Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• See Ya Real Soon!

Re: Disneyland's Coffee

I am not a fan of Starbucks brewed coffees but LOVE that I can get a Frappuccino on a hot day or a Chai Latte when it starts getting chilli.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    LOL. I wouldn't even know what that is. I was thinking in terms of coffee like Yuban, Folgers, Maxwell House or Hills Brothers. You know, stuff we grew up on and just drank black without whipped creme and chocolate sprinkles... and liked it.
    A macchiatto is an espresso beverage that existed long before Starbucks did. In fact, Starbucks' version isn't a true macchiato, but that's beside the point: just because the average Starbucks consumer doesn't drink their coffee black doesn't mean that the average black coffee-drinker can't enjoy Starbucks.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I grew up with those domestic brands, and therefore never learned to like coffee. It tasted terrible. Brackish, dirty, oily, medicinal...
    The key to good coffee is a clean coffee maker. Since coffee is very oily, it causes sediments and other bitter tastes to attach to the coffeemaker unless you clean it with a solution. The best coffee shops and diners don't sell gourmet coffee, but it is usually good if the coffee service they use is maintaining the equipment.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    The key to good coffee is a clean coffee maker. Since coffee is very oily, it causes sediments and other bitter tastes to attach to the coffeemaker unless you clean it with a solution. The best coffee shops and diners don't sell gourmet coffee, but it is usually good if the coffee service they use is maintaining the equipment.
    I grew up with those at home. With a meticulously cleaned maker. At least what passed for a coffee maker in the 50's and 60's... It was the coffee.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

The key to good coffee is filtered water.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I am not a coffee expert by any means, but my partner is a barista at one of Pasadena's leading coffee houses (a non-Starbucks artisan shop) and is also certified by the Barista Guild of America. So the little bit that I know I learned from him.

A good cup of coffee comes from a variety of factors which must be present at all times. This list isn't conclusive as I am sure I'm leaving out a few things but basically you need:

1) A clean coffee maker - not just to make a good cup but also to eliminate the growth of bacteria and to keep the maker from deteriorating.

2) Filtered water - very important. And it's not just filtration it's also the PH level you need to pay attention to. Here's a tip - if you go to Starbucks ask for a cup of their water. You will probably experience the best tasting water you've ever had.

3) Origin - where the coffee is grown influences how it tastes. My partner brews beans from Guatemala which tend to have a nutty to honey profile. If he pulls a good shot he can get it to taste like there's sugar in it without having to add anything. Ethiopian coffee has a blueberry profile. My partner feels that Kona coffee is overrated but he's the expert - not me!

4) roast - depending on how the coffee bean is roasted determines its flavor. Starbucks tends to over-roast their coffee, which is a large factor into why a lot of people do not like the taste. Coffee should be roasted slowly in smallish quantities, and the large quantity of coffee roasted by Starbucks requires that their coffee be over-roasted in large batches which negatively effects the taste.

5) grind size - after the coffee is roasted it gets ground, and the size of the grind effects the taste. A finer grind allows more water to flow through at a faster rate than a large grind size. This rate effects the flavor profile. As I mentioned before my partner can manipulate the taste of the coffee by varying the rate at which the coffee comes out of the machine.

6) amount of time that the shot is pulled. For espresso based drinks there is a specific amount of time to allow for the espresso to be drawn from the maker. I want to say 18 seconds - I can never remember. But that rate varies depending on origin and roast and on what flavor profiles you want to bring out.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    Didn't Joffrey's replace Nescafe at DLR a long time ago? Joffrey's ain't all that bad...
    Don't know about DLR, but at Epcot, there are several coffee stands that sell Joffrey's. I love their iced vanilla latte. Their headquarters is in Tampa, FL. I live in the Tampa area, so I've been to their own coffee shops around the Bay area. Very good coffee there.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I am not a coffee expert by any means, but my partner is a barista at one of Pasadena's leading coffee houses (a non-Starbucks artisan shop) and is also certified by the Barista Guild of America. So the little bit that I know I learned from him.

A good cup of coffee comes from a variety of factors which must be present at all times. This list isn't conclusive as I am sure I'm leaving out a few things but basically you need:

1) A clean coffee maker - not just to make a good cup but also to eliminate the growth of bacteria and to keep the maker from deteriorating.

2) Filtered water - very important. And it's not just filtration it's also the PH level you need to pay attention to. Here's a tip - if you go to Starbucks ask for a cup of their water. You will probably experience the best tasting water you've ever had.

3) Origin - where the coffee is grown influences how it tastes. My partner brews beans from Guatemala which tend to have a nutty to honey profile. If he pulls a good shot he can get it to taste like there's sugar in it without having to add anything. Ethiopian coffee has a blueberry profile. My partner feels that Kona coffee is overrated but he's the expert - not me!

4) roast - depending on how the coffee bean is roasted determines its flavor. Starbucks tends to over-roast their coffee, which is a large factor into why a lot of people do not like the taste. Coffee should be roasted slowly in smallish quantities, and the large quantity of coffee roasted by Starbucks requires that their coffee be over-roasted in large batches which negatively effects the taste.

5) grind size - after the coffee is roasted it gets ground, and the size of the grind effects the taste. A finer grind allows more water to flow through at a faster rate than a large grind size. This rate effects the flavor profile. As I mentioned before my partner can manipulate the taste of the coffee by varying the rate at which the coffee comes out of the machine.

6) amount of time that the shot is pulled. For espresso based drinks there is a specific amount of time to allow for the espresso to be drawn from the maker. I want to say 18 seconds - I can never remember. But that rate varies depending on origin and roast and on what flavor profiles you want to bring out.
    Yes! This is spot on information. Only thing I would add is that high-quality Arabica beans (which Starbucks only uses) also play a factor in good coffee; Robusta are cheaper, low-quality beans that have shallow, bitter flavors (avoid anything not 100% Arabica). Starbucks may not be the best coffee out there, but it does take most all these essentials into consideration for their beans and believe me, the huge success of the company isn't guided by just blind faith in the consumer.

Now, I have worked for Starbucks for the past five years of me being in college and am a Coffee Master with the company. The company considers these four fundamentals the biggest players in a good cup of coffee: proportion(water to coffee), grind, water, and freshness. I am a plain, black coffee drinker (sometimes add a splash of whole milk). In spite of this, Starbucks is not my favorite and if it weren't for my discount and markout perks, I would most likely choose not to "consume" here as often as I do now. While many tend to think Starbucks over roast their beans (to my palette and preferences, I would agree with that for most our darker roast), it is still light years better in quality and taste than the previous options at the resort and much more aligned to the general taste palettes. I make a point now to go to DCA when I need coffee, even if I am in DL. It will be so nice to have a quality cup in DL now.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Frankly I think for the most part great coffee comes from the type of water used. The absolutely best coffee I ever had was in a friends home in the Isle de France. It was from a standard Mr Coffee drip coffee maker and was made from a can of already ground coffee. It was so smooth, without the bitterness all American coffee seems to have and easy to drink several cups every morning without a thing in it. I have yet to run into coffee that good here, although I have come close a couple of times at independent coffee spots.We have Starbucks coffee at work and I have had it from them directly and their standard cup of joe tastes no better then that the various brands that Disney has served over the years. For me the sadness is losing the free refills at the market house since the new coffee will be no better than the old, except now the inflated price is only for one cup.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'm a bit of a coffee snob and have had both good and bad coffee from Starbucks. I've also had pretty delightful coffee in Seattle, remarkable coffee in Italy and so so (gritty) coffee in Greece. I make my own coffee at home using the pour over drip method since I live alone and using Trader Joes coffee most of the time. Trader Joes coffees are highly under-rated, that's all I can say. I buy my coffee whole bean and only grind as needed. In my opinion, that makes a world of difference. I also use only filtered or purified water. I haven't yet discovered if using organically grown beans, vs. not makes a taste difference. No matter how lovely and good the coffee is, I cannot drink it black, however I only sweeten it slightly with honey and take out the kick with a splash of creamer. Wow talking about coffee is fun!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    Didn't Joffrey's replace Nescafe at DLR a long time ago? Joffrey's ain't all that bad...
    It was announced a long time ago (early this year, February or March, I think), but I think it's just being rolled out. I had a cup of coffee from Flo's about a month ago, and it was pretty bad, taste like Nescafe to me. But my last trip about a week ago, I saw the Joffrey's label on the coffee dispenser in Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta. If I hadn't just ran in there to grab an iced tea before I dropped from the heat, I would have given the coffee a try. Next trip...

• Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by Flealick View Post
    It was announced a long time ago (early this year, February or March, I think), but I think it's just being rolled out. I had a cup of coffee from Flo's about a month ago, and it was pretty bad, taste like Nescafe to me. But my last trip about a week ago, I saw the Joffrey's label on the coffee dispenser in Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta. If I hadn't just ran in there to grab an iced tea before I dropped from the heat, I would have given the coffee a try. Next trip...
    I worked at DLR for a year from 2009-2010, and all of the food locations on Main Street began serving Joffrey's at some point...I forget exactly when. Even the cappuccino cart by the castle served Joffrey's.

Not sure if they still do, but Joffrey's has definitely been floating around the park for a while - at least, that's what I thought!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345