Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Lightbulb Disney builds things TOO SLOW?

Lately I have been hearing alot of complaints that Disney 'take forever' to build attractions while Universal seems to pump them out in much less time. Here is my take on that, when it comes to attractions where my life is literally on the line if things don't go right, I WELCOME the fact that Disney takes their time. I personally do not find comfort in the idea that Universal rushes through construction projects to get them done faster. That is not something that I personally feel is a 'good thing'.

So Disney, continue to take your time. I'd rather things be done RIGHT and done with care than be rushed through to open earlier.

Your thoughts?

• Minion

Re: Disney builds things TOO SLOW?

Completely agree, Disney wants new attractions to open too, they're not ever going to purposely go slow.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

There is nothing unsafe or without care about Universal's pace, nor does Disney take more time due to an overly meticulous culture. Disney chooses to spend more time building because it is cheaper that way and has less of an impact on each quarter's financial statements.

• Minion

Universal gets things done and they're still of great quality and in great shape.

There's no reason why the Dwarf Mine Train in Florida is taking this long to be built. It's sad, really. Disney seems to build things fairly quickly in California. PFF didn't take that long and Cars Land was built in a decent amount of time, in my opinion. Disney is a little more slow in Florida, for some reason.

Power to Universal for being able to get great, quality projects done quickly.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Just this guy......

I'm going to have to disagree with the this thread.

First Disney puts in more details into there attractions and that just adds more time to the construction cost. By putting a mountain around the Dwarf Mine Train in Florida they have to build both a coaster and a mountain. If a 6 flags park were trying to do the same thing it would take the same amount of time.

The second reason I think that it seems slower is the amount of media, both daily and weekly post that the Disney Construction gets here on other website. It creates the illusion that things are going slower than they are.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    There is nothing unsafe or without care about Universal's pace, nor does Disney take more time due to an overly meticulous culture. Disney chooses to spend more time building because it is cheaper that way and has less of an impact on each quarter's financial statements.
    Exactly right. Another contributing factor is Disney's topheavy and internally politicized management culture, in which multiple VPs get to have their own, often mutually contradictory, input on every stage of a project. Waiting for signoffs from execs whose main concern is their own pet turf, and dealing with the resulting re-work, adds large amounts of time and money to projects at the Mouse.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

One thing to keep in mind is the amount of laws here in California will always slow things up. As far as the mine coaster goes I am assuming it was part of a different phase to build it anyways. They didn't want to take out all of FL to expand it so they opened up the first part then started the next part. When it comes to projects like this the money is already budgeted at the beggining of it because corporations have to account for that money during the duration of the project. I am currently on a project that is slated for three years at my company. It wasn't set up that way for money reasons it just takes that long to do it and I am not building a attraction or a product that can hurt customers. or to the level of detail Disney puts into their products.

I am glad they take their time but I do think it's an illusion that Universal magically builds things way faster. Transformers took what two years and it is basically the same technology as Spider Man and now they are cloning it and that should be easy to re-make which is why the Orlando one will take a year to build i'm guessing. Also WWoHP took a long time to build. Thy had been working on it before they annouced it. How long have they been working on the WWoHP for universal Hollywood? The project has been open already even with the hurdles with the cty they had to go through. A lot goes into these types or projects I am not ready to just point at Disney and say how can they be so Cheap. Especially after the delievered multiple attractrions in DCA over the course of 5 years. It was around 1 new attraction per year and all that while maintaining Disneyland. I think they do a awesome job.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    There's no reason why the Dwarf Mine Train in Florida is taking this long to be built. It's sad, really. Disney seems to build things fairly quickly in California. PFF didn't take that long and Cars Land was built in a decent amount of time, in my opinion. Disney is a little more slow in Florida, for some reason.
    I'm confused, is there a reason for it?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Thy had been working on it before they annouced it. How long have they been working on the WWoHP for universal Hollywood? The project has been open already even with the hurdles with the cty they had to go through..
    What?

• Minion

One thing to keep in mind is the amount of laws here in California will always slow things up. As far as the mine coaster goes I am assuming it was part of a different phase to build it anyways. They didn't want to take out all of FL to expand it so they opened up the first part then started the next part. When it comes to projects like this the money is already budgeted at the beggining of it because corporations have to account for that money during the duration of the project. I am currently on a project that is slated for three years at my company. It wasn't set up that way for money reasons it just takes that long to do it and I am not building a attraction or a product that can hurt customers. or to the level of detail Disney puts into their products.

I am glad they take their time but I do think it's an illusion that Universal magically builds things way faster. Transformers took what two years and it is basically the same technology as Spider Man and now they are cloning it and that should be easy to re-make which is why the Orlando one will take a year to build i'm guessing. Also WWoHP took a long time to build. Thy had been working on it before they annouced it. How long have they been working on the WWoHP for universal Hollywood? The project has been open already even with the hurdles with the cty they had to go through. A lot goes into these types or projects I am not ready to just point at Disney and say how can they be so Cheap. Especially after the delievered multiple attractrions in DCA over the course of 5 years. It was around 1 new attraction per year and all that while maintaining Disneyland. I think they do a awesome job.
    Really no construction has been done for HP at USH with the exception of utility work in the backstage areas surrounding the project area. USH has been biding it's time and doing what it can while the red tape known as the Evolution Plan was being sorted out. Even now that the plan has been approved by the powers that be, work won't begin until after the Gibson closes in September (when the contract with Gibson terminates).

• враг народа

Blog Entries

One thing to keep in mind is the amount of laws here in California will always slow things up.
    Disney's slow building is far more evident in Florida where Disney essentially controls their own destiny. Disney, mostly owing to the Reedy Creek Improvement District, used to be the king of speed in Central Florida.

Universal Orlando Resort announced today that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley will open in 2014. Jaw: The Ride closed on January 2, 2012. That's a time frame comparable to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, widely said to be about a D-Ticket and definitely not a whole land plus two groundbreaking E-Ticket attractions.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I'm confused, is there a reason for it?
    I wasn't specific to the Dwarf Mine Train when I said "for some reason."

• Team Hail HYDRA

I know one reason Universal gets things done so fast is they do a LOT of subcontracting. Universal has only a few key people that stay at the company. Others are hired as needed. Universal basically gives the concept and ideas to the subcontractors and they ran and built with it.

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• -

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I wasn't specific to the Dwarf Mine Train when I said "for some reason."
    So then, speaking specifically to the mine ride, you really think there is no reason why it is taking this long? Disney is just delaying it for the sake of delaying it?

I bet there is some reason why they are taking as long to build it as they are. Some rides take longer to build than others. The Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland closed in 1977 and Thunder Mountain didn't open until 2 years later. It all depends on the level of detail given.

If you look at the Transformers ride at Universal, while it is an elaborate ride, inside the outside is a very unassuming building. The new dwarf coaster that they are building has to be detailed both inside and out.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    So then, speaking specifically to the mine ride, you really think there is no reason why it is taking this long? Disney is just delaying it for the sake of delaying it?

I bet there is some reason why they are taking as long to build it as they are. Some rides take longer to build than others. The Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland closed in 1977 and Thunder Mountain didn't open until 2 years later. It all depends on the level of detail given.

If you look at the Transformers ride at Universal, while it is an elaborate ride, inside the outside is a very unassuming building. The new dwarf coaster that they are building has to be detailed both inside and out.
    Honestly, I don't think it's because of details and I don't think it should be taking two or two and a half years to build the Mine Train. That's me. How long did it take for Disney to build RSR?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast