Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Assisted loading and ride stoppages on Indy and Haunted Mansion.

OK, I do not know if there is a solution to this problem although it is a problem in my opinion. I do not remember this happening 10 years ago although I find it happens frequently these days. When loading a person into Indy or HM that requires extra time to get in and out (which seems like every few cars these days) this requires a ride stoppage which in turns stops all the guests cars or doombuggies on the attraction, this is very distracting and happens a lot!

Now of course people who need more time to get in and out of a car due to a physical or mental handicap should of course be accommodated although there must be a more creative or effective way of loading and unloading these guests without requiring a general ride stoppage.

I have had this happen on a number of different visits when the ride would stop before the rolling ball scene and we would be sitting there for a few minutes with nothing happening. Sometimes the ride stops in a dark portion of the ride and the engine just idles.

Re: Assisted loading and ride stoppages on Indy and Haunted Mansion.

I never had it happen to me on Indy, but it seems to be fairly common on the Haunted Mansion. It did seem to be happening on rides even more then it used to the last few times I was there. I really don't remember it happening all that much in the 80's and 90's, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

• /sigh

I've never had that on Indy. The only place they really pause you is at the end of the ride, before you get to the loading dock. But no biggie there.

On HM, however, I'm not sure how you would be able to accomidate this, since all the buggies are on one moving belt...(right?..omnimover?). Although even stopping on HM isn't too bad, especially since the voice over that the ride will continue is in character.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Banned User

I have been stopped twice on Indy before due to that reason. One time it was so bad we just sat there for 5-10 min in the dark with the engine reving before we moved and then we moved to the next section and stopped again. You could also see the car ahead of you.

Well that's just the way things are. Especially with enhanced safety measures, and a seemingly increasing amount of people who are disabled (obesity, the greying of America, increase in chronic illnesses etc.) that this will become more common.
    For Indy, it's possible that a transfer track ala the new Space Mountain would work fine- but for a continuous omnimover like the Haunted Mansion- that would be impossible without completly ripping the entire track and starting over from scratch.
    This happens constantly for HM, but honestly I think I've only been stuck on Indy like once. The ride is sooo rough that generally only able-bodied people get on it anyways.

When you stop on Indy, I was kind of freaked out the first time. I agree they do take a lot longer on Indy for some reason. It also happen twice in the same ride too. First before the ball and then right before exit in front of the AA of Indiana Jones. We could have walked, but do they stop the whole thing because the computer is timed?

However, I think when omnimovers on Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters stop, they take less time than on Haunted Mansion, could they install one of those cars (modified to look like a doombuggy of course), where you put the whole wheel chair (or so I think) on Haunted Mansion? It would speed the process up.

• Banned User

I'm pretty sure that they installed the Creep Mode on the Haunted Mansion last year or maybe in '04, but Creep Mode slows the Doombuggies down to a creeping pace. I know it's budget was approved after Cynthia left and it was installed. Prior to it, they had to stop the ride completely. They still completely stop ride if a person needs it, but they usually will put it onto creep mode. The ride did it a few times over Christams break when I was there and it suprisingly wasn't that noticable.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    I'm pretty sure that they installed the Creep Mode on the Haunted Mansion last year or maybe in '04, but Creep Mode slows the Doombuggies down to a creeping pace. I know it's budget was approved after Cynthia left and it was installed. Prior to it, they had to stop the ride completely. They still completely stop ride if a person needs it, but they usually will put it onto creep mode. The ride did it a few times over Christams break when I was there and it suprisingly wasn't that noticable.
    I could of swarn that the creep mode speed was the original speed of the attraction until they sped it up. I am not 100 percent sure on that but anyone correct me if I am wrong. But on Splash they definately sped up the speed of the water.

• Banned User

Probablly to add a bit of thrill? To Splash at least.

I haven't had Indy stop in the middle of the ride, but on HM, it seems to be happening more and more often. I don't mind though, just allows me to stay on the ride just a little while longer.

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Yes, the stoppages do suck. Yeah, it kinda affects the "show" negatively.

But you know what else can be inconvenient? Having impaired physical abilities. So have a little bit of heart and take one for the team on this.

Now I recognize the OP was not from an inconsiderate p.o.v., but I just thought I'd raise the "other side's" issue since no one else had.

But now Creep Mode (love that term - i can't wait to apply it in real life to odd people - like, "What's up with that guy stalking you, Becky? He's in full-on Creep Mode!") sounds like a creative way to deal with this.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by America Stings
    Yes, the stoppages do suck. Yeah, it kinda affects the "show" negatively.

But you know what else can be inconvenient? Having impaired physical abilities. So have a little bit of heart and take one for the team on this.

Now I recognize the OP was not from an inconsiderate p.o.v., but I just thought I'd raise the "other side's" issue since no one else had.

But now Creep Mode (love that term - i can't wait to apply it in real life to odd people - like, "What's up with that guy stalking you, Becky? He's in full-on Creep Mode!") sounds like a creative way to deal with this.
    Hmm.... I always looked at a stopage as an addition ot the "show". When They stop, I usually get to look around more and notice things I would not normally get to see. So I (in the minority) look forward to a stoppage.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

• Needs the smell of summer

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    I could of swarn that the creep mode speed was the original speed of the attraction until they sped it up. I am not 100 percent sure on that but anyone correct me if I am wrong. But on Splash they definately sped up the speed of the water.
    Yeah, they definately sped up Splash. I was just talking about that with a friend of mine the other day. I remember being able to look around more, and soak in the scenes more. I liked it better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    Probablly to add a bit of thrill? To Splash at least.
    I don't think they sped them up for excitement, I'm sure it was just to increase ride capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL
    Hmm.... I always looked at a stopage as an addition ot the "show". When They stop, I usually get to look around more and notice things I would not normally get to see. So I (in the minority) look forward to a stoppage.
    I have never had this happen on Indy either, but I agree with you on Mansion. I like it when it stops! Just makes the ride better for me!

Having a family member myself who is disabled I believe I can speak for him on this. I know he would absolutely not want his impairments to negatively affect all of the other peoples experience! Stopping every ones ride just so my brother could get on would make him very sad were he to learn this.

As stated in original post:
    ".....of course people who need more time to get in and out of a car due to a physical or mental handicap should of course be accommodated although there must be a more creative or effective way of loading and unloading these guests without requiring a general ride stoppage."

Emphasis on :There Must be a MORE creative or EFFECTIVE way of loading and unloading without requiring a general ride stoppage.

In this day and age as stated from a earlier poster there are more people requiring more and more assistance these days, it should absolutely be a design requirement to find a solution to effectively deal with guests requiring additional load assistance without negatively effecting all guests in all ride vehicles. If not on current rides at the very least on any new rides in development.

• Needs the smell of summer

^I absolutely agree, and for the most part, they do have more effective way's to load on Newer rides. They don't, however on Buzz, because it is an omnimover like the HM. They found an extremely useful way to do it on Space Mountain, and I think that they do this on the Matterhorn as well, but I could be mistaken.

It is a little tougher to find a solution for the omnimover type rides. The only solution that sounds feasable is the one that Pancakesaregood suggested, which is having a doombuggy that the whole wheelchair can be loaded onto. Even in this case, they would have to stop the ride, or at the very least put it into "creep mode", but for less time. But stopping on the Mansion isn't too bad, you just get to see more stuff, and on Astroblasters, you get the chance to rack up more points

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast