Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Joe Flowers

Joe's Oh My Gosh, I can't believe we got invited to Club 1901 Trip Report

I know I should be getting ready for the Gumbally Rally tomorrow and sleeping, but I had to get this trip report in before we headed off on another adventure.

Yes, we have had some really awesome adventures and are totally aware that we're incredibly lucky. On Saturday April 27th, we were invited to experience Club 1901 at Disney California Adventure Park.

But first, here's how we spent our day around the park.
    I love this photo of the four of us on the trolley.

Justin was a great conductor. Lookout for that wall! But seriously, we chatted with him while we waited for the trolley to be ready to depart. When I told him my idea for the photo above, he was quick to jump out and take it for us.

I might try this view another time when the sun isn't directly behind us.

Once the trolley ride was over, we arrived at the start of Buena Vista street, which happens to be close to Guest Services. We got some information on a few guided tours, including a Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour that takes you into a few interesting places, including Walt's apartment on Main Street.
    While we were there, we also filled out a compliment card for Justin, our Trolley Conductor. Whenever someone stands out, it's always important to recognize them and make sure their managers know their work is appreciated.

While waiting for our special event, we hopped on the Little Mermaid.

The great part is that there is hardly a line here anymore and it's pretty much a walk-on ride.

The Fluke is the Duke of Soul. Yeah!

Flotsam and Jetsam beckoning us to go and see Ursula.

At over 7.5 feet tall, she's quite the imposing figure.

I've been trying to get this shot for a little while. There's always been a problem with it being too dark, blurry, out of focus, etc. This one is better, but I'll still try to improve on it in the future.

King Triton is absolutely ripped, but what are those huge caterpillars where his eyebrows should be.

We're happy to see that Soarin' Over California is back after a brief closure.

Can you believe Ruston hadn't ridden Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree? We made sure to remedy that today.

Next, we headed into a seldom visited land (for us at least). It's A Bug's Land, and there's Flik!

Ruston found a "Luigi's Flying Tire Honorary Flight Instructor" sticker just laying around, and decided to modify his shirt with it and strike a dramatic pose.

When is the last time you've rode Heimlich's Chew Chew train? It's been years for us.

Ruston decided the seat belts looked like Fruit Roll-ups

Hmm. A very tough decision. Brussels Sprouts or Candy Valley. Definitely Candy Valley and we were treated to the tasty scent of Animal Cookies.

There was one more ride we decided to brave. Flik's Flyers.

And it's a spinning ride, so that means a few members of our group won't ride. Poor Theresa and Ruston get motion sick. But Ruston decided to give it a try just this once.

While you're spinning, it gives you an interesting look at the Tower of Terror.

There's Theresa just hanging out on the bench. After the ride, Ruston decided he doesn't ever need to do that one again. Aww, it must be terrible to get motion sick.

And then, it was 5pm and time to head over to 1901.

For those who don't know, Club 1901 is a very exclusive club inside California Adventure, similar to Club 33 inside Disneyland, but only Platinum and Executive members of Club 33 are allowed to go into 1901.

Unlike Club 33 though, members can not make reservations for others to visit 1901. At 1901, the member must be with you when you enter.

And this is what's greeting you behind those double doors! There are two different cast members at the desk. Shirley is from Disney Guest Services and has worked as a VIP tour guide in both parks. She has worked the desk of 1901 since it opened. Brittany is the Club 33 representative at the 1901 Lounge.

The front desk of 1901. You can enter on the lounge on either the left or the right of the desk.

After we entered, we set down our bags and were taken on a short tour of the club by Brittany. I'll share some of her comments as I go through some of my pictures.

After our tour, we sat down to chat with the members who made this all happen. To start, we ordered drinks. I decided to try a Rose soda. After a few sips though, I was done. I don't particularly like the flavor or roses I guess. Scent yes, flavor no. It was what I imagine drinking perfume would be like.

Here the bartender is mixing one of their signature cocktails. The ice sphere was interesting to see being created.

We then spent the next 2 hours, chatting with the members, and sharing our stories of some of our favorite Disney adventures. We were able to see the Club 33 access card. This card not only allows you to get into the club, it also acts as a Premiere passport that gets you into Disneyland and Disney World in Florida. Another nice perk of the card: 6 immediate use fast passes for any ride in the park with fast pass!

They also showed us the Club 33 Mickey ears that had just come back in stock at the club. Pretty cool!

Those 2 hours chatting passed way too quickly, and by 7pm they had to head off to dinner reservations at Carthay Circle. But, luckily for us, we were allowed to stay in Club 1901 to order dinner and explore. Time to break out the camera! I tried to do my best to get photos without people in them. I don't want to upset anyone for thinking I'm trying to take their photo. The club is divided into two different lounges. We'll start with a 360 view of the bar lounge. This lounge is located directly behind the welcome desk Once you click below hit the "F" button to go full screen and see it even bigger.

Looking at the bar inside Club 1901. On either side of the bar are chairs dedicated to Walt and his wife Lillian, and Roy and his wife Edna. The chair currently dedicated to Edna was previously dedicated to Ub Iwerks, the animator who along with Walt Disney brought Mickey Mouse to life. Ub was the animator who produced all the drawings for Steamboat Willie.

Above the bar are the numbers 1901. The club was named 1901 because that's the year Walt Disney was born.

Of course we had to pose for a group picture at the bar.

Jacob and Ruston.

And me and Theresa.

Caricatures of Disney's Nine Old Men by animator Mel Shaw. Mel Shaw was one of the animators on the Walt Disney classic Bambi. The last film he worked on was The Lion King.

Here's a closer look at the cart used to make cocktails right beside your table.

If you enter to the right side of the front desk, you'll find yourself in a hallway with this tribute to a young Walt Disney. The Time Magazine cover is from the December 27, 1937 issue and shows Walt posing with 7 porcelain dwarfs. While these aren't the dwarfs in the photo above, they're from the same period.

On the opposite end of this hallway close to the door, Walt occasionally makes an appearance. Every 5 minutes or so, Walt will either walk by the hallway.

Or you'll see his profile as he looks around the club and then rubs his chin.

The second lounge looks pretty comfy. Here's a 360 view of it.

I like that most of the photos on the wall show Walt is his very early years.

A close-up of a few of the different items inside the lounge.

Including a Mickey Mouse doily.

And an Inter-office Communication directing the animators to no longer draw belly-buttons on the characters.

On the left is a very young Walt Disney on his first birthday. On the right is Ruston's grandmother Rhoda. Check out the chair they're both sitting in. Maybe they used the same photo studio!

Here is a model of the Gulfstream II that Walt had on his desk. For pictures of the original, stay tuned to an upcoming post of our visit to the Treasures of Walt Disney Archives exhibit at the Reagan Library.

We were told that these Minnie and Mickey dolls were created by fans and given to Disney before official merchandise was created, thus Minnie with a white skirt and red polka dots instead of vice-versa.

A newspaper clipping the Snow White showing at the Carthay Circle theater. On the left is a clipping about Fantasia.

Not knowing if we'd ever get this opportunity again, of course we wanted to order dinner here. I know it's the same food as the Carthay Circle lounge, but still, we had to get something while we were here.

Since there's four of us, we got to order and sample a little bit of everything.

After reading about all the different options on the DisneyFoodBlog, we chose the Twice Cooked Beef Tacos, Spicy Chicken Roll, Duck Confit Sliders, then off the kids menu we got the Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Mini Hot Dogs in Puff Pastry.

Out of all of them, I enjoyed the Duck Sliders and Mini Hot Dogs the most.

The four of us enjoying dinner in the bar lounge.

If you looked at the 360 photo above, you've already seen this wall. This is what is immediately behind the welcome desk. On it, there are photos from Walt's early life. On the far right of the wall is a digital display showing Walt and at the top is Mickey with his back turned. Every so often, Mickey turns around and does a little dance, and then before you can blink, he's finished and turns back around.

Now that's an interesting lamp.

Caricatures of the production staff of the Silly Symphonies and Walt Disney.

There was one more special treat the club member had arranged for us to experience; a viewing of the World of Color from the VIP section! We've seen the show quite a few times, but it's always from the front section. This is the first time we've watched from the back and been able to see the entire show without turning our heads.

With the night complete, we stopped by the front of the club to take a couple more photos.

And we happened to run into someone we've met before! JP!

She was one of the members of The Sound of Color at Minnie's Moonlit Madness.

Making a funny face at the camera.

So in all, we had a totally amazing time. A huge thanks to the Club 33 member for the invitation to join them for drinks. Thank You!

• Selfie Expert

Re: Joe's Oh My Gosh, I can't believe we got invited to Club 1901 Trip Report

Another amazing TR!! I am so sad I missed out on an opportunity to visit 1901 - hopefully it will happen another day.

Did you purchase a pair of the Club 33 ears? Do they sell 33 merchandise in 1901? Either way, happy to hear they're back in stock!! Those are the best souvenir you can get from there in my opinion.

Thank you again for sharing your adventures!

Oh and good luck at the Gumball Rally!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Awesome report as always! Thanks for sharing!

And you're going to be participating in the Gumball Rally too?? I'll be there also, so hopefully we'll run into each other! I'm such a huge fan of your photos and reports!

I guess we'll see you tomorrow! Good luck!

• Disneyland Dreamer

Totally awesome for you!! Love the interior shots. They really paid attention to detail when they were decorating it, and looks like very 1:1 service. Someday....

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Wow, thank you for sharing such a special trip report. It is fascinating to see inside of these special places. Living vicariously .

I like your idea for the Trolley picture. And Ruston's makeshift Luigi shirt is awesome.

You really have gotten to do so many amazing things at Disneyland! And now at DCA! I always relish your trip reports! I have to agree with you on the rose petal soda....it was a lovely idea and smelled wonderful...the petal itself was even sugary and crunchy, but...blah, like drinking perfume. The mint julep still stands as my favorite Disney drink!
    Glitz, Glamour, Gaiety!

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Another amazing TR!! I am so sad I missed out on an opportunity to visit 1901 - hopefully it will happen another day.

Did you purchase a pair of the Club 33 ears? Do they sell 33 merchandise in 1901? Either way, happy to hear they're back in stock!! Those are the best souvenir you can get from there in my opinion.

Thank you again for sharing your adventures!

Oh and good luck at the Gumball Rally!
    I read that you had to cancel your visit to 1901 on your last trip and was sad for you. Hopefully another opportunity will present itself.
    I didn't see any merchandise available at 1901, so I don't think so. The members we went with told me they stopped by Club 33 to pick up their ears, and we didn't have a chance to buy the ears ourselves. I do agree that they're one of the better items you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Awesome report as always! Thanks for sharing!

And you're going to be participating in the Gumball Rally too?? I'll be there also, so hopefully we'll run into each other! I'm such a huge fan of your photos and reports!

I guess we'll see you tomorrow! Good luck!
    We had a fun time at the gumball rally, though I think I wore my team out with all the speed walking we were doing. I'll be trying to get my trip report up for that in the next week or so. I'm already getting behind on my reports (still have a Reagan Library - Treasures of Disney Archives report to do).

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Wow, thank you for sharing such a special trip report. It is fascinating to see inside of these special places. Living vicariously .

I like your idea for the Trolley picture. And Ruston's makeshift Luigi shirt is awesome.
    Ruston's actually over my house today while we're planning our next big trip together. I told him and he said to say Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by girlonawire View Post
    You really have gotten to do so many amazing things at Disneyland! And now at DCA! I always relish your trip reports! I have to agree with you on the rose petal soda....it was a lovely idea and smelled wonderful...the petal itself was even sugary and crunchy, but...blah, like drinking perfume. The mint julep still stands as my favorite Disney drink!
    I didn't even try the rose petal. By that point, I figured it would taste too much like the drink. Does the Dole Whip float count as a drink? If so, that's my favorite. Otherwise I'll pick the Watermelon soda from China at Club Cool in Epcot.

How FUN! Thanks for sharing the TR and the great pictures

]

• DL Photo Fanatic

You amaze me again with the care and detail of your trip report and photos!

I have 1901 on my dream list and now know more of what it looks like.

Oh, and pass those Rose Petal Sodas down to me. I cannot get enough of them!

I hope someday to meet you all and maybe share an adventure!

• Disneyland Dreamer

Just read through your blog. All I can say is WOW. You certainly have had a TON of memory making outtings to DLR and looks like you've made some great friends along the way. That's what its all about. Good friends and good times.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by mre200200 View Post
    We had a fun time at the gumball rally, though I think I wore my team out with all the speed walking we were doing. I'll be trying to get my trip report up for that in the next week or so. I'm already getting behind on my reports (still have a Reagan Library - Treasures of Disney Archives report to do).
    Ah, yes so did we! Your team was actually in front of us at Monsters Inc.! I realized that after you guys left to get the 10 extra points. We decided to stick around to see if we could squeeze out a few more points but unfortunately miscalculated. We would have been wise to leave too haha. Anyways, can't wait to see your Gumball Rally trip report!

Great trip report! We just left 1901. I was not brave enough to try the rose drink, but the Pimm's Punch was delicious!

You both look very familiar from Gumball Rally! I can not quite remember where I saw you though. At the award ceremony were you in the back?

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by jasoncram View Post
    You both look very familiar from Gumball Rally! I can not quite remember where I saw you though. At the award ceremony were you in the back?
    I wasn't sure who you were talking to, but we were sitting in the back at the Award Ceremony! We were one of the last ones to arrive and the only available seats were in the back haha.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Jealous as always... great trip report.. BUT those Walt shadows are ultra creepy to me. Gives me the shivers.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Just read through your blog. All I can say is WOW. You certainly have had a TON of memory making outtings to DLR and looks like you've made some great friends along the way. That's what its all about. Good friends and good times.
    We definitely have a great group of friends. Glad you liked the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Ah, yes so did we! Your team was actually in front of us at Monsters Inc.! I realized that after you guys left to get the 10 extra points. We decided to stick around to see if we could squeeze out a few more points but unfortunately miscalculated. We would have been wise to leave too haha. Anyways, can't wait to see your Gumball Rally trip report!
    Yeah, we were torn on whether we had enough time to go on Monsters Inc and make it back. We ended up turning our score sheet in about 12 minutes early, so I'm still wondering if we would have made it.

Quote Originally Posted by jasoncram View Post
    Great trip report! We just left 1901. I was not brave enough to try the rose drink, but the Pimm's Punch was delicious!

We were sitting fairly close to the front, on the opposite side of the two orange slides from the sound control table.
    Ruston dressed up as Lord Vader, and the rest of us were Stormtroopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Jealous as always... great trip report.. BUT those Walt shadows are ultra creepy to me. Gives me the shivers.
    Ha. I guess I wasn't really thinking about it that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast