Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66
  1. #31

    • No Disassemble!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    791

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    If I recall didn't MiceAge mention not too long ago that the Tron themed Peoplemover replacement was in consideration for a green light? While I love the idea of bringing an attraction back to the Peoplemover track I can't help but think that the lesson has not been learned that shoehorning theme after theme into one land totally degenerates the region as a whole.

    A great way to fix this mess is to take one more fantasy-based attraction (Iron Man) that can provide a blanket theme for the whole region (50's-60's era Worlds Fair). At least this way even if there are a few out of theme attractions (Space Mtn, Star Tours, Tron, Buzz) you can overcome that chaos by building a blockbuster Iron Man attraction(s) for the guests to hypnotically gravitate to. Just like how RSR makes guests forget that Radiator Springs really doesn't have much to do with California.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

  2. #32

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,392

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Oh look, another argument about Marvel being in Disneyland.

    The basic fact is the Marvel Cinematic Universe is fictional. Despite the fact that the movies might be set in the present day it doesn't mean that it realistically compares to our world. It is futuristic enough to fit in Tomorrowland for the time being. Others have also pointed out the fact that Autopia is not futuristic, Finding Nemo Subs are not futuristic, Star Tours is not really futuristic, and Buzz Lightyear certainly isn't futuristic.

    What difference does it make at this point?
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.













  3. #33

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    201

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Oh look, another argument about Marvel being in Disneyland.

    The basic fact is the Marvel Cinematic Universe is fictional. Despite the fact that the movies might be set in the present day it doesn't mean that it realistically compares to our world. It is futuristic enough to fit in Tomorrowland for the time being. Others have also pointed out the fact that Autopia is not futuristic, Finding Nemo Subs are not futuristic, Star Tours is not really futuristic, and Buzz Lightyear certainly isn't futuristic.

    What difference does it make at this point?
    Exactly, Tomorrowland has essentially evolved into a sci-fi land anyhow. Marvel totally fits that theme and does it a lot better than Autopia or Subs.

  4. #34

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,606

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    I don't want anything Marvel in the park, not because I don't think it would fit with the Tomorrowland theme, but because I feel that the movies are too action-y, if that makes any sense.
    They rely too much on destruction and typical action battle sequences which I don't think fits into my view of what Disneyland represents.
    Those action and battle sequences may someday inspire Disney to put in a ride where a boat is firing cannons at a fort, and maybe torturing someone by dunking them in a well until they reveal the location of treasure. Or worse, Disney just may decide to plunder and burn the town where it takes place. I could see why we wouldn’t want something as “actiony” as Iron Man.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    …Star Tours is not really futuristic…
    ???????????????
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  5. #35

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Every CircleVision film played in Tomorrowland from 1955 to 1997 dealt with what America looked like in the present day. It had nothing to do with the future. The post-show of the film from 1955 to the 60's was for modern day Studebakers made by American Motors. The post-show of the film from the 1960's to the 70's was for telephone service provided by the Bell System. Then it just became a gift shop with a pre-show advertisement for Delta Airlines or PSA or whatever airline wanted to sponsor the show.

    What made it work was that the 360 degree screen was reasonably "futuristic", or at least novel in its presentation.

    Most of this blatant corporate sponsorship of a contemporary movie happened while Walt was alive and running the joint. It never ceases to amaze me how revisionist Disney fans can be when remembering their history. Starbucks on Main Street being vilified, while Sunkist Citrus or Hallmark Cards or Timex Watches or Kodak Film being acceptable, as another example.

    Don't forget to sign up for a new Princess Phone extension on your home service with the Bell System hostess on your way out, folks!

  6. #36

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Thank you! This is why I dont come here like I use to. This odd romanticized history of how Walt Disney didnt promote his products or have just as many sponsors back in the day is odd. Its pretty clear they accomodated when they could get away with it. We just didnt have the internet and a million Disney fans weighing in with every tiny decision the company did.

    And the double standards why its ok to do one thing in the past but oddly not ok to do it today gets old.

    The park isnt doing anything all that differenly it wasnt during litterally since day one of opening.

  7. #37

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Exactly, Tomorrowland has essentially evolved into a sci-fi land anyhow. Marvel totally fits that theme and does it a lot better than Autopia or Subs.
    TL has been sci fi land since the 80s once Captain EO and Star Tours opened and its only gotten bigger in time. I certainly agree with most TL is really a mess thematically these days but Iron Man will actually probably be the closet fit to modern day TL than anything that has come in there the last two decades.

  8. #38

    • " Planet of Puddingheads"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,997

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Every CircleVision film played in Tomorrowland from 1955 to 1997 dealt with what America looked like in the present day. It had nothing to do with the future. The post-show of the film from 1955 to the 60's was for modern day Studebakers made by American Motors. The post-show of the film from the 1960's to the 70's was for telephone service provided by the Bell System. Then it just became a gift shop with a pre-show advertisement for Delta Airlines or PSA or whatever airline wanted to sponsor the show.

    What made it work was that the 360 degree screen was reasonably "futuristic", or at least novel in its presentation.

    Most of this blatant corporate sponsorship of a contemporary movie happened while Walt was alive and running the joint. It never ceases to amaze me how revisionist Disney fans can be when remembering their history. Starbucks on Main Street being vilified, while Sunkist Citrus or Hallmark Cards or Timex Watches or Kodak Film being acceptable, as another example.

    Don't forget to sign up for a new Princess Phone extension on your home service with the Bell System hostess on your way out, folks!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Thank you! This is why I dont come here like I use to. This odd romanticized history of how Walt Disney didnt promote his products or have just as many sponsors back in the day is odd. Its pretty clear they accomodated when they could get away with it. We just didnt have the internet and a million Disney fans weighing in with every tiny decision the company did.

    And the double standards why its ok to do one thing in the past but oddly not ok to do it today gets old.

    The park isnt doing anything all that differenly it wasnt during litterally since day one of opening.
    Where in any of the posts in this thread does corporate sponsorship come up? Nobody is talking about sponsorships.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  9. #39

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    201

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    TL has been sci fi land since the 80s once Captain EO and Star Tours opened and its only gotten bigger in time. I certainly agree with most TL is really a mess thematically these days but Iron Man will actually probably be the closet fit to modern day TL than anything that has come in there the last two decades.
    Exactly, I actually wish that they'd get rid of Autopia and even the Subs and build either a Star Wars sub-land there, or a Marvel area. That is a huge plot of land and we need something there that actually fits the theme of Tomorrowland.

  10. #40

    • Special Agent
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Only if it was a common everyday occurrence for the general public to do sightseeing underwater on a nuclear powered sub.
    Well if that's the only classification to making something futuristic, than a lot of things should be considered futuristic.

    I don't fly to work in a hot air balloon either, so I guess that belongs in Tomorrowland just as well as the subs do.

  11. #41

    • film975
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    I think it's smart on Disney's part that they expanded what Tomorrowland represents. It began representing what a real future might be like. But as Walt himself once said that: "Tomorrow is a heck of thing to keep up with it." I think it works better including things of science fantasy as well as science fact so you could include things like Captain EO and Star Tours.

    But I disagree with those who think Buzz Lightyear doesn't belong in Tomorrowland. They seem to forget that the toy is supposed merchandise from an animated show that definitely is futuristic. I mean seriously... what can be more futuristic than this?



    If you ever seen the show, Buzz's house looks like Monsato's House of the Future.

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Exactly, I actually wish that they'd get rid of Autopia and even the Subs and build either a Star Wars sub-land there, or a Marvel area. That is a huge plot of land and we need something there that actually fits the theme of Tomorrowland.
    I think a Star Wars and/or Marvel lands at Disneyland is a very bad idea. It makes more sense to have the Star Wars land at Disney Hollywood Studios in Florida. I would rather have that there than a clone of Cars Land there.

  12. #42

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,606

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    It makes more sense to have the Star Wars land at Disney Hollywood Studios in Florida.
    It wouldn't make sense to have it there, either.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  13. #43

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    201

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I think it's smart on Disney's part that they expanded what Tomorrowland represents. It began representing what a real future might be like. But as Walt himself once said that: "Tomorrow is a heck of thing to keep up with it." I think it works better including things of science fantasy as well as science fact so you could include things like Captain EO and Star Tours.

    But I disagree with those who think Buzz Lightyear doesn't belong in Tomorrowland. They seem to forget that the toy is supposed merchandise from an animated show that definitely is futuristic. I mean seriously... what can be more futuristic than this?



    If you ever seen the show, Buzz's house looks like Monsato's House of the Future.



    I think a Star Wars and/or Marvel lands at Disneyland is a very bad idea. It makes more sense to have the Star Wars land at Disney Hollywood Studios in Florida. I would rather have that there than a clone of Cars Land there.
    Why would Star Wars or Marvel be a bad idea in Tomorrowland? you said yourself that its a GOOD thing that Tomorrowland expands into a more sci-fi theme, doesnt Star Wars and Marvel fit well into that sci fi theme?

  14. #44

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,606

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Well if that's the only classification to making something futuristic, than a lot of things should be considered futuristic.

    I don't fly to work in a hot air balloon either, so I guess that belongs in Tomorrowland just as well as the subs do.
    Not exactly the same thing
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  15. #45

    • Artistic integrity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    3,503

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Ghosts and pirates are very accurate in New Orleans history and folklore. These two attractions have the strongest and most relevant theme in any Disney park.
    What's great about those ghosts ... they aren't holding up references to promote some franchise! And for a time (pre Sparrow) it was nice when the pirates didn't, either!

    And while others seem to know with certainty that Iron Man fits into Tomorrowland .... I'm a lot more careful to make that leap.

    For I know NOTHING of what an Iron Man attraction would consist of. All any of us have heard ... is a "Stark Expo" attraction may take place of Innoventions. Other than that, we know zip! We know no story board. No artwork. No clue to it's presentation. It's level of execution. What the "protagonist" element is. If there is one. The art direction. Is it ride? A walk-through? What??

    And one of my biggest concerns ... How much carefully placed "imagery" there will be that is a direct promotion of Marvel itself ... and the Iron Man itself?

    I see a few people's point with Tony Stark's "ARC reactor" ... and the flying suit itself.

    Flying suits .. or jetpacks on our backs have shown up in different entertainment usages throughout the 20th Century. Buck Rogers short-films in the 1930s. Disneyland had a guy strapped to a jetpack who made a flight or two in 1965. And there was the Rocketeer in the 90s film - though set to the 1930s.

    If a "Tony Stark" EXPO in Tomorrowland consisted of "flying suits" that were of a different, new and original design (than Stark's very recognizable red one) that are unique to Disneyland's attraction ..... and the attraction work more on the theme of his "ARC Reactor" ... then I could see this attraction be more palatable to the land of the future. (But I'm making a guess there. Like all of us are!)

    Very subtly referencing Iron Man .. and the entire "Marvel" franchise. Almost to the point of being invisible. NOT BLATANT commercializing opportunities to promote franchises!

    But lets be honest with ourselves:

    We know that CEO Robert Iger would rather see a theme park attraction with a design that WILL seriously load all sorts of "imagery" to make it certain with no doubt ... that you are in an attraction that is ALL ABOUT THE IRON MAN. It's all about "familiarity". And tipping point could very well go on promoting the "Iron Man/Marvel" franchise than promoting Tomorrowland.

    So ... can we all stop saying Iron Man fits into Tomorrowland?

    Because .. fact is - Until we see SOMETHING..... Some concepts..... some Artwork. How much the attraction promotes Tomorrowland .. and how much of it promotes Iron Man .... many of you may end up saying to yourselves ..... "What was I thinking."

    I'm all for attractions that promote Tomorowland. (Isn't that what it's all suppose to be about, anyway!!???) With subtle undertones .. IF it has to be a "franchise" idea.

    No crass commercializing efforts to promote franchises/brands - Thank You
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man movies linked?
    By Barbossa in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 05:55 AM
  2. Is Tomorrowland Set In the Future?
    By animagusurreal in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 02:40 AM
  3. Hong Kong Disneyland Gets Set to Drive to the Future
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 10:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •