Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Are parades and shows in that big of demand at Disneyland?

I worked for Disneyland for 3 years and I've been an annual passholder for 14 years so I'm way over the parades and shows at Disneyland (even Fantasmic, as good as it is). Over the past couple of years I've been getting more and more annoyed with how much stuff they have to close at the parks in order to put on a parade or show. Now, when I worked there, I was in Outdoor Vending, and often times I'd have to push a very heavy dolly full of stock from one end of the park to the other, and many times I'd get stuck in a parade or show, so I may be biased against them already, but honestly, how many people are that interested in seeing a parade or one of the shows when they go anyway? I know there are pretty large crowds for them but is that just because they are there, or are people actually that excited and would rather camp out for hours and hours to watch it rather than go on the rides? Personally I'd be fine if Disney just gave up on the parades altogether. Fantasmic is awesome and it's the best live show on earth, so I don't expect them to get rid of that, but at the same time I really enjoy those rare times where you can take the Mark Twain down the Rivers of America at night. I'd love it if they made a point to have at least one day a month (say a Sunday) where the park was still open after dark but they didn't show Fantasmic and kept the Mark Twain operating. Since that would probably appeal primarily to the hard-core Disneyland fans, maybe they could even make it a special event where they had one of the New Orleans bands onboard and sell Mint Julips or something. Same with World of Color, it would be nice if they had a night where it didn't operate and California Screamin was open at night.

So, do you think people would freak out if Disney drastically cut back and / or cancelled some of their parades and shows or would anyone even notice?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• i believe in faeries.

Re: Are parades and shows in that big of demand at Disneyland?

while i love the shows/parades, i do agree about riding california screamin' after dark. that was something special.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You come to the boards with an interesting perspective.

Are you thinking about the people who are on once-in-a-lifetime or once-every-so-often visitors? Or just Annual Passholders? The park isn't just for them, it shouldn't be catered to them, it should be catered to the high spending hotel staying out of town visitors.

That said, I've been an AP holder for many years (just not currently). And while I don't stop for the parades - I enjoy the shows once in a while, I recently caught "Aladdin" again and was reminded at just how good it is.

If anything APers and frequent visitors are not as determined to get on every ride, no matter the wait. Many are content to go on rides with short lines, hang out and enjoy a cup of coffee by the water, or watch a show when the parks are busy.

given that disney continues to do parades, the answer is probably an unequivocal yes. i mean think of the expense in putting on these parades. all those parade performers essentially do nothing but their 2 parades per day. then all of the logistics of putting it on. that's a massive personnel expense. they no doubt have done a ton of marketing surveys on what ppl really like, and parades and shows like the fireworks probably rank high. if it didn't, they would kill it off like they have killed many things that doesn't bring in the interest. it doesn't matter that many of us might not watch them. what matters is the many many people that do.

• Minion

I'm not a parent myself, but I think parades and shows would be unanimously popular among that demographic. It's a time when they can sit down with their kids, rest their feet, and know that their kid is being entertained.

• Shubisha

First off, I think so yes. in Florida people seem like they could care less if it's a good parade or if the characters drive by on a flat bed waving, but they want it.. and WDW has treated them that way :P. In California the demand is different but there seems to be genuine interest for a nicely themed "good show" parade.

Secondly, they're a tool to keep the crowds along the route for a while and ease off the lines from attractions. (The world of color paradise pier issues are unique and a little awkward but NORMALLY they're supposed to help crowds).

The problem is not the parades or the shows. The problem, as is so often the case when discussing Disney, is Disney not putting their foot down and implementing and enforcing common sense policy. In this instance, you have people setting up shop hours before shows start and forming blockades to foot traffic - blankets, strollers, backpacks, humans sitting on the ground - all barriers to the normal traffic flow of the parks. If they thought they could get away with it, some people would pitch a tent for Fantasmic. Disney needs to tell people that they can't sit on the ground, place items on the ground, stand in the middle of a walkway (or curb on Main Street) until 30 minutes before a show. And then actually keep them moving when they complain (this is the hard part - it's easier to just let them collectively cause a problem and not have to hear them complain).

I won't say I'll wait for hours for a show, but I do like them. Parades, shows, things that don't happen all the time. I love love love the street entertainment in DCA, I love Aladdin, and I'll stop for Soundsational. I'm not as big a fan of the Pixar parade, but that's because I'm not a huge fan of Pixar, rather than any dislike of parades.

Parades are fun and I like them, so long as they're good.

So yes, there is demand.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I love the parades and shows, but you do have an interesting point. I like the idea of riding mark twain and screaming at night and I would gladly give up a night of parades and shows to do that.

• Sock Puppet

Up until about a month ago I never quite got the hype about the shows, I always thought "SHORTER LINES!" But since I saw Fantasmic for the first time, I understand now why people come to the parks and wait for the shows. Infact, my friends now have a thing called "Fantasmic Fridays" where we go almost every friday, just to watch the show. And every Friday we have to get there two hours before the show, because there are still plenty of people that want to see it, so finding spots can be quite difficult. I personally think the shows are worth every last bit.

• Under that tree again!

Several thousand people watch these 20 minute long programs everyday. When it's busy the number multiplies as the number of runs increases.

Even little shows like Bugs Life and the coming Mickey and the Magical Map will be seen by more guests than a typical attraction.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Minion

You know, I'd also love to see one or two nights a week when Paradise Pier was just open at night without WoC. I miss walking around there.

In terms of the shows and parades, considering the crowds that line up for them - yes, I would say there's a demand. They're entertaining and they also give people a chance to sit and rest (and that doesn't apply to WoC, but to the parades, Aladdin, the Tiki Room, EO, Lincoln, etc.). After walking around in the parks all day long in the hot sun, sitting in an air-conditioned theater, resting, chilling out (literally) and watching a movie or show can be a lifesaver.

Disneyland is about entertainment, and there's more than one way to be entertained than by going on a ride.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The Parades and Shows are two of my favorite things at the Disneyland Resort. I did have an annual pass much of the late 90's and through about 2010.

If you don't care for them personnally, that's fine. However they do add to the variety of attractions that are available for all guests. Disneyland just wouldn't be the same without those types of entertainment.

It's very similar to what we hear between Halloween and Christmas, when some people talk about the Haunted Mansion - Some people love the Regular version of the Haunted Mansion that they dread the time that the Haunted Mansion Holiday takes away from the the availability of the Regular Haunted Mansion.

Other people like Haunted Mansion Holiday so much, that they come in droves to see that and wish Jack and Family could have their own year long attraction. But looking at it from an overall perspective, Disneyland is able to reach out to and appeal to more people with variety

Disneyland is giving a better show by giving a variety of high quality entertaiment.

Disneyland Resort has had several great shows and parades over the years, As you point out Fantasmic MSEP was great too, there are rave reviews of the Lion King Parade and the Mulan Parade. The 50th Anniversary Parade was Fantastic too, as well as the 50th Fireworks show. You also point out Aladdin as a great show. Don't forget the Hunchback Show that was in Festival Arena, Animazement,, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, in the Fantasyland Theater, or BLAST in the Hyperion Theater. Oh, and the original Princess and the Frog Show on the Mark Twain was one of the best shows ever in DL!

Disneyland without shows and parades? It just wouldn't be Disneyland.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I really think they should leave Screamin' running... the ride without lights would be fun. haha.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    If they thought they could get away with it, some people would pitch a tent for Fantasmic. .
    LMBO! In every sense of the word!

It's true. And I hate the parades. I'm glad they are there for those that want them, but it seems too numerous on some days. I find myself having to plan which land I want to be stuck in based on the show/parade schedule. So even tho I don't want to see them, I still have to plan around them!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast