Planning our trip

My girlfriend and I are planning to go to Disneyland on September 8th-13th. There is a few questions I have though...

1) During the time we're there, will the Haunted Mansion be closed due to getting ready for the Halloween/Christmas theme?plan

2) I have always gotten an annual pass, but I'm not too sure what to buy this trip. Will the price for the deluxe drop in price once September ends?

3) Will Space Mountain be closed, along with Thunder Mountain when we're there? Also is the Iron Man exhibit be gone in September?

4) How will the crowd be? Some of my family live only a couple hours away from Disneyland, and they say that it is really quiet in September, due to kids going back to school. What do you think?
    Last edited by Zeth; 05-03-2013 at 08:41 AM.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Re: Planning our trip

I think I can answer part of #3 for you. Space Mountain should reopen this weekend after being down for about 3 weeks. I believe you will be too early for Big Thunder to reopen. I heard it was closer to October.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Ah, that's a bummer. I was hoping nothing would be closed.

• Chief Troublemaker

We were there Sept 17-20 2012 (Mon-Thur) and the crowds were very low. We were given to understand that that was pretty much the norm for mid week that time of the year but that weekends were still crowded. It was also very hot weather which may have kept some of the locals away. Haunted Mansion Holiday was already in operation. Not sure when it had reopened after the overlay.

Some of the more seasoned MiceChatters may be able to tell you when 'traditionally' the HM closes for the overlay. As far as other ride closures I know that Thunder Mtn isn't supposed to reopen until October. Any other pre-scheduled refurbs are posted on the Disney website about 6-8 weeks out.

As far as I know, the prices for Annual Passes don't drop just because it's no longer the summer season (is that what you mean by lowering after September?). Holiday season (late Sept-just after New Year's) is probably as busy as summer vacation. There has been some speculation here on MC that a price increase is expected in the near future, but nothing has been announced yet.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

Last year the HM closed at the end of August.

• the rockawho?

1) haunted mansion will most likely be closed....

2010 was closed until 16th
    2011 was closed until 15th
    2012 was closed until 14th

they been opening it a day earlier each year, but there is no guarantee they will do it this year.....

2) i doubt the annual prices will ever drop again for a very long time...i do see a potential price increase

3) space mountain maybe closed during your trip....im sure it will reopen soon from the osha situation, but it closes in early to mid september for a few days to get ready for the halloween event....

iron man 3 exhibit is open until september....it can be possibly open longer, but no news yet...

4) it really depends....labor day is on the 2nd, so you may get that rush of people leaving on their vacations after labor day....this day of age, every day seems like a busy day at disneyland
    Last edited by EvilRocketeer; 05-03-2013 at 08:22 PM.

• Selfie Expert

Crowds are typically lower in September, but low crowds typically means there are more likely to be ride closures scheduled.

As others have said, Thunder Mountain I believe is slated to be closed until Halloween. AP prices will not be dropping, and will rather likely be increasing in price.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Under that tree again!

1. Space and HM open for the Halloween Season, which is not a day earlier each year. It happens to start on a Friday and that Friday is not the same date each year. However it can soft open a day or partial day early, that happens. It's likely to open on the 13th.

2. NO! If you want a new AP you should buy a voucher now because we are within about a month of a likely increase. Buy before and activate then and you save the cost of the prie increase.

3. Space is open now, but in number 1 I mentioned that it closes in September. It will be close on September 9th and planned to reopen on the 13th if history repeats. That is when they install the Ghost Galaxy overlay.

Big Thunder won't reopen until Halloween Day.

4. That midweek is a very low crowd period. One of the best times to visit for low crowds. Lots of ride closures during that period.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

So how do I activate the AP if I buy it online?

• Selfie Expert

You activate it at the ticket booth on the first day you plan to use it.

So as long as I pay for it online, I wont have any extra charges when I go to activate it if the prices on AP'S rise?

• Selfie Expert

Right. You're basically buying a voucher for it which you redeem on the day you activate it.

• Selfie Expert

Just make sure you read the expiration date!