Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Since Space Mountain closed, Please TLC It!

Quote Originally Posted by bamato View Post
    I was going to recommend something along those lines. Turning fluorescent lights on and off constantly drastically shortens the lifespan of the lamps and ballasts. Disney may have realized this and is holding out for something more efficient and with lower maintenance costs.
    Yeah I was thinking along this line as well. This may be why Disney hasn't fixed the Observatron sculpture (not that it was any good anyways) - they're probably just gonna take it out in the TL refurb in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    What I don't get is why at Disneyland, the attractions aren't kept up and maintained quality and are just left there for 10+ until they finally get a refurb. But since it was not maintained the whole time, the attraction has to be closed down even longer than if they just did regular up keeping.
    Clearly you haven't been on [insert any Walt Disney World Attraction here] in the last decade. They literally will keep rides open until they're breaking down so often they're forced to close them. And show quality? Preventative maintenance? What's that? There have been so many times an attraction has been down for days in need of one part that is 'on order'.

• Sock Puppet

On Wikipedia, our Space Mountain is under the status of 'SBNO': Standing But Not Operating. Since the PeopleMover and Rocket Rod Wikipedia articles are under this status, too, do you think the WDW locals think ours is closed for good? I keep on thinking about that.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BTM85 View Post
    Clearly you haven't been on [insert any Walt Disney World Attraction here] in the last decade. They literally will keep rides open until they're breaking down so often they're forced to close them. And show quality? Preventative maintenance? What's that? There have been so many times an attraction has been down for days in need of one part that is 'on order'.
    that's a huge exaggeration. I've had more rides break down on me at DLR than WDW overall. I may have hit it on a bad day, but once nearly every major ride was down at about the same time. That's never happened at WDW.

It's a common fad on this board to criticize WDW because it's farther away and pointing out the Florida parks' flaws justifies having the smaller size of DL, but there's very little truth to these criticisms (or if there are, they are hyperbolized).

Take it from someone who experiences both coasts each year...WDW isn't in as bad of shape as most people here make it out to be. There's no need for the bashing

• Former Churro Jockey

Even if they could access every part of the ride I wouldn't expect very much maintenance to be taking place. The department that handles that at Disneyland is called Facilities, and they have their schedule laid out for the year already, so there would be no time for them to suddenly add a refurbishment of Space Mountain. Facilities is also in charge of changing light bulbs (when I worked there, we literally were not allowed to change a light bulb on a popcorn wagon if one burned out, we had to wait for a facilities CM to come and change the bulb) so I wouldn't count on any of those being replaced either.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Sock Puppet

Until Space Mountain is back up and running at DL, I can finally say this about one of the most popular and permanent rides at Disneyland:

R.I.P. Disneyland Space Mountain

1977-2013

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by BTM85 View Post
    Clearly I have NOT been to WDW, ever.

• Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by boatsofdl View Post
    Until Space Mountain is back up and running at DL, I can finally say this about one of the most popular and permanent rides at Disneyland:

1977-2013
    Shouldn't one wait until the surgeon is done with the operation before people start calling the patient dead?
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

As somebody who lives in Florida and fly's to California soley for Disneyland 4 times a year, I can say it may not be AS bad as people make it out to be, but not off by much. The figures on Pirates for example are like elderly men compared to Disneyland's. Going to both coasts parks in the same week when it's fresh in your mind and you'll be able to tell the subtle differences where maintenance would help in Florida. WDW is not awful by any means but they are clearly far behind DL.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by boatsofdl View Post

1977-2013
    Um, that's a bit of an exaggeration. Let's wait for an official announcement before jumping to conclusions.

• Galactic Member

How long does it take to put up a safety railing?
    Galactic Member

I understand why Disney would decide to suddenly shut down rides such as Rocket Rods when they went down in situations like this. However I would not be making funeral plans for Space Mountain just yet...

Space Mountain is one of the most popular and defining rides at Disneyland. If anything Disney is rushing around backstage as we speak trying to add the DOSH mandated safety equipment as fast as they can. We all hope they give Space a bit of TLC while they are at it. But is Space dead? No.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Instead of killing it they can add the gold back on to the dome...Retro Space Mountain at Yesterland
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

So how long before the suits just decide to tear the whole thing down and replace it with a movie based franchise attraction? Space Mountain not being themed to a current franchise is just so Un-current Disney....P.S. (Sarcasm)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123