Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Does Disney Purposely Place Lower Quality Attractions in America?

The truth is that almost everything is done better in Japan than in the United States. That's because the Japanese have a strong work ethic that includes workers taking pride in doing their best. And that is something that is mostly absent in the United States.

For example, visit a McDonalds in Japan and you'll find employees doing their absolute best to do their absolute best work. Ride Japan's Bullet Train and you'll find workers performing at the highest level of excellence with trains that run on time to the second.

So it isn't just Disney that's different. It's the entire culture. Japanese workers always strive to do their best - and when they miss that mark, it's considered an embarassment. They expect high quality from each other because each one of them offers their best quality work.

American workers are often satisfied with doing the minimum that is required of them and not much more. So we have come to expect the minimum. And when an American company manages to offer something that is a mere step above the minimum, Americans are amazed as if something wonderful was accomplished.

(I urge you to visit Japan someday and see the difference for yourself.)

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Though some argue people in the U.S. work very hard,The U.S. is the Most Overworked Nation in the World

With the internet, and ability to work from home, it is harder to quantify, (IMHO), how much people are working these days. Also, if you work crazy hours, does your productivity eventually fall off?
    The number of hours that Americans work in no way translates into the quality of the work they are doing.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    I don't know this to be true, but I suspect that the cost of construction is higher in the US than anywhere else.

What I'm getting at is that $1,000,000 would build more and better overseas than it would here in the US.

Again, I'm only guessing.
    A lot of the work that Disney does with building an attraction is highly specialized construction/electrical/artisan work, and of course managers and workers may need to travel to and from the foreign country to complete/supervise the work, which adds to cost. Some of the general construction work, i.e. bulldozing, masonry, carpentry, will no doubt involve the local labor force, as well as some of the artisan work, and this will save money.

Hong Kong Disneyland took about $1.8 billion to build, but that was after spending about $1.7 billion to buy and prepare real estate for construction in Penny's Bay.

I don't think Shanghai will be as expensive as Penny's Bay which involved moving to 2 billion cubic feet of dirt, and a nasty controversy with some of the soil there being contaminated with dioxin and other chemicals.

I thin the Chinese government got the land they needed relatively cheaply as they simply evicted about 2,000 families . . .

The theme park in Shanghai, alone, is about $3.8 billion. That would be like doing 3 of the $1.1 billion DCA's and still have change left over for a good part of a Carsland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    The truth is that almost everything is done better in Japan than in the United States. That's because the Japanese have a strong work ethic that includes workers taking pride in doing their best. And that is something that is mostly absent in the United States.

For example, visit a McDonalds in Japan and you'll find employees doing their absolute best to do their absolute best work. Ride Japan's Bullet Train and you'll find workers performing at the highest level of excellence with trains that run on time to the second.

So it isn't just Disney that's different. It's the entire culture. Japanese workers always strive to do their best - and when they miss that mark, it's considered an embarassment. They expect high quality from each other because each one of them offers their best quality work.

American workers are often satisfied with doing the minimum that is required of them and not much more. So we have come to expect the minimum. And when an American company manages to offer something that is a mere step above the minimum, Americans are amazed as if something wonderful was accomplished.

(I urge you to visit Japan someday and see the difference for yourself.)

Japanese companies sometimes fall far short, just look at Fukushima. The Japanese company bosses had a choice to prepare against an earthquake, or a tsunami, but they didn't realize that both could happen, and they just went with earthquake preparedness. And the result was a nuclear power plant melting down. And now it seems that the Japanese government has lied to its citizens about what happened and how safe food the from the area is or was.

Many of the most innovative companies are American companies, such as Apple, Google, Microsoft . . . Japan was a leader with consumer electronics and personal computers, but for some reason they fell behind. And the Japanese economy is in recession, I believe, and has been for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I think Japan has a lot of positives. They have a demographic crisis, and are rising to the challenge by designing robots to take care of the elderly, and via other means. No country is perfect.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 05-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.

• Banned User

The number of hours that Americans work in no way translates into the quality of the work they are doing.
    American workers are perhaps the most productive in the world, and American hospitals are some of the best in the world, and, arguably, the best colleges are in the United States. The U.S. still does a ton of scientific research, and is well known for its creative strengths. And I think US scientists win the most Nobel Prizes each year.

U.S. Workers World's Most Productive - CBS News

Not to put down Japan, I think the country should have gotten that plasma fusion project:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

It seems that the average hours worked per week in Japan has fallen since the 1980s:

In 1986 the average employee worked 2,097 hours in Japan, compared with 1,828 hours in the
    United States and 1,702 in France. By 1995 the average annual hours in Japan had decreased to 1,884 hours and by 2009 to 1,714 hours.[3] The average Japanese worker is entitled to fifteen days of paid vacation a year but usually takes only seven days.[citation needed]

And there is a new trend towards unscrupulous business practices to get around unions and other laws:

In recent years, dispatch "haken" contracts have been gradually becoming more popular among major companies. Coupled with the decreasing size of the Japanese workforce, the average hours worked in a week has been on the rise at many medium to large sized companies. In Tokyo, it is common for many employees to work twelve or more hours a day in certain industries, despite contracts claiming an 8 hour work day. At many companies, there is a written-in overtime allowance per month in the contract. Often the first 20-40 hours of overtime are "service overtime" and therefore unpaid.

Seems like a corrupt system to me. The cozy relationship between the government and business allows TEPCO (Fukushima nuclear power plant owner) to do a shoddy job with the clean up. They didn't care to build a concrete slab between the power plant and the ground to prevent ground water contamination, per TIME

http://science.time.com/2013/05/01/l...-is-faltering/

They don't even know if they can clean it up

“The Fukushima Daiichi plant remains in an unstable condition, and there is concern that we cannot prevent another accident,” Shunichi Tanaka, chairman of the Nuclear Regulation Authority,
    said in a news conference in early April.

That was sadly this April, with regards to another tsunami causing another meltdown in the same plant.

Last edited by chesirecat; 05-05-2013 at 08:30 PM.

And Americans get really upset if one of their co-workers actually WANTS to work hard -- they're afraid they'll be expected to work harder...

BUT

I do not believe that Cast Members at Disneyland, particularly the ones working as Characters, do much slacking, at least not those visible to the public. Wearing a pukey chipmunk head goes above and beyond what most America workers would ever do!
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    And Americans get really upset if one of their co-workers actually WANTS to work hard -- they're afraid they'll be expected to work harder...

BUT

I do not believe that Cast Members at Disneyland, particularly the ones working as Characters, do much slacking, at least not those visible to the public. Wearing a pukey chipmunk head goes above and beyond what most America workers would ever do!
    Huh? The American workplace is often very competitive, workers vie for promotions and raises. In Japan it was important to be seen at work at odd hours, though I'm not sure if that translates into productivity. Seriously, we've all seen the kiss up's who come in early, or stay late, just to be seen by the boss.

With telecommuting, and creative/intellectual professions, such as an architect or university professor, not being in the office doesn't mean you're not continuing your work. Yahoo's new CEO got in trouble for requiring workers to come into work as many of them, doubtlessly for legitimate reasons, telecommute.

At any rate, it seems that on the surface the number of hours worked in Japan and the U.S. are close, yet the U.S.'s workers are very productive. Americans do have a strong work ethic, overall.

•   
    • Minion

I wouldn't look at either Japan OR the USA as examples of ideal work ethic and conditions. Employees in both countries commonly work long hours, have little vacation time and frequently struggle with work/life balance. In other countries there's more time off, a shorter work day and more of a life/work balance. It can be argued that well-rested and content employees produce better results.

On this study the most productive nation of all is Norway.
    http://247wallst.com/2010/06/28/72005/2/
    Last edited by Malina; 05-06-2013 at 12:45 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I wouldn't look at either Japan OR the USA as examples of ideal work ethic and conditions. Employees in both countries commonly work long hours, have little vacation time and frequently struggle with work/life balance. In other countries there's more time off, a shorter work day and more of a life/work balance. It can be argued that well-rested and content employees produce better results.

On this study the most productive nation of all is Norway.
    The Twenty Most Productive Nations In The World - 24/7 Wall St.
    I've seen that before, I'm part Norwegian, so I cheer this fact, but outside of work ethic, it is also due to the fact that Norway has great natural resources (anybody who has ridden the Norway ride in Epcot knows that Norway produces a lot of oil and natural gas), hence the per capita GDP is elevated. Plus the same list has US as number 3.

European countries, at least some of them, have pretty generous laws that limit work hours:

10 Countries Where Workers Avoid A Long Work Week

Amazingly, Germans work much less than the Greeks . . . but obviously, Germany has the strongest economy in the EU. Apparently because Germany has a much higher GDP than Greece, on a per capita basis, due to an efficient manufacturing sector.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17155304

For some reason I kinda feel a little bit nervous about the fact that Germany is once again the dominant country in the region with all those super efficient factories.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 05-06-2013 at 01:14 AM.

• Banned User

Like my Brazilian father-in-law always says, America invents evrything and then Japan makes it smaller.

• Artistic integrity

So far ... this topic seems to be saying - It comes down to the general populations between America and Japan.

I think it just simply comes down to the way the Walt Disney Co. executives like to work ... compared to the owners of the Tokyo Disney Resort - Oriental Land Co.

* U.S. Disney execs .. build as cheaply as we can!
    * OLC - We got the money, no reason to shortchange guests, the way U.S. Disney execs like to.

DCA and DisneySea were built at the same time. Perfect example of two projects built at the same time line - From one standing on it's own today - The other ... Well, we know how that turned out.

So ... we have to remember how the OLC factors into the whole scheme here. It's because of them ... Is how we have these "two worlds" .... Japan's "Disney" parks ... and parks built under the U.S.A. based Disney Co. in good ole Burbank California ............ One would rather built it cheaper .. .because they just don't care - The Japanese OLC ... Love the worlds created by Walt Disney .. and prefer to deliver the same level of quality that Walt set forth, originally.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 05-06-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I think it just simply comes down to the way the Walt Disney Co. executives like to work ... compared to the owners of the Tokyo Disney Resort - Oriental Land Co.

* U.S. Disney execs .. build as cheaply as we can!
    * OLC - We got the money, no reason to shortchange guests, the way U.S. Disney execs like to.
    Exactly right.

And yet the myth continues that the legacy of Eisner's cheap vision for the DLR and WDW, and his cynical disregard for the customers and employees, isn't still alive and thriving.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly right.

And yet the myth continues that the legacy of Eisner's cheap vision for the DLR and WDW, and his cynical disregard for the customers and employees, isn't still alive and thriving.
    There seems to be a rehabilitation of Eisner's image of late, at least in term of diehard fans. At least Eisner keept the company together, and he did OK a lot of stuff of varying quality, some of the good stuff being Splash Mountain.

I think Westcot wasn't built in large part due to the Anaheim Home owners association, so they put in some dinky rides as they had to something as Anaheim "won" over Long Beach. If Disneyland Paris had succeeded financially right off the blocks, I don't think Eisner would have gone cheap with DCA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12