Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 66
  1. #46

    • Artistic integrity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    3,519

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    I have to add .... since the "Jack Sparrow" storyline was added to PotC (From a known recent film franchise) ... I feel (now 6 years since they added him) ..... it dates the attraction.

    Where it felt more "classic" before ... they had to add a "trendy" element .. connecting it to a recent modern film.

    From Sparrow, to Nemo, to Buzz, and sith lords and action heroes ..... they don't seem to help Disneyland's "classic" status .... they just seem to help what the current trend is. While making big leaps to thinking they are going to be classic for the longhaul.

    Seems ... more modern attempts to creating "franchise attractions" ... are just means to date themselves. Then over here ... we have attractions that have absolutely no connection to a franchise .. and have classic status.

    Seems to me, the co. thinks all attractions have to be franchise-connected to be classics for the longhaul. When ... it appears to me .. by not connecting them to some current-day "Hot" film ... gives an attraction a better chance to be more liked .. well into the future .. by future generations .. they may find those past films - dated. And thus, less appealing.

    And I could I see them over doing it with all sorts of "Iron Man" references ... that only pull Tomorrowland further into the abyss of Miscellanous Modern Day - Dated Attractions Land.

    As time goes on ... all this chatter that Original attractions are risky ... and making attractions tied to some franchise makes them more classic and somehow "better" for the longhaul. ..... Seems they got it backwards! It's the other way around. Franchise attractions are the risk. Look at the Matterhorn, DLRR, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain .. etc .. been around for decades .. no connection to any known franchise .. and by not dating them .. or placing them to any pre-existing franchise .... makes them the longstanding classics. Future generations can interpret them anyway they want ... than being hamstrung to some dated franchise. THOSE are the less risky ideas.


    Seems by creating attractions not connected to a current film .. other known as an "Original" idea ... are the types of attractions that have the better chance of becoming classics.

    Ideas based on rich BACK stories .. rich environments .... perhaps a man with a reactor implanted into his chest .. with an idea how to transform the future of mankind .. with flying suits ... can work. And that little itty fact .... that it's Iron Man .... barely noticed.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 05-03-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

  2. #47

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Where in any of the posts in this thread does corporate sponsorship come up? Nobody is talking about sponsorships.
    No its just the general idea that nothing outside of Disney doesnt come in the park like Marvel (althouigh its Disney now anyway so it just makes sense). And Disney is going to promote it just like any company would!

  3. #48

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    ...And Disney is going to promote it just like any company would!
    Exactly. Today's product-promoting Disney Corp is indeed no different than any other marketing company. Year by year, they're training their customer base to forget about seeing a return to the innovation and originality that made Disneyland world-famous. To not expect anything different from today's Disney than one would get from any other marketing company.

    Well, except for their higher prices.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Seems ... more modern attempts to creating "franchise attractions" ... are just means to date themselves. Then over here ... we have attractions that have absolutely no connection to a franchise .. and have classic status.
    True. Unfortunately, Disney Corp is no longer in the business of making classic, original theme park attractions.

    They're in the business of using the classic Disney name to promote trendy brands for short-term profits, and to do so as efficiently and inexpensively as possible.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-03-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  4. #49

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,529

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    After seeing Iron Man 3 yesterday, I am wondering about the future of Iron Man in the cinematic world and how it could tie into a potential Stark Expo in Disneyland. In order to make it "the world of tomorrow" they will have to date the expo back a couple of movies.

    That's how I see it.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.













  5. #50

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,773

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Well if that's the only classification to making something futuristic, than a lot of things should be considered futuristic.

    I don't fly to work in a hot air balloon either, so I guess that belongs in Tomorrowland just as well as the subs do.
    No because the sky has been fully explored, the sea has not because there are technology limitations. To this day there are sightings of weird creatures in the water that people had no idea existed.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 05-04-2013 at 10:04 AM.

  6. #51

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Orange County, CA; USA
    Posts
    313

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    No because the sky has been fully explored, the sea has not because there are technology limitations. To this day there are sightings of weird creatures in the water that people had no idea existed.
    Yep. I recall a prominent scientist saying that we know more about the surface of the moon than we do the bottom of the ocean. And since the Earth is 2/3rds covered in water, this means the earth is largely unexplored!

  7. #52

    • The Pumpkin King
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,766

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Buzz Lightyear set in the present and does not really belong in tomorrowland.

    Star Wars set in the past and does not really belong in Tomorrowland.
    Star Wars may have been set in the past, but its technology for us is futuristic.

    So, it fits, very much so imo. As its technology is what a type 3 civilization would have.

  8. #53

    • Hello Dolly.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,022

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Just because it isn't in the future doesn't mean it's not a futuristic attraction. I'm perfectly okay with Iron Man being in TL, he actually fits it perfectly while adding something new.

    Yeah it's called Tomorrowland, but the magic contained each land doesn't have a set list of what themes can go into the land. Iron man clearly represents the future.

    If we specifically followed a theme land like it's a real place instead of a place of magic it wouldn't be as fun. We'd just have a ride about going through an underground New Orleans sewer instead of randomly having pirates entertain us.

  9. #54

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,529

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    I am curious...

    Seeing that the inclusion of Marvel at some point is inevitable, how many of you would rather have a different member of The Avengers be the main focus for Tomorrowland? Imagine attractions based off Captain America or Thor or The Hulk. They don't really strike the same nerve for me, personally.
    Out of all the characters I still think Iron Man is the best bet due to the character of Tony Stark. He is tech savvy, charismatic, and has a lot of technology that could realistically exist in our own future. Out of the choices we have he is the best fit for Tomorrowland.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.













  10. #55

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I am curious...

    Seeing that the inclusion of Marvel at some point is inevitable, how many of you would rather have a different member of The Avengers be the main focus for Tomorrowland? Imagine attractions based off Captain America or Thor or The Hulk. They don't really strike the same nerve for me, personally.
    Out of all the characters I still think Iron Man is the best bet due to the character of Tony Stark. He is tech savvy, charismatic, and has a lot of technology that could realistically exist in our own future. Out of the choices we have he is the best fit for Tomorrowland.
    If Marvel goes in Tomorrowland, and that Marvel character isn't Iron Man, then I wouldn't be as pro-Marvel as I am now. Iron Man is the only character that fits, IMO. He fits perfectly. The others...not so much.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  11. #56

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,529

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    If Marvel goes in Tomorrowland, and that Marvel character isn't Iron Man, then I wouldn't be as pro-Marvel as I am now. Iron Man is the only character that fits, IMO. He fits perfectly. The others...not so much.
    Exactly. The only other character I could see as a possibility is Thor simply because of the realm and galaxy travel, but he isn't as popular of a character. Plus it would resemble Star Tours too much.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.













  12. #57

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Exactly. The only other character I could see as a possibility is Thor simply because of the realm and galaxy travel, but he isn't as popular of a character. Plus it would resemble Star Tours too much.
    You make a good point, Thor is second to mostly fit the theme of Tomorrowland. But, like you said, the Thor's popularity doesn't really compares to Iron Man. I think even Captain America may be slightly more popular than Thor.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  13. #58

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    869

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    From Sparrow, to Nemo, to Buzz, and sith lords and action heroes ..... they don't seem to help Disneyland's "classic" status
    A lot of Walt's Disneyland was not "classic" as you say. Rockets, space, nuclear power, technology, tikis, hawaii, polynesia, the old west, cowboys, lone ranger, FL dark ride movies, Swiss family treehouse were all relevant or "trendy" in their day. I believe much of the nostalgia and classic-ness attached to DL came about after Walt passed. Walt had no problem bulldozing one attraction for something else. Heck, I think Carousel of Progress was the only one given untouchable status by the man himself.

    The creator of DL knew that his park had to keep up with modern trends and interests. Now, how well the disney company continues to do this today is another question. But to say that trendy is inherently bad, goes against the history of the park imo.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

  14. #59

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Troutdale, Oregon
    Posts
    376

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    "Daddy, no one does homework at theme parks. And I'm tired."
    "If you're tired we can go home after this attraction."
    Instant end to debate. Math homework finished to the horror of the nicer families around us.
    a) Superb parenting.
    B) Tony Stark obviously did HIS math homework, even in theme parks.
    C) Kids who do math homework today wherever they do it grow up to be the Tony Stark Innovators of Tomorrowland!
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

  15. #60

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Troutdale, Oregon
    Posts
    376

    Re: Iron Man not set in the future therefore does not belong in Tomorrowland?

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Exactly, I actually wish that they'd get rid of Autopia and even the Subs and build either a Star Wars sub-land there, or a Marvel area. That is a huge plot of land and we need something there that actually fits the theme of Tomorrowland.
    I think I would explode if they filled in the lagoon. "Finding Nemo" is just a story they're using as an excuse to keep the subs moving. Not like we can just pick up the entire lagoon and move it to Adventureland because it would be more relevant. Not that anyone wants to go on a ride that shows a future ocean, devastated by climate change and bereft of coral reefs, sharks and other endangered species.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man movies linked?
    By Barbossa in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 05:55 AM
  2. Is Tomorrowland Set In the Future?
    By animagusurreal in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 02:40 AM
  3. Hong Kong Disneyland Gets Set to Drive to the Future
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 10:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •