Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Looking For Feedback

Hello Llegoz. Good to have you here.

I don't see negativity here as often as I see comments on what could be improved. Granted, some people get nitpicky and fail to see the big picture but more often than not the recurring issues are legitimate concerns about a park we love and would like to see restored to looking and operating it's best while providing the premium experience that the guest pays for.

Here's some of my thoughts;

Tomorrowland; Most of that land needs a revamp. Innoventions is a good idea but just not well executed, and never really has been - time for a new show. The top floor above the Starcade has been unused real estate for more than a decade. The Peoplemover track sits and rots - every time I go to Disneyland I overhear guests and even kids who never knew what the PM or Rocket Rods was commenting on the track and how it looks broken. The Observatron sits broken where the Astro Orbitor should be. Captain EO was nice to have back for a short time but it can't stay forever. Fix what is broken and improve what is there!

I will agree that the merchandising seems to be more generic than it used to be, and that there seems to be a wavering focus on how it related to the theming from land to land. I wouldn't expect to find Jack Skellington in the Star Trader, but there he is, and I can find the same stuff in Le Bat en Rouge across the park. I've heard it said that APers like myself are traditionally not big into buying the merch because we're there more often, but if there were more unique and diverse offerings, who knows? I buy the occasional shirt if it's something I've never seen before.

I think Disney has been doing a good job with the California Adventure makeover, and only a few small spots in that park remain that could really use some improvement, namely over in Hollywood Land with consistency of quality and styling. But Buena Vista Street is very well done (though I don't agree with the recent window change-up of certain storefronts), and Cars Land is excellent. My wife and I can actually spend an entire day in DCA now.

Lastly, I would like to see a return to/more focus in the park overall on creating unique attractions and experiences that create adventures that are not based on movies, or only loosely based on movies (i.e. Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, etc. - you know, classic Disney magic) I don't mind a movie-based attraction if it's done well, but when i was a kid I was always impressed by how Disney would create these amazing, unique adventures that were like nothing else you'd ever seen, and nothing else you would ever see anywhere else. I'd imagine that these days, investing in a major attraction that doesn't have a tie-in to a motion picture would be more of a risk, but I also think that if an attraction or a ride is truly good enough to stand on it's own, then why shouldn't it be attempted?

I'm a huge fan of the parks, and I always have been. It's a challenge to keep the park relevant and viable for today's younger generations while still retaining classic Disney signatures and staples, but I believe it can be done if a direct connection to the fan base is carefully cultivated and maintained.

Here is my feedback, even though it will probably NEVER happen, but I might as well give it a shot...

Bring back Journey Thru Inner Space and People Mover and if you can't at least do something with the tracks, it really is a tease! That is all and I will be a very happy person

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    I will agree that the merchandising seems to be more generic than it used to be, and that there seems to be a wavering focus on how it related to the theming from land to land. I wouldn't expect to find Jack Skellington in the Star Trader, but there he is, and I can find the same stuff in Le Bat en Rouge across the park. I've heard it said that APers like myself are traditionally not big into buying the merch because we're there more often, but if there were more unique and diverse offerings, who knows? I buy the occasional shirt if it's something I've never seen before.

Lastly, I would like to see a return to/more focus in the park overall on creating unique attractions and experiences that create adventures that are not based on movies, or only loosely based on movies (i.e. Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, etc. - you know, classic Disney magic) I don't mind a movie-based attraction if it's done well, but when i was a kid I was always impressed by how Disney would create these amazing, unique adventures that were like nothing else you'd ever seen, and nothing else you would ever see anywhere else. I'd imagine that these days, investing in a major attraction that doesn't have a tie-in to a motion picture would be more of a risk, but I also think that if an attraction or a ride is truly good enough to stand on it's own, then why shouldn't it be attempted?

I'm a huge fan of the parks, and I always have been. It's a challenge to keep the park relevant and viable for today's younger generations while still retaining classic Disney signatures and staples, but I believe it can be done if a direct connection to the fan base is carefully cultivated and maintained.

I agree 100%. Very well put. Also, I think they need to shift their focus to long-term goals and planning, instead of "how much money will we make THIS QUARTER?! NOT ENOUGH!"

I love Disneyland. I love just about all of it. And one of the things I love best about Disneyland are the cast members. Every one of you are like ambassadors of happy times and good will. So if there is one thing I wish Disney would change about the park, its how they treat you guys.

1. Pay them just a little bit more.
    2. Don't haggle them over health benefits. They've earned them.
    3. Give them their Christmas party back!!
    4. Find some way to make it easier for them to park and get to work on time, without having to leave their house an hour early.

Thank you very much for all that you do good cast member!

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

The elephant in the room is definitely the AP issue. I'm an AP holder who would like to see the entire program eliminated. That could reduce day and parkhopper prices, control crowds, bring in more out-of-towners.

Aside from that, Disney Parks. Disneyland and California Adventure should be treated as two unique and special places, not just two locations of many in the chain.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Only one thing needs to be changed imo
    Everyone here knows what I think it is. You will, too, soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo. Adding to the list:

* An out-of-control AP program.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    The elephant in the room is definitely the AP issue. I'm an AP holder who would like to see the entire program eliminated. That could reduce day and parkhopper prices, control crowds, bring in more out-of-towners.
    Bingo.
    Last edited by sediment; 04-30-2013 at 03:27 PM.

• Ewok

Line jumping is my biggest issue by far. Last time I was at the parks I had some issues with my toes making it hard for me to walk around little less stand in line and when I was moving too slow people were pushy and shoving past me completely seperating me from my group. Maybe putting civilian clothes CM's in line to control this would be one solution. They could keep close to the line jumpers and when the line jumpers got to the front of the line pull them out and tell them they have to wait until the people they were orginally behind went on the ride or make them go stand through the line again.

My other issue is strollers. Most people with strollers (not everyone thankfully but there are quite a few) who believe that they rule the road and apparently like to use my flip flopped toes as road. Maybe having a stroller only path on the far side or even right down the middle of the walkway that way people going both directions can keep their toes intact and the stroller road ragers can rage on each other for a change.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cast Members aren't the problem, there's little a CM can do to improve Disneyland other than going to work with a smile and continuing to give your best every day.

The problem? Management that hides in offices out back who lose touch with the day to day goings on in the parks. Creative decisions made that help promote a movie but do nothing to improve the parks: Iron Man overlay for the pathetic Innoventions, plastic Tarzan figures crowding out the Treehouse in Adventureland, deciding to keep thier investment in Superstar Limo by throwing in a Monsters Inc overlay - without really developing the park with a real vision or theme. Proposing to throw good money after bad by redeveloping the Hollywood Backlot into Monstropolis.

When will they see that they're ruining a good thing?

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Llegoz View Post
    So I would like to get feedback on what you kats think could be fixed in order to help improve the resort and restore some of the magic that people feel is fading away.
    Don't get hung up on all of the "bring back X ride" or "things were better back in the day" kind of criticisms. It's all very subjective and not quantifiable. I think a lot of folks complain about things they just aren't used to and that's just inevitable given enough time. But for every person who complains here, there around about 1000 times more actually in the park having fun that very day. The magic isn't fading and more and more people are going to Disneyland, buying food and T-Shirts, and sincerely enjoying themselves now than at any other time in history.

The folks here get lost a lot on how the park is different and how that effects them personally - without looking at the big picture: What the general public thinks as a whole. The two top complaints Disney has ever received at their parks has always been that the place is too expensive and that the lines are too long, and Disney has done a lot to combat both problems. People complained about how terrible the food was too, and Disney jumped all over that, offering new healthier selections (and to my own personal bias, I hate the new healthier options, but I realize they are popular with folks).

And there are non biased, real quantifiable problems too that Disney can work on. I think parking is a big problem for them that they really need to work on. I also think they need to work on overcrowded and under capacity facilities. Waiting 40 minutes for a Dole Whip is crazy: there are more folks waiting for Soft Serve than waiting for the Tiki Show. They need to fix those kind of issues. I think the MyMagic+ will go a long way in helping people avoid lines and crowding and make the place even more enjoyable.

Personally I think they should eliminate the annual passes as that would alleviate a lot of overcrowding, but then again at the same time that kind of decision would certainly deminish the magic for several thousands of people - so your mileage may vary.

• Evil is Sexy

*huddles over her Premium AP* My precccioussss...
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Banned User

I'd like to see myself as Frodo, but I'm more like Sam the fat one.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Cast Members aren't the problem, there's little a CM can do to improve Disneyland other than going to work with a smile and continuing to give your best every day.

The problem? Management that hides in offices out back who lose touch with the day to day goings on in the parks. Creative decisions made that help promote a movie but do nothing to improve the parks: Iron Man overlay for the pathetic Innoventions, plastic Tarzan figures crowding out the Treehouse in Adventureland, deciding to keep thier investment in Superstar Limo by throwing in a Monsters Inc overlay - without really developing the park with a real vision or theme. Proposing to throw good money after bad by redeveloping the Hollywood Backlot into Monstropolis.

When will they see that they're ruining a good thing?
    Well said, and completely true.

TDC will not see how much damage they're doing to DL until they've alienated the tourists (their bread-and-butter) to the point that they aren't likely to return. Ever.

It'll be too late by then, but present management won't care one iota; they'll be rolling in so much cash........

It's really sad how DL has been turned from a once-great place for families to enjoy themselves into nothing more than a cash cow to feed ever-increasing corporate greed.

• the rockawho?

what is specifically wrong with the AP program?

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    Elaborate, please.

If the AP program were eliminated, Disney would have a riot on their hands, especially from the locals.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    Elaborate, please.

If the AP program were eliminated, Disney would have a riot on their hands, especially from the locals.
    You mean, like tomorrow? Then yes, there would be a riot. Disney would be reneging on their contract.
    So, the process for eliminating the AP Program would be:
    1. Stop selling them.
    2. Allow all current AP holders one more renewal.

Then, it's gone two years after it's announced. Easy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast