Winter is Coming......on the Monstrous Summer??

First off, sorry I just had to start off with a Game of Thrones reference

Anyway, I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting skeptical with the Monstrous Summer 24 hour day.

There's a lot of info on what's being planned in the parks, but not a lot of info on how they'll handle the crowds. When I say this, I'm referring to traffic on the 5, parking, people stuck in the esplanade, etc.

If you recall, during the one more Disney day event, the exits near the 5 fwy were bad. Also, a lot of people were stuck in the esplanade because the park was packed.

The kicker in this, unlike OMDD, is the Grad Nite will be on the same day. IMO, the info they have on how they're going to handle both events seems confusing (and conflicting), and I'm sure there's going to be issues on that day.

I really want to go, but I have reservations.

Is anyone feeling the same way, or are you just going to go regardless? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

Re: Winter is Coming......on the Monstrous Summer??

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    First off, sorry I just had to start off with a Game of Thrones reference

Anyway, I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting skeptical with the Monstrous Summer 24 hour day.

There's a lot of info on what's being planned in the parks, but not a lot of info on how they'll handle the crowds. When I say this, I'm referring to traffic on the 5, parking, people stuck in the esplanade, etc.

If you recall, during the one more Disney day event, the exits near the 5 fwy were bad. Also, a lot of people were stuck in the esplanade because the park was packed.

The kicker in this, unlike OMDD, is the Grad Nite will be on the same day. IMO, the info they have on how they're going to handle both events seems confusing (and conflicting), and I'm sure there's going to be issues on that day.

I really want to go, but I have reservations.

Is anyone feeling the same way, or are you just going to go regardless? Or am I worrying about nothing?
    No way would I go. I want to go when I can ENJOY the park, now when it's going to be a nightmare. It looke to me that those who are planning to go are only doing it because it's a unique experience, not because they think they will actually enjoy it.

I was at OMDD and NYE and will go if I can get in DL before late afternoon. After that it will not be worth it and might even be impossible due to traffic jams and/or main gate closure. I will plan to *not* park hop, or visit my car for any reason, and stay put in DL for the entire time I'm there.

Also, if the tram stop is full of Grad Niters I will walk to the main gate. I didn't mind the GN crowds in the park last year but riding the tram with rowdy teenagers was no fun, unless you're a rowdy teenager yourself, I suppose.

• Evil is Sexy

Skipping it this year. I'm of the opinion this was poorly planned and would have been more enjoyable had they made the events seperate.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Skipping it this year. I'm of the opinion this was poorly planned and would have been more enjoyable had they made the events seperate.
    Same here...
    For the love of Disney....

• #bringevilback

I missed the OMDD so I want to go just for the experience, but I know fully well it will be a total mess. Plus I'm making sure to be there early to hopefully avoid the traffic nightmare

I feel that they should have separated the Grad Night and the Monstrous event as well. It does make me a little nervous knowing that the crowds are going to be even worse than at the last 24 hour event. I am still planning on going and I guess since I've already made peace with the fact that I wont ride any rides and will spend my time people watching and taking in the sites I have left little room for little disappointment in that area.
    A family's Disney tips and Information
    www.mousypants.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yes, 14MPH. I have the same concerns and reservations you have.

I wasn't able to attend the previous 24 hour event, so at first, I thought this would be a great chance to attend, especially if DL learned it's lesson from the previous event, AND considering that BOTH Parks, DL and DCA would participate.

Then come the trepadation, knowing that this is Memorial Day weekend, AND then DL NOT taking into consideration that this was the SAME day as a grad night party!

Then also add to the mix, from personal experience, DL often forgets their failures of the past, and oft repeats failures at future special events.

I probably would only be able to attend that last 12 hours of the event, 6pm, to 6am, and that is apparently when all heck broke loose last time around. BUT these Scrabble tiles, when placed together, sadly spell D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R, for this fest.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Im going and now know about Micechat this is going to be very interesting. I think Dusty is planning two meetups for that terrible day. And I think on OMDD traffic should just be called parking lot
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

There's almost a square formed by highway 39, the 91 freeway, the 55 freeway, and the 22 freeway, with the 5 freeway running diagonally through it, and Disney in the middle. I plan on avoiding the entirety of the square. Good luck to the brave.

Seriously, Memorial Day Friday is one of the worst traffic days in Southern California... EVERY YEAR. This whole plan wreaks of Florida suits who don't get it and don't care. They don't understand Grad Nites out here, they don't understand local traffic, and they don't understand that there truly is such a thing as bad press.
    Last edited by lightofdarkness; 05-07-2013 at 08:29 AM.

• Non-Minion

quick question, I actually attended the OMDD and remember the 45 min walk from BTMRR to POTC...yeah...never again. But I digress; wasn't the OMDD open to all AP holders? meaning that none were blacked out? With Memorial Day weekend I would think that all except the Premium AP holders would be blocked out.

That could possibly help crowding but who am I kidding?! I for one will not be attending.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    quick question, I actually attended the OMDD and remember the 45 min walk from BTMRR to POTC...yeah...never again. But I digress; wasn't the OMDD open to all AP holders? meaning that none were blacked out? With Memorial Day weekend I would think that all except the Premium AP holders would be blocked out.

That could possibly help crowding but who am I kidding?! I for one will not be attending.
    On Friday the 24, only the SoCal Selects are blacked out. On Saturday, everyone but Premium is blacked out. I hope there isn't the same issue some APs had during OMDD with trying to parkhop/reenter after midnight only to be told by CMs they couldn't come in because they were blacked out that despite the 24hr operating day.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    On Friday the 24, only the SoCal Selects are blacked out. On Saturday, everyone but Premium is blacked out. I hope there isn't the same issue some APs had during OMDD with trying to parkhop/reenter after midnight only to be told by CMs they couldn't come in because they were blacked out that despite the 24hr operating day.
    I remember hearing about that nightmare, I'm actually surprised that Disney hasn't come up with a way to have every pass blocked out on those days and just sell individual tickets for the event. You could also make it open for anyone who just happened to be there that day. Put an upcharge (because we all know DLR loves to upcharge their guests) to upgrade, maybe $20 and that will turn it into an "event ticket". throughout the day people who purchased an event ticket can check in and get either a wrist band or special lanyard to identify themselves after everyone else is kicked out at 6pm.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"