• Minion

Things for aspiring imagineers to do

Do you guys have any ideas for projects or things to do for people who want to be imagineers in the future? Here are some of mine

Drawing
    Making models
    jotting down ideas
    looking up disney attraction history
    designing an enclosure for a pet i.e fish or reptiles etc

• Sondheimian

Re: Things for aspiring imagineers to do

This is what I do, and I just love doing it anyway, but I think it's extremely beneficial to be involved in the Theatre in some way, because Disney attractions are basically just gigantic shows. Every aspect of Theatre is in every single Disney attraction. I'm majoring in Design/Technical Theatre, and that's how I'm preparing.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney

• No Disassemble!

Read "Brain Storm: Unleashing Your Creative Self" by Don Hahn.

Amazon.com: Brain Storm: Unleashing Your Creative Self (9781423140368): Don Hahn: Books
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Read some books written by the imagineers:

1)The Imagineering Way

http://www.amazon.com/Imagineering-Way-The-Imagineers/dp/B001Q3M6OI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367763182&sr=8-1&keywords=imagineering+way

2) The Imagineering Workout

Amazon.com: The Imagineering Workout (9780786855544): The Disney Imagineers: Books

I have the second book, and I recommend it.

Another idea is if you plan to go to college, consider Cal State Fullerton. Also known as "Cal State Disney", because they have a strong network of people who can get you to imagineering, from what I've been told.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Minion

^thats where I'm actually planning to go, but I was going because they were one of the schools that had a BFA. I didn't even know of their connection with disney.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    Another idea is if you plan to go to college, consider Cal State Fullerton. Also known as "Cal State Disney", because they have a strong network of people who can get you to imagineering, from what I've been told.
    CSUF isn't really called Cal Sate Disney because of networking to Imagineering, it's called that because many people that go to CSUF work at Disneyland because of the park's proximity to the college, and that very fact attracts lots of people to apply and attend CSUF. I have a relative that attends there and would always joke about how great it was to have Cinderella and Belle in her class. It was actually my backup school for that very reason, though I ended up going elsewhere.

Anyways, since we're on the subject of college, once you're there for a few years in, I would suggest checking out the ImagiNations competition. (ImagiNations: Dream Design Diversify| Disney Careers | Disney.com) Even if it's a ways away for you, it's something to keep in mind if you have any interest in participating. Also, once enrolled, see if your class offers a class on Disney--I'm in one right now, and though it's primarily about the films, we do brush on the subject of the theme parks, including an Imagineering project that I'm currently working on.

And again on the subject of college, find what you're really passionate about. Do you know what this is for you? Is it art? Is it theatre? It is writing? Is it engineering? You mentioned that you were pursuing a BFA, so you might already have an idea of what this passion is. Really embrace it and learn ways to cultivate it. Don't try to just "become an Imagineer"--you have to find something that you will be happy doing regardless of whom you work for, and go to college to grow in that interest. In the meantime, really immerse yourself into learning about the world and creating everything you can. Read, paint, draw, sculpt, write, listen, design, explore, learn new skills, imagine, and really cultivate your curiosity. Check in your local library for books on Disneyland, theme park design, art, etc. Get involved in armchair/backyard Imagineering, as well as searching the internet to see what others have created. Get involved in a local theatre group. Try your hand at things that aren't necessarily your forte--even if you do know what your passion is, get outside your comfort zone to develop your creativity and ingenuity, and to perhaps find other talents/interests that you didn't know existed. Be a sponge and soak up everything that you experience in life, and then take everything you've learned and use that to create. No matter where you end up going, this will benefit you in life.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    CSUF isn't really called Cal Sate Disney because of networking to Imagineering, it's called that because many people that go to CSUF work at Disneyland because of the park's proximity to the college, and that very fact attracts lots of people to apply and attend CSUF. I have a relative that attends there and would always joke about how great it was to have Cinderella and Belle in her class. It was actually my backup school for that very reason, though I ended up going elsewhere.

Anyways, since we're on the subject of college, once you're there for a few years in, I would suggest checking out the ImagiNations competition. (ImagiNations: Dream Design Diversify| Disney Careers | Disney.com) Even if it's a ways away for you, it's something to keep in mind if you have any interest in participating. Also, once enrolled, see if your class offers a class on Disney--I'm in one right now, and though it's primarily about the films, we do brush on the subject of the theme parks, including an Imagineering project that I'm currently working on.

And again on the subject of college, find what you're really passionate about. Do you know what this is for you? Is it art? Is it theatre? It is writing? Is it engineering? You mentioned that you were pursuing a BFA, so you might already have an idea of what this passion is. Really embrace it and learn ways to cultivate it. Don't try to just "become an Imagineer"--you have to find something that you will be happy doing regardless of whom you work for, and go to college to grow in that interest. In the meantime, really immerse yourself into learning about the world and creating everything you can. Read, paint, draw, sculpt, write, listen, design, explore, learn new skills, imagine, and really cultivate your curiosity. Check in your local library for books on Disneyland, theme park design, art, etc. Get involved in armchair/backyard Imagineering, as well as searching the internet to see what others have created. Get involved in a local theatre group. Try your hand at things that aren't necessarily your forte--even if you do know what your passion is, get outside your comfort zone to develop your creativity and ingenuity, and to perhaps find other talents/interests that you didn't know existed. Be a sponge and soak up everything that you experience in life, and then take everything you've learned and use that to create. No matter where you end up going, this will benefit you in life.

Thanks for the advice! My plan is to work for themed entertainment as a concept artist, specifically for disney. although i'm not very good with math (which i think is involved with engineering) I can draw. I was also thinking about joining the crew for my school plays to help with the props an what not.

• Under that tree again!

The #1 tip is in my signature.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Get a Engineering degree and or a MBA. Masters levels and above prefered if you want to stand out. Also once you are in school for engineering apply for imagineering summer Internship.

I would recommend getting an engineering degree. It is very hard to get a job at corporate Disney. I have an MFA and and completing and MBA and I still haven't been accepted for an internship. I spoke with the woman in charge of recruiting and she said that they get hundreds of thousands of applicants so they are going to pick the MBA student who also has 10 years of executive experience over a regular student. My advice would be to realize that you and everyone else wants a job at Disney, and be prepared for an alternative career. I really don't think that drawing impresses them either since they have let go of all the hand drawn animators, my best advice would be to get an engineering degree and start networking.

• Golden State of Mind

I'll chime in and say whatever route you go, make sure you don't lose that drawing skill. It may not be what you want to focus on, but if you go engineering or whatever just be sure to keep that drawing skill under your belt. Pick something you are good at and like doing, and do everything you can to show you are one of the best at what you do. Imagineering is everything from initial thought to completed product(tion).

Best of luck!
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever