Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Looking For Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Sitting at a desk over in TDA is easy.
    Sure it is.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    But the difference between DLR and most other theme parks is that other parks get the vast majority of their revenue from local day guests. DLR is able to draw vacationers who are willing to pay high prices for admission, all meals and snacks, and hotel for several nights. That is, until the park is so overcrowded with APers that it's no longer worth it.

I live right in the center of CA. I've never been to any other theme park in Southern California, and I know that people don't visit theme parks up here as hotel guests for several days/nights in a row.

They have reached a point in the AP program where they need to make a decision. Do they want to lose the tourist dollars to keep the APs?
    Again, DLR is not the only park that attracts overnight tourists and has an AP program! Sure in California, more parks are local than anything, but worldwide there are a multitude of parks that bring people from all over the world and yes all the other Disney theme parks as well of course and they all have APs!

All I'm saying is this part of the theme park industry and the idea that Disney will suddenly stop a program they highly rely on like every theme park out there is unrealistic at this point, especially when they are only ramping up the program.

Now that said no one is suggesting they cant make changes! Sure they can. But I dont think there will ever be a day there will never be an AP program of some kind. It will always be there.

• Banned User

Theme parks didn't exist before AP Programs were created.
    We're not talking the 1950s anymore, we are talking about today! When the airline industry started, there werent any frequent flyer programs. When cars were invented and started to be sold to the public, they didn't have a lease program. When the hotel industry started, there were no points system program and so on. Today they all have special these special programs/deal in the their industry because they are all fighting for a way to keep bringing their customers back as much as possible just like theme parks today. None of those programs started with their industries either, but good luck ever trying to get rid of them now. AP programs are no difference.

DCA would have been fixed a lot sooner if its attendance numbers were not artificially inflated by the AP Program, and its budget not combined with the rest of the resort. (Budget was combined because the revenue of the AP Program is difficult to allocate.) So, Pressler would have been fired sooner, Eisner would have been fired sooner (the amortization of DCA construction would have been accelerated, leading to lower profits), and it would have been improved by 2005.
    (Just a guess. No one has any way of knowing what would have happened. Yes, I have to disclose this.)
    To be honest, I seriously doubt that. DCA struggled for years even with Apers. Most didnt bother and basically stayed in DL. I think it was just a matter of ego and trying desperately not admit to themselves the park was just an utter failure but didnt want to spend the high amount of money to fix it. I doubt Aps had anything to do with it.

And I said this before actually its probably DCA WHY the AP program is the way it is now. They were SO desperate to plow people in this park they basically gave it away free the first decade of its operation. Now they are at least charging a more suitable price for it. Before few people wanted to pay for an all day ticket for the experience and so its APs and multiday tics they relied on.

The question NOW is do people think DCA is a standalone park? If people truly think that it is then maybe in time the program will be admended and there will at least be sepeate Aps for it, premium Aps, etc, etc. If people DONT think DCA can still stand on its own, trust me, then the system in place will stay as long as possible until one day it is.

Again, people always seem to think of mainly just DL, but as an executive, we arent talking about a park anymore, we are talking about a resort and everything they do now they have to factor it in by two. This isnt the 90s anymore.

All that said though, personnally I can see myself buying a one day ticket for DCA now, but I dont know if I'm in the minority or not.

• Suspended

I wouldn't say that DCA "struggled." It was propped on a couch and it watched TV while its parent (DL) brought home the bacon. Its problems were hidden from Board of Directors' view, because there was no way of showing its profitablility, because of the revenue that is generated by the AP Program. So, "DLR is hitting budget figures" is all that matters at that level.

What Disneyland/DCA does should not be predicated on what other amusement parks do.

An intermediate step I would take (if I were in charge) would be to eliminate the Premium and Deluxe. That frees up more park space during popular time periods. Then, increase the SoCal pass price to the current Deluxe, eliminate the SoCal restriction, keep the Premier discounts.

• Evil is Sexy

Eliminate the monthly payment plans for all the AP's first. Then see what that does.

I paid full price up front for my Premium passes. Premium is the only good option for me and my family because my husband is in the military and we never quite know when his free time will be. So no black outs were perfect.

They can raise the prices of it and we'll still pay it all in full, up front every year as long as we're stationed here. It's something that is worth budgeting for. I believe that the payment plan has caused a lot of the oversaturation of APers.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Wow, way to derail a thread, people. Let's get back to talking about the parks themselves.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Eliminate the monthly payment plans for all the AP's first. Then see what that does.

I paid full price up front for my Premium passes. Premium is the only good option for me and my family because my husband is in the military and we never quite know when his free time will be. So no black outs were perfect.

They can raise the prices of it and we'll still pay it all in full, up front every year as long as we're stationed here. It's something that is worth budgeting for. I believe that the payment plan has caused a lot of the oversaturation of APers.
    I agree.

We were long time Premium AP holders, and like you we paid for our APs up front. But once the financing started we saw the Parks become more and more crowded and our experience diminished. We allowed our passes to expire three years ago.

As to what could be done to improve the Parks, bring back good quality land specific merchandise, stop spoiling the themes by bringing in characters to promote movies, and stop making seasonal entertainment an extra priced event.
    Crazy Works For Me!

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post

Getting rid of the monthly payment APs would be a HUGE step in the right direction. HUGE step.

• Banned User

I wouldn't say that DCA "struggled." It was propped on a couch and it watched TV while its parent (DL) brought home the bacon. Its problems were hidden from Board of Directors' view, because there was no way of showing its profitablility, because of the revenue that is generated by the AP Program. So, "DLR is hitting budget figures" is all that matters at that level.
    Well obviously it struggled somewhat or they wouldnt have dumped $1.1 billion on it! I dont think they were really that deluded about it and you notice ALL the people who built DCA either quit or fired by the time 2.0 rolled around. Believe me SOMEONE noticed lol. I'm not saying they were all let go over DCA alone of course, my point is they werent hitting the figures as predicted on many levels and DCA was one of them. Opening other crappy theme parks worldwide didnt help either. Its only so much of discounting and AP sales they can do and still realize attendence is much lower than originally expected and they arent moving merchandise as expected. Even WORSE when you discount everything and you still cant get people to come more.

What Disneyland/DCA does should not be predicated on what other amusement parks do.
    DCA was BUILT on the idea of what other theme parks do!

Yeah it bit them in the butt lol, but just because people think APs are something only 'other parks do' doesnt mean much in the scheme of things, especially if it brings in money. And if it didnt it wouldnt be thre.

An intermediate step I would take (if I were in charge) would be to eliminate the Premium and Deluxe. That frees up more park space during popular time periods. Then, increase the SoCal pass price to the current Deluxe, eliminate the SoCal restriction, keep the Premier discounts.
    That sounds fine, but I dont see that ever happening. It would most likely be just the opposite if they ever got rid of the passes and keep the higher ones. The point is to get people to come as much as possible and if they can CHARGE them to come as much as possible like TDR does now (only has the premium pass and way more expensive than DLR...and still sells like hotcakes).

I know people hate hearing this, but they WANT people to come as much as possible and they will fill those parks to full capacity everyday of the week if it was possible. Just like Vegas gives a way free and discounted rooms to keep people coming end of the day it makes up for it. Thats any business mindset and Disney seems VERY much of that mindset. Maybe moreso!

And to make this clear, this is not some personal crusade with me. I've been going to DLR over 30 years now, I've owned 3 APs in that time. My first one wasnt until 2005 and I wasnt even living in the country. And as my sig shown, I crossed thousands of miles (and dollars) and more time zones I care to think about to do Disney vacations, including DLR since I lived out of America nearly 15 years. So its not a 'local' thing, just the opposite in fact. I've seen it at work at every Disney park for about nearly 2 decades now. This happens at all of them. TDR has the SAME issues as DLR and people go waaaay more on a regular basis than DLR, packed to the gills 9-10 months out of the year, but yet I dont hear the cries about the Apers and the evil locals as I do here and they had APs from their 2nd or 3rd year. ONLY DLR this comes up constantly and I guess I dont get it since minus WDW its pretty like this at the others, especially Japan...and Hong Kong may get up there in time as well as that park is finally becoming a real park. But I been on both sides of it so yes I understand all sides, for me this is just how its always been everywhere and I dont see it changing in my lifetime.

But sorry for derailing the thread as well. Wasnt my intent OP!
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 05-03-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    Wow, way to derail a thread, people. Let's get back to talking about the parks themselves.
    Agreed. Two pages of bitching about the AP programs is enough. Get a room!

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I've been going to DL since 1962. Seen a lot of changes. Some good. Some bad. But, I've never had a negative attitude about DL. I always look forward to my next visit.

There are some things I miss that have already been mentioned. I fondly remember the One of a Kind Shop in New Orleans Square that had some wonderful merchandise from all over the world. The unique stuff is gone, with the exception of the crystal shops on Main Street and NOS.

The current prices make it extremely difficult for families to go for the day.

My hubby has to use a mobility scooter in the Park or else he would never be able to go again. The cast members we have encountered have been wonderful and helpful in the 8 years since the accident. I would hope they would get acknowledged and encouraged by management.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234