Thread: Rockets

• Master of Disaster

Question Rockets

So I was thinking about how to take an existing idea and "plus" it up a bit.

So here goes!

Take the rockets in tomorrowland (you can put them back up top if you desire) and DOUBLE the number of rockets on the launchpad.

Here's the catch. every other rocket is facing the opposite direction! when the ride starts all the rockets facing one direction (clockwise) rise ABOVE the other rockets and spin in the opposite direction. It would make the ride feel like a "freeway in space" and would totally fit the Tomorrowland theme! (if you ask me we have had rockets since the 60's so its sort of yesterday land)

What do you all think?

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Rockets

Just so long as the bottom group can't "go high" and the upper group can't "drop low".... unless.... they can come up with some sort of synch which would allow them to weave in and out of eachother... that would be REALLY cool.

• Master of Disaster

well I would make it so you can still go up and down a bit, although maybe not as much as now. it would be totally cool to get within lets say 8-10 feet of the other rockets. sort of like the thrill of putting your hands up on a roller coaster.

"Duelling rockets." Love it. Make one set X-wings and the other TIE fighters. Have one mini-Millenium Falcon on the rebel side and one Darth Vader's TIE fighter on the Empire side.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    "Duelling rockets." Love it. Make one set X-wings and the other TIE fighters. Have one mini-Millenium Falcon on the rebel side and one Darth Vader's TIE fighter on the Empire side.
    Let say we do that.

You make it a bigger orbit. You load on one of two platforms. The drive cylinder that the arms attach to telescopes up as the ride starts, this could put everyone above the upper platform. But the inner cylinder stops keeping the X-wings in place but the outer cylinder comes up to right under the arms holding the X-wings, this puts the Tie Fighters just under them.

So now you have the ships alternated, moving on the same shaft. With controls they can be moved up and down. So now you have X wing chasing TIE Fighter who is chasing and X Wing and so on. The kids realize it's a battle and the need to get behind the enemy ship in front of them, or away from the ship behind them. The ships will move in roughly a wave as they try to maneuver to match the ship in front of them.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Those rockets are scary! Felt like I was gonna fall off! haha

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15 View Post
    So I was thinking about how to take an existing idea and "plus" it up a bit.

So here goes!

Take the rockets in tomorrowland (you can put them back up top if you desire) and DOUBLE the number of rockets on the launchpad.

Here's the catch. every other rocket is facing the opposite direction! when the ride starts all the rockets facing one direction (clockwise) rise ABOVE the other rockets and spin in the opposite direction. It would make the ride feel like a "freeway in space" and would totally fit the Tomorrowland theme! (if you ask me we have had rockets since the 60's so its sort of yesterday land)

What do you all think?
    That would have to be a BIG structure to A) Support it's own weight plus the weight of occupants B) allow each "level" a full range of motion without the possibility of having them contact in the middle (a tall adult, for example, at the "apogee" of the lower level, should not be able to raise their hands and get anywhere near the "perigee" of the upper level).

It'd be a huge structure. Definitely possible from an engineering standpoint, but iffy from a real estate standpoint inside the park.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Ha! Cute.

• formerly very helpful

If we're going to make it look like a battle - not that I'm a fan of shooting rides - put a gun on the front like Buzz LIghtyear, and ONE target on the nose of the facing ships. See how many points you can rack up.

Also, while I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.