Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: What the heck is this doing in Disneyland?

I've walked around on the roof of the Pirates show buildings several times over the years, at night and during daylight, and I can't think of any lighting fixtures that are up there that need hiding. (The real fun is up in the attic of those buildings though; the roofs are pretty boring, but lead you to the attic entries.)

Not to mention why you would put lighting fixtures on the roof of the building far away from the edge, to begin with. What would you be "lighting" exactly with fixtures in the middle of that huge warehouse roof?

The sails are there just because they look cool when glimpsed from the alleys of New Orleans Square. New Orleans is a port city, after all.

• Artistic integrity

I originally thought the sails were there to hide light rigs. Well .. I guess one way to confirm it - Where the sails there - pre Fantasmic years?
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

I first noticed it a few years ago when I was looking at something else in NOS on Google Maps. I saw it and thought, "What the heck is that... it looks like the sail riggings of a ship!" Next time I was at Dland, it didn't take me long to spot it once I knew where it was. However, it can only be seen at a handful of angles at ground level. Tarzan's Treehouse has a few nice views of it as well.

I really like it. It's one of those little Disney details that makes NOS special, and from certain areas on the ground it give the illusion that there's a tall ship docked right around the corner from where you're standing.

• Selfie Expert

I've never seen it before!! Thanks for posting about it!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I originally thought the sails were there to hide light rigs. Well .. I guess one way to confirm it - Where the sails there - pre Fantasmic years?
    They sit too far back to really be effective at hiding any lighting elements, they are meant to be seen from a distance, as if there are ships on the other side of the buildings... as for fantasmic lighting... why hide these when some of the largest lighting structures in Disneyland rise up right at water's edge in front of Mickey and everybody?

My point is I'm pretty sure the sails are there only for theme.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    The sails are there just because they look cool when glimpsed from the alleys of New Orleans Square. New Orleans is a port city, after all.

As far as I'm concerned, that's the best reason for them to be there.

I remember the first time I saw them I asked a cast member how I could get to the ship. So I guess you could say the illusion worked well for me.

Love this view. It took me by surprise when I saw it for the first time, too! Great imagineering

• Former Churro Jockey

I had forgotten about this, but I'm fairly certain it was added when they refreshed New Orleans Square in the late 90's. It was the same time that they added (or maybe brought back) the audio of the different conversations of the "Townspeople" that you can hear on the 2nd floor of Royal St, and they added a lot more decor to the upper floors to make them look more real and lived in. I think that was also about the time they were contemplating doing a Mardi Gras celebration every day, and the whole refreshing New Orleans Square was supposed to be part of that. I want to say that the ship is strictly for decor. They were trying to make it completely authentic like what someone living in New Orleans would see in the skyline. They also gave all of the cm's these wallet-sized cards of the authentic pronunciation of words (i.e. New Orleans = N'awlins) and we were all supposed to talk with that kind of an accent, but that only lasted about two weeks or so.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I was back at Disneyland this week, so I spent about ten minutes walking around New Orleans Square looking for vantage points where I could see those ship sails.

I ended up speaking to the Cast Member working the stand where visitors can get a portrait of themselves done while they wait. The Cast Member told me that if you go up on the roof of New Orleans Square, the ship sails are just simple masts sticking out of the roofs with the sails attached. He said that there were no light structures anywhere near the sails, so he doubted that they were built to hide light structures for Fantasmic or another light show. He thought that they had been there for at least 10 or 15 years.

He also told me that if you look at the original designs and artwork for New Orleans Square back from the 1960s, the artwork showed several different ships above the roofs of New Orleans Square, as if it were an actual port with ships in different locations of the city.

Anyway, besides the view from the Frontierland/New Orleans Square train station platform, I could only find another view of the sails from the streets from the bridge right in front of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. This is the long view:
    Name:  NOS sails June 2013.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  87.4 KB

and the close-up:

Name:  NOS sails 2 June 2013.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  82.4 KB

I didn't think to get onto the Mark Twain or Columbia, or go up on Tarzan's Treehouse to try to get a different view. (I hadn't looked at this thread for several weeks.)

I still think it's fun that after visiting Disneyland dozens of times, I can still discover new things that have been there for years but I never noticed before.

• Minion

It's nice to view the mast and sails. Kind of out of place but that's the beauty.

• Capt without a ship...

I just only recently saw these myself from the area just before the train station at NO.

I had been looking for it and asked a CM who did portraits, but he had no idea what I was talking about, lol.

When I found it, I pointed it out to our daughter and had her take some photos, then I went back and let the CM know so if anyone else asked him, he could pass the word along, lol.

• Co-Host of USWP

That is really amazing! I had no idea in all the times I've been there. Definitely going to be noticing this next time.

• Minion

So where's the pirate flag...

I just read about this last week on Fresh Baked Disney - part of their Disneyland Secrets series:
    Disneyland Secret #6 | Hidden Ship in New Orleans Square
    Disneyland AP & go as often as I can! DL Paris 2002 WDW 2007 & 2013 Tokyo DL & Sea 2009 DCL 2014
    To Do: Hong Kong DL & Shanghai Disney: see you in 2016!
    GROUNDHOG DAY: WDW and DLR in the same day: 2/2/13
    My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

• Hello Dolly.

I always loved it being there. It's one of the many little gems inside Disneyland that's often overlooked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast