -- imagine POTC without them. Universal made great use of a tracked motion base in the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey attraction by making the ride vehicles move in three dimensions.

Disney's use of trackless ride systems (with the exception of the Hollywood Tower of Terror in Orlando) appears stuck in one plane of motion. Is this a serious failure of ride design on the part of Imagineering?
    Name:  ratatouillevehicle2-1 (Custom).jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  174.0 KB

• "I don't like the color"

Re: Is Disney Making a Mistake With the Trackless Ride Vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    I was extremely disappointed when the Disneyland version of Winnie The Pooh ended up far inferior to the Tokyo Disneyland version -- and I thought that Anaheim's decision not to use the trackless ride system was a huge mistake.

Now I learn that the Ratatouille attraction slated for Disneyland Paris will also feature the trackless ride system and that the entire ride experience will take place on a single floor of the show building.

What a minute. The drops in the Pirates of the Caribbean are essential to that experience -- imagine POTC without them. Universal made great use of a tracked motion base in the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey attraction by making the ride vehicles move in three dimensions.

Disney's use of trackless ride systems (with the exception of the Hollywood Tower of Terror in Orlando) appears stuck in one plane of motion. Is this a serious failure of ride design on the part of Imagineering?
    Name:  ratatouillevehicle2-1 (Custom).jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  174.0 KB
    Why do you consider it a failure? Maybe it was only designed for one purpose of being a flat line vehicle.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Why do you consider it a failure? Maybe it was only designed for one purpose of being a flat line vehicle.
    The POTC boats were originally thought to be a single plan ride vehicle, but they found a way to have them ride down rails in a waterfall. Though this was driven largely by the need to reach the Show Building outside the berm, it was such a great element to the attraction that Disney kept it in the ride design at WDW even though no berm was present.

The Imagineers have to think beyond the obvious limitations!

• Under that tree again!

I think you have oversimplified for creating argument. There are many more possibilities for trackless ride systems.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I think you have oversimplified for creating argument. There are many more possibilities for trackless ride systems.
    Then why isn't Disney utilizing them?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    Then why isn't Disney utilizing them?
    What?

I think you are completely missing the point of the trackless ride system as both Winnie the Pooh and Mystic Manor have vehicle motions that are significantly more complex and interesting than anything Pirates or Potter can ever dream of.

How would a change in elevation improve Ratatouille, Mystic Manor, or Hunny Hunt? By the way, the trackless ride portion of TOT is still on one plane. Additionally, the track of Forbidden Journey doesn't have a change in elevation. There's no point in a change of elevation in dark rides unless it adds to the experience or saves space.

Rave, the Harry Potter vehicles are far more complex than the trackless ride system cars.

• Can Only Wish For More!

Also remember, Ratatouille is on one floor because they're using the height of the building to enhance the ride. You're supposed to be the size of a rat!

I'd love to hear your ideas as to how Disney can enhance this technology! I honestly have no clue what they could do.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

To get an idea what the trackless ride vehicle can do, check out a sample from ETF Rides who I believe might be building the system for Disney. ETF Group*-*ETF Group - Nederweert - Holland

I think it will be interesting to see how they use the trackless ride systems in Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin ride at Sea World.

• Nor Cal AP'er

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    To get an idea what the trackless ride vehicle can do, check out a sample from ETF Rides who I believe might be building the system for Disney. ETF Group*-*ETF Group - Nederweert - Holland

I think it will be interesting to see how they use the trackless ride systems in Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin ride at Sea World.

If the Indiana Jones Ride and a Roomba had a kid this would be the result!
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

Not sure what I think of this... the opportunities of the trackless system aren't entirely realized yet, and if there is an elevation problem that can't be worked around. Generally, I don't think this is a problem unless for one of the two reasons mentioned above, to make better use of space or to provide a better experience. The major reason I don't think they use them in the US parks is probably because of the cost. Generally, the tracked rides are more traditional and I think Disney just uses them because they're well, cheaper, and unless it's a very popular ride that would be a people eater, I'm just not sure they'd really use it. So really it might not be an imagineering issue so much as it is an issue with management.

• Hot FIRE!

It's not about what the ride system is capable of but what you do with it that matter. The best tech out there doesn't guarantee a great ride experience. Sometimes simpler is better

...As I see it

• New Member Goes Forth

Disney need to stay ahead of their competition, so investment in this is vital. Immagineering can do great work when they put their mind towards a world class attraction
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

I could use more Mystic Manor in my life. It doesn't matter to me what tech they are using to bring the story to life, only that what they are using is effective in doing it.
    To me, Disneyland has been a bit prosaic in that department as of late.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror does not use the same system seen at Pooh's Hunny Hunt or Mystic Manor. The former is a guide-by-wire system and the latter use the LPS system.

Limitations exist for every ride system and at present one for LPS is the need for a flat floor surface.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast