Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Proud owner: 50th Tiki

Digger's 4th Annual Rally Report - photo heavy!

Hey everybody, welcome to my 4th annual Gumball Rally trip report. As usual, I will be including photos of many different teams we encountered during our adventures throughout Disneyland as well as some descriptions of the rally for those of you who could not attend.

Lets get started with Episode 1: “Breakfast is Served”

As we made our way to check in at the ESPN Zone we saw that something else was being set up early in the morning. I was not aware that Disneyland was hosting the Orange County AIDS walk. When we passed by they had just finished setting up a huge water table:

As we made our way though Downtown Disney we saw some of the AIDS Walk teams taking photos:

Soon enough we spotted the rally check in location!

As usual, the check-in staff was amazing! Even though they had been setting up since 5AM or so, they were so friendly.

After the team captain checked their team in, it was off to stand in line for team photos and breakfast.

My teammates!!

Almost in…..

Once inside Fishbulb took photos of every team:

Our team (looking good in our Jolly Roger/Gumball logo):

After team photos, it was time to socialize and enjoy the ESPN Zone breakfast burritos…..

Some teams, realizing that they stood NO CHANCE against team “Dead Men Blow No Bubbles”, decided they should start hitting “the sauce” early to numb the pain of certain defeat:

Other teams decided to get a few more moments of rest before the big race (I also have an interesting fact about this team – to be shared later in this TR):

The object of everyone’s desire:

At breakfast I found “The Jungle Cruise Jedi”. I had seen their fantastic logo on the official logo page (Gumball Rally 2013 - Best Team Name and Logo Contest ) , and they were kind enough to pose for a quick photo:

Some teams were busy conspiring against us plotting their strategy at breakfast:

After breakfast, Dusty took the stage to tell everyone the rally rules:

At one point he asked everyone who was a first-time rally participant to raise their hands…..I was shocked at how many people were running their first rally. I would estimate that 2/3 of the people in the main room indicated they were first-timers.

Dusty also decided to conduct a pop-quiz while he had everyone’s attention. His first question: If given the opportunity, how many of you would switch teams to become a member of “Dead Men Blow No Bubbles”? The response was overwhelming:

2nd question from Dusty: Do you think “Dead Men Blow No Bubbles” should be forced to take an hour-long lunch break at the Big Thunder BBQ to give the rest of you a fighting chance to win?

We decided that, since everyone was so intimidated by our team, that we would go ahead and take that long lunch break.

Not long after the pop-quiz, team captains were given their Rally Questionnaires and the race was on!

COMING UP: OFF TO THE RACES!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Digger's 4th Annual Rally Report - photo heavy!

yay! Glad you had a great time. I appreciate the report!

Part 2 - OFF TO THE RACES

Before we go any further, please let me introduce team “Dead Men Blow No Bubbles”: There is me (the old guy distinguished gentleman on the left), my little girl Regan, and my buddy Matt. Matt had been in Disneyland last year when we ran the rally, but he didn’t participate. This year I talked him in to running the rally with us.

After everyone had finished breakfast and been given their rally question packet the race was on! Some of the teams decided to wait for the Monorail:

“The Lost Girls” waiting for the Monorial. This was another team who had a fantastic logo:

We decided to walk back to the main entrance of Disneyland. Since we are in the race more for the fun and camaraderie, I find it enjoyable to walk up Main Street to start the rally…and get some “low 4’s” from cast members along the way:

This year we decided to score some Space Mountain Fastpasses before we rode our first ride. We were not the only ones with this idea:

As usual, we started our rally in Fantasyland…..and as usual, Peter Pan was our first ride of the day. I always like to start with Peter Pan since it was the first ride my daughter ever rode in Disneyland. We weren’t the only team thinking that Pan was a good place to start:

Sometimes you can just read a person’s mind. In this case – “How can we possibly beat that skull/gumball team?”

After Pan we made our way to Mr. Toad, where we ran into another rally team:

“Well, the No Bubbles team is on our tail……might as well throw this answer sheet in the trash”:

Next, it was off to Sleeping Beauty Castle, Snow White, and Pinocchio:

Coming up: THE RACE CONTINUES

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

OH YAY, I LOVE YOUR GUMBALL RALLY TRIP REPORTS! They are always so funny! Looking forward to seeing the rest!

I love this so far! Can't wait to see more, I know we saw you a time or two along the way, we were Experiments 626 with the Stitch Ears. Such a fun first rally!

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Nice trip report and photos! We were "Rebel Alliance Without a Cause". We did not see you guys, but we started in DCA this year. It is interesting to see what it was like for all the teams starting at Disneyland. Opening both parks at the same time was an interesting twist this year.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Nice Trip Report! Always fun to see the teams! I'm setting up at the HoJo all day, so I can only live through the in-park fun through these trip reports.

So ready for Part 3!
    -Monorail Man

Part 3: THE RACE CONTINUES

We were not quite done in Fantasyland – we decided to ride Alice before heading over to Space Mountain to redeem our Fastpasses. On Alice we ran into a few more teams:

After Alice we started to head over to Space Mountain.

On the way, we ran in to one of our favorite logo teams again, The Lost Girls…who were waiting in line for Buzz Lightyear:

Before we rode Space Mountain we decided to stop at Star Trader and answer a quick question. This is where we learned that there are limited pinball machines inside. We also learned that, when you have a 9 year old on your team, it is just best to avoid any arcade related questions in general…..the kids tend to want to hang out and play the games instead of race:

On Space Mountain we saw a couple more teams:

After Space Mountain we decided to keep the whole “Mountain thing” going, so we walked over to Splash Mountain to get a Fastpass. On the long walk we ran into more rally teams:

After getting our Fastpasses, we headed over to the Big Thunder BBQ to have some lunch……and who did we run into? Yup, the team I told you that I had a little secret about. This poor team, as friendly as they were, unknowingly put themselves into a “no win situation” You see, if we see you 4 or more times during the rally, you pretty much have no chance of winning. By the time we spotted them at the BBQ, we had seen these ladies 5 times…….time to re-think your strategy girls!

At lunch someone had informed the staff that we were coming, so they all lined up to see us:

After a long lunch we headed over to the cabin to answer a quick question. We ran into yet another team there:

This year the MiceChat Team was smart about the cabin question they asked. Those of us who ran the race last year will remember that they asked a question about apples on a table…..apples which had been tampered with during the race so that some of them magically “disappeared” resulting in a few teams not being able to match the number of apples counted with answers on the sheet. This year the question was about an award that was behind glass.

After getting our answer, we set out towards Splash Mountain. On the way out we were side-tracked by another distraction – a horse. More advice for teams with young kids….avoid arcades and anything with live animals!

We ran into a couple of teams on the walk back to Splash Mountain:

On Splash Mountain we saw a few teams either riding or waiting for teammates, but only one photo turned out:

My daughter happy to be on a “big girl ride”:

Dead Men Blow No Bubbles – representing on Splash Mountain!

Coming up: MATT MAKES A REALIZATION……POOR MATT

Awesome pics!
    For the love of Disney....

LOL Team Never Tell Us The Odds got distracted by the horse too at BTR. We were there in the late afternoon so it was a different horse. It was a highland patterned Clydesdale (A bay color with lots of white all over the body). It caused us to miss the Mark Twain and 3 possible points.
    We couldn't help it. We are both horse-crazy.

Looks like fun! Someday my husband and I will do this.

I can't wait for more! Thanks for the TR.

Part 4: MATT MAKES A REALIZATION……POOR MATT

We left off riding Splash Mountain. Here are a couple of shots I took while we were on the ride:

As we got off, we were “spotted”:

My poor buddy Matt. After we rode Splash Mountain we headed over to ride the Mark Twain and check on some Native American flags. As we took the slow ride around the Rivers of America, Matt realized that if we had not stopped for lunch, we would actually have a chance to place well in this race. I think it was about this point in the race that he started thinking towards next year with a more competitive set of teammates. I made sure to tell him to register early since the Rally wound up with a long waiting list this year. Some scenery during our voyage:

On the Mark Twain we ran into more teams:

As we got off of the magnificent paddle-wheeler, we spotted other teams ready to get on:

After our river ride, we decided to keep the theme of relaxing rides going, so we headed over to Tomorrowland Station for a leisurely train ride around the park. While we waited for the train I asked Matt to take a picture of me and Regan:

Regan asked Matt to take one more, where she though she was the only one giving “bunny ears”:

All aboard:

Our first stop was Main Street Station. As you can see, the crowds were actually pretty light for a Saturday:

Cinderella was out doing what she does best:

We ran into a couple of teams along the way:

One lonely CM:

Coming up later tonight – AN AUTOPIA FIRST

Before I go any further into this TR, let me just say what an amazing job the MiceChat crew did putting this whole rally together! I can’t begin to imagine the time it takes to come up with all of the questions, create an answer sheet, coordinate all of the team information, arrange for breakfast at the ESPN Zone, put together the after party…..you get the idea.

While I’m handing out kudos, how about those Disneyland Cast Members? I don’t know about the rest of you, but they were absolutely incredible to us. One CM “delayed” us at the entrance to Splash Mountain….he said one of the teams had asked him to keep the other teams from entering…and he played along very well for a few seconds. We also ran in to a very friendly CM on Pirates. I was talking to him for a few seconds in line when he told me to tell the MiceChat crew that we had run into the peg-leg pirate. I thought he was just messing around, then as he walked away I noticed he really did only have one leg. Along the way several other CMs wished us good luck in the race, or wanted to know more about it. We also got a lot of compliments on our shirts from various CMs.

So Anyway, we left off taking a little train ride. After that we headed over to Autopia. We had secured a Fastpass before boarding the train, so we got on pretty quickly. Now, there is a back-story to our Autopia ride. The day before the Rally we checked Regan’s height, and she was now tall enough to drive all alone. We took a couple of test drives with me in the car, and then she made her first Autopia “solo” on Friday evening. This picture is of her driving past the Autopia question:

Nope, no license plates here:

Well, since we had been on a ship, a train, and a car….we decided to take a little boat ride next. On the way to Junglel Cruise we came across a few MiceChatters waiting in line for a Dole Whip:

While in line for Jungle Cruise we saw more Rally teams:

Now these girls were pretty funny. They got into the loading-line on the left, while we got into the line on the right. I mentioned to them that I thought they were in the quicker line, and they just smiled. As we watched them sail off while we were still on the dock, they gave us an “extra special” wave goodbye:

We had so much fun on our exotic cruise that we decided to keep that theme going with a trip over to the Tiki Room. We ran into another team waiting not only for the show, but for a Dole Whip:

After the show we all worked together to try and count how many perches had more than one bird. It was actually a funny sight; 99% of the audience leaving, and the rest of us hanging around looking like crazy people counting fake birds:

Next up for us was Pirates of the Caribbean. We got lucky and spotted a couple more teams in line:

After Pirates, Matt and Regan took a little trip up Tarzan’s Tree House while I took some photos of the distractions at the bottom of the ride. As expected, our youngest member tried to climb ropes and play with things, but I hurried her out the exit:

We figured it was about time to start calling it a day since Regan was getting tired of walking around. We ended our Rally Day by answering the Main Street questions and, of course, ran in to other Rally teams who had similar ideas:

After hitting Main Street we headed over to the check-in point and turned in our packet. We wound up answering 27 total questions, which is a new high for our low-speed team. We had such a great time, and we will be back for our 5th Rally next year!

Thanks to everyone who has been following along and leaving us such great comments!

Fantastic TR
    Awesome!
    Did the Rally go to DCA this year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast