Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Does taking kids to Disneyland many times a month & Year spoil the magic?

Ok I am a child of the 70's, there were no AP's, Disneyland was a once every couple years excursion that was anticipated for many days and nights! Now days it seems like all the local children from the 60-70's take there kids to Disneyland Monthly,weekly and even DAILY! Now I do not know about you but I am sure that Disneyland is nothing super special to most of them since they were numbed by going over and over again at such a young age with such frequency. Now I may be wrong but my hunch is that when these kids grow up they will already be "over" Disneyland. What do you think? I think spoiling the kids with Disneyland every month, week or Day is a shame, I would think it is best to keep for special occasions and as a treat that should be worked towards. Now if I was a kid it would be my dream to go every day but I think it may have had a negative affect had it truly been the case.
    Maybe not! What do you think?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Does taking kids to Disneyland many times a month & Year spoil the magic?

If it's AP parents that force their kids to go, then I'd say yes (and heaven knows, I see so many unhappy kids walking around in 50th ears with lanyards, their parents walking eagerly to a pin trading station...).

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Definitely, I'd say it makes Disneyland seem as special as going to the dentists, especially, as pineapplewhipaddict said, if they are forced there by their AP parents who are attempting to share the magic but are unknowingly destroying it.

• Closed Account

my aunt, a single mom, is one of those people who go to the park all the time. It is not that she is a disney nerd, but just goes every other week with her now 4 year old daughter. The daughter just thinks of disneyland as a play ground. With all the money my aunt is spending, she could be going to a mommie and me class, or gymboree, she could be a brownie, or some other activity. But no, just disneyland.

• a pirate's life for me...

For me, if I were to go to Disneyland like, rarely, I would feel that I'd have to cram everything in in one day! You know, like hit every attraction which is cool, but makes for a very tiring, somewhat rushed day... especially if it's crowded and hot and you're tired.

On the other hand, when I have the option to go often, I can take my time and really take everything in, just hang out. But then for me, it's more of a hangout spot with my friends... but I like it this way.

So depending on if you want it to be treated as your second home, like me, or more of a special occasion sort of place... think about that.

everybody has a laughin' place...

• Wonderful World

I think eventually it will spoil it.I wouldnt mind going a weekend a month but any more then that u would prolly get bored really fast
    I'm back MiceChat

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Does giving you kid Teuscher choclate 3 times a day burn out the sensation...yes.

• Minion

If I had kids, it would definitely be a once a year deal. There's more to life than Disneyland, and I think young children deserve a chance to see that.

• ...TWO BITS!

I would go every other month or so. As Alfred Hitchcock would put it: "The suspense has more tension than the shock itself". Or from Willy Wonka: "The suspense is killing me, I hope it will last". I hope you understood that. But I think every other month is fine because 1) You know you go often and can take your time and 2) You won't get as board easily. So that was kind of combining a couple posts above mine. But that's what I would say. Going very frequently will run you down. BTW, I only go to the parks maybe on average 3 or 4 times per year.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 01-21-2006 at 01:39 AM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Growing up for me, it was a big deal when someone we knew went to Disneyland or Walt Disney World, of course I grew up in Minnesota, so there wasn't the ability to go any time we wanted. Now that I live 10 miles from Disneyland, I'm not sure whether or not it should be reserved for special occasions for children. Sunnygirl and I have gone to DL with the Jr. Miss close to 50 times this year. I would guess that Disneyland isn't going to be as special to her when she gets older as it is to me, since she's been able to go as often as she has. Does this make her experience at the park any less special, I don't think so, but it just isn't as rare of an experience for her.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

50 times this year? wow awww, i guess you mean the past 12 months, and not the past 20 days

• Queen of Randomness

I'm glad in my younger years that I didn't go often. It made it more special but of course I wasn't as Disneyland crazed then as I am now. Eventually I want an AP because I'm planning on moving closer in a few years. I look at the park differently then I did when I was younger. I'm more into the atmosphere and sitting and taking it in and listening to the performers than just going on rides. I appreticate the ability to go more often because it hasn't always been that way.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

If you are really going an average of once or twice per week, I'm thinking it might become commonplace for them to be there. We are an AP family, but one of my goals has been to take my kids one at a time and let that be THEIR day where THEY pick the rides. I may be on Star Tours or Thunder 20 times in a row, but they day is special to them because it's one on one time with dad, and they get to decide what to do with their day. Just a thought...

• Disneyland Fanatic

I live in Northern CA, so not that far away.

I had never been to DL until fall 2000 with my 2yr old DD (I was a single mom and the trip was a gift from my sweet boss)

Since then, we've gone once a year (5 times) and of course the place is super special and magical to us. I've gotten married since and have 2 stepdaughters and our 1st "family" vacation was to DL of course.

My DD is 7 and has all her autograph books from each trip and loves to look at pictures and plan the next trip (I wonder if we'll see ::insert character:: this time, mom?)

Having said that, we are going in Feb and plan to get APs. We have been buying 5 day hoppers so for a little extra $ we will now have the chance to go more than once a year.

I'm dying to experience the Holidays there as well as my DD's birthday in August. So I plan to go 2-3 times a year. I think it will definitely keep it special for my DD.

But I agree....WEEKLY trips to the park? The magic would wear off soon (especially for the younger ones)

• For old time sake

I think I appreciate the park so because there wasnt the luxury growing up to go all the time. So I think it loses a bit of something and that some parents might find it to be beneficial to not go daily!!!!! I am with Soulq. I think parents should show their kids all there is to do out there in the world rather than going to Disneyland all the time!!!!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast