Special dietary needs..DLR restaurants

Hi all,

We will be making our annual pilgrimage from Chicago to Disneyland in June. My wife is on a medically prescribed diet of mostly protein and vegetables. As always, we want to enjoy the best of the DLR dining experience. What would be good choices for counter service or sitdown lunch, and sitdown dinner? She can have most meat, fish or fowl, broiled, grilled, or otherwise without added fat or sugar, and the same with vegetables and salad...plain without cheese, fat, etc. No carbs, bread, or dairy. We have dined at Club 55, Carthay, and other nice places in previous years, but feel a little more challenged this time around.

Cheers,
    Don in Chicagoland

• #bringevilback

Re: Special dietary needs..DLR restaurants

Most sit down places should be pretty easy as you can order the entre without the starch and specifically ask for no oil added or used during cooking. You could even browse the menus at allears Disneyland Resort Menus for options before you go and make reservations at whichever places you decide

• Chief Troublemaker

Disneyland is excellent in dealing with dietary restrictions. It's a little easier to feel 'safe' with table service as opposed to counter service. Just alert your server when you are seated and they will get the chef for you to discuss your wife's needs. Sounds like basically she's on plain meat and plain veggies? That should be no problem at any table service location. As far as counter service, she should probably be able to get a plain burger or chicken breast, no bun. Most have salads of some kind, but they are usually pre-made, dressings on the side. Before Disney had so many gluten free products for us Celiacs, we could always get plain meat and salad, no sauces or breads.

The higher end places (Carthay, Bayou, Club 33) will be able to accommodate you with ease. Don't worry, Disney will take care of your wife.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Disneyland is excellent in dealing with dietary restrictions. It's a little easier to feel 'safe' with table service as opposed to counter service. Just alert your server when you are seated and they will get the chef for you to discuss your wife's needs. Sounds like basically she's on plain meat and plain veggies? That should be no problem at any table service location. As far as counter service, she should probably be able to get a plain burger or chicken breast, no bun. Most have salads of somekind, but they are usually pre-made, dressings on the side. Before Disney had so many gluten free products for us Celiacs, we could always get plain meat and salad, no sauces or breads.

The higher end places (Carthay, Bayou, Club 33) will be able to accommodate you with ease. Don't worry, Disney will take care of your wife.
    Thanks for the info. She basically does just plain meats/chicken/fish and veggies/salads. I can see where the pre-made salads will be an issue as she can't have any yellow veggies like carrots, and generally she asks for fresh lemon wedges to squeeze on the salads with maybe olive oil on the side. Any Downtown Disney recommendations?

• Mrs. J. Depp

Aww I totally know the feeling. I've had to visit the resort twice when I was on the EXACT same diet as your wife and its easier to do if you eat at places that can really cater to you and make even boring veggies seem as interesting as something else. Counter service places are not the best or easiest option in this case unfortunately. I remember eating a turkey leg and being fine but I honestly had no idea if they had used gluten in the process of cooking it or not. I wish you the best of luck and I hope that the trip is a success in the dietary department and otherwise!!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by don731 View Post
    Thanks for the info. She basically does just plain meats/chicken/fish and veggies/salads. I can see where the pre-made salads will be an issue as she can't have any yellow veggies like carrots, and generally she asks for fresh lemon wedges to squeeze on the salads with maybe olive oil on the side. Any Downtown Disney recommendations?
    I haven't eaten anywhere in DTD, sorry. We bring an ice chest w/gluten free and regular breakfast stuff to the Grand & have breakfast in the room & then a meal in the park in the late-ish afternoon. I'm not a veggie eater myself (shame on me) & I don't remember if the salads had carrots or not. If they did, I would have picked them off & I don't really remember any big hassle of picking off stuff I didn't like. The counter service CMs have always been really nice & if the menu boards don't show what's on the salad I know they'll be more than willing to tell you, especially if you let them know it's because of a dietary restriction.

Check out this link: Disneyland Resort Menus

It does contain descriptions of some of the salads & dishes.

BTW, sounds like your wife is on a similar diet to one of my BFFs. Plain meat, plain veggies, no fruit, no salt, and her 'treat' is 1/4 of a plain small baked potato per WEEK!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

She is on the Ideal Protein diet. So far she has lost 70 lbs.
    Thanks!

Napa Rose is very accommodating with food restrictions/allergies and the food is amazing. You'll definitely fare well there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Like others have stated I would just just make reservations at all the Sit Down restuarants and would avoid the quick service areas as they are harder to adapt to your needs.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• A Happy Haunt

I eat the same way, it's not medically prescribed though. It's called a Paleo, or the Caveman's diet.

No sugar, grain or dairy.

I've found a lot of options at the DLR. once in a while, I will decide before going... It's a splurge day and can load up on the treats. Dole whip, cookies (wow, those white chocolate chip cookies!?? What!?)

anyhow, the easiest has been to avoid the pasta and breads. Plaza Inn is an immediate satisfaction with the beef or chicken, no potato all veg.

Check the menus online as suggested.
    Don't let the "prescribed" diet become a challenge.
    Of course you can head downtown for more options.

• The doctor is in

I witnessed this while eating lunch at Blue Bayou today. There was a couple next to us and the girl was lactose intolerant. She notified their server and one of the chefs came out of the kitchen and discussed their entree options with them and offered to custom make her something she could eat.

If you are at any restaurant in Disneyland or DCA, it's just a matter of asking your server about your options. They will work with you as best they can.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

My wife ordered me a gluten free burger for tomorrow land terrace, and the chef came out to take the order, and hand delivered it to her when finished.

Usually we pack a small cooler with our meals and snacks, but do some research and you will see ideas like the above where you can start with. I've had only good experiences at dland with regards to my GF diet.

Thanks everybody! We have ressies for Carthay Circle, Blue Bayou, and Napa Rose. Now we need to figure out the best lunch possibilities...she generally just gets a big plate of lettuce with no cheese, no croutons, no yellow veggies (just green veggies), with lemon wedges to squeeze onto it. Any recommendations at either park? Excitement is building!
    Cheers,
    Don in Chicagoland

My Disneyland inspired village layout:
    Holiday Fantasmic 2012 - YouTube

• socal native

If you go for counter service and want a salad, they will accommodate special diets. I have a nut allergy, and in nearly every case they have been able to make me a fresh salad, minus the nuts. If you see something you are interested in, even at counter service, don't be afraid to ask if it can be served without the item that is restricted. I have yet to encounter a CM who wasn't willing to at least try and help, offer an alternative, or find out if the menu item was safe to eat. All the above restaurant choices are good, but Disney dining establishments are very friendly to those with dietary issues. Best wishes on your trip!