Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Journey to the Valley of the Bats - Soothseyer's Bats Day Trip Report

I'm glad you were able to enjoy your solo day. I go solo a lot, and I've found it's at least as much fun as going with friends. I take a zillion pictures when I go, unless I have friends with me. My photo stops can be annoying to someone who isn't taking pictures, so yeah. I do solo trips.

Thanks for the pictures!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Nice shots all around. I'm glad that you you were able to make it great day, and with princesses none the less.

Truth be told I have never meet them (princesses) without my daughter in tow. May have to try it...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's nice to see the Disney princesses are friendly to the adult male solo visitors who pass multiple times through Fantasy Fair. It would never have occurred to me to visit without children.

I found myself at Disneyland on Bats Day once, by coincidence. And we ended up meeting and chatting with various Goth types in line at various attractions, I didn't think they were judging others, far from it. It seemed like they were very open to anyone who would talk to them despite the dark look of their clothes / makeup etc. Maybe it's just an intra-Goth rivalry thing you picked up on. Seems like Bats Day would be a great time and place to make some friends for future visits with your pass.

•   
    • Minion

Awesome pictures thanks for showing them to us!!!!

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I was looking at previous year photos from their one page and to me, it looks like there are more Cyberpunk than Goths who attend. But, whatever.
    Cyberpunk seems to be the "thing" that's in...lol but I mean, I do think it's neat. I just don't really think it's for me. I like dark, gritty, ambient...not ravey, bumpy bump techno-electro. Lol I'm picky!

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Oh my GARSH! Goth attire + Princess photos just made my night!!! I absolutely love you for doing that! So freaking awesome and the exact thing I picture when I think Bats Day at Disneyland. Thank you for sharing!
    < ^_^ > < ^_^ < > ^_^ > That's my happy dance. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    What Kelly said!
    wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I was a little concerned at first but then I realized "Why not? I'm a noncomformist, after all..."

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I'm glad you were able to enjoy your solo day. I go solo a lot, and I've found it's at least as much fun as going with friends. I take a zillion pictures when I go, unless I have friends with me. My photo stops can be annoying to someone who isn't taking pictures, so yeah. I do solo trips.

Thanks for the pictures!
    You're welcome!

My only gripe is when your friends say "I have to pee, can we stop here?" or "I don't want to eat there..." and then it turns into a long, boring debate on who gets to eat what and it goes on and on and on...but I find that it's fun to go solo when you just need a dose of Disney magic. Hoping to do it again real soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Nice shots all around. I'm glad that you you were able to make it great day, and with princesses none the less.

Truth be told I have never meet them (princesses) without my daughter in tow. May have to try it...
    One tip: Always kneel before approaching. They absolutely admire that Oh, and polite, confident etiquette is appreciated. After all, I am a dark prince...or so I wish.

watch out, Ozzy...hehehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It's nice to see the Disney princesses are friendly to the adult male solo visitors who pass multiple times through Fantasy Fair. It would never have occurred to me to visit without children.

I found myself at Disneyland on Bats Day once, by coincidence. And we ended up meeting and chatting with various Goth types in line at various attractions, I didn't think they were judging others, far from it. It seemed like they were very open to anyone who would talk to them despite the dark look of their clothes / makeup etc. Maybe it's just an intra-Goth rivalry thing you picked up on. Seems like Bats Day would be a great time and place to make some friends for future visits with your pass.
    It was a little intimidating as I haven't really done it before...but I feel it takes a lot of understanding and acceptance to do the royal duty of greeting all guests, young and old, male and female. I have respect for the princesses who who treat the solo male guests with such compassion and care. Cinderella really made my day special by striking up such a wonderful conversation at the end. I just hope Prince Charming didn't find out! LOL

Yeah, I have a weird ability (no joke) to intercept certain vibes and energies. Although I've never really fit in to the subculture, I've admire the ideals it was founded on and I don't think fashion defines it as some will say...it's hard to say. I only got that weird feeling from some of the other Bats Day attendees but I got some props from a small group in the morning (really good peeps they were).

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Awesome pictures thanks for showing them to us!!!!
    You're welcome! I was worried it was going to get too photo heavy for everyone but...I wanted to share the magic. Lol

•   
    • Minion

I think I saw you at the park - I would have said hello if I knew! Thank you for this trip report!

IMHO it is like anything; some people are nice, some aren't. I'm Goth Lite, myself, and I did occasionally feel a bit, well, snubbed and sneered at. The people who do that sort of thing are the ones that would still snub and judge even if they were wearing preppy clothes, IMHO, so it's not a goth thing. If they weren't sneering at the people who don't have the latest Lip Service corset, in a different scenario they'd be sneering at the people who don't have the latest LV bag or the nicest car.

And that group that judges is a minority! I saw a lot, LOT more fun, friendly people. I wasn't interested in making friends and I'm shy around new people anyway but at the Castle meetup photo op I had a great time joking with those around me. And some of them were dressed to the nines; some were not. I was sitting down for the photo and when I tried to get up afterward, my knee (which is injured) locked up on me. The guy next to me automatically extended his hand and helped me up.

People who aren't goths who are judging the Bats at the park? I'm sure they are out there. I don't pay them any mind. I figure that someone who has to be that judgmental must not feel very good about themselves. I've had people make nasty remarks about my tattoos and clothes in the past - not at Disneyland but elsewhere. *shrug* I dress for me, not them, and it's their issue, not mine, if they feel the need to cut others down.

When I talk to other (non-goth) people on Bats Day I always try to be even more super-friendly than usual. I figure I might be the ambassador for the community at that moment because I might be the only goth person they speak to all day long. I want them to understand that goths aren't scary, rude or unfriendly, and that the ones at the park that day are Disney fans just like anyone else.
    Last edited by Malina; 05-09-2013 at 11:23 PM.

• Selfie Expert

I ran into judgmental people at Dapper Day earlier this year, though it was from people who were not dressed up and were probably wondering why I was dressed so "strange". For the most part, though, I was very well received, and LOVED hearing "HAPPY DAPPER DAY!!" from strangers. I'm dying for an excuse to dress up at the parks again, whether it be goth, star wars, dapper, or crayon... I'm all for it.

And a TR can never be too photo heavy in my opinion!!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Ewok

I know the feeling of being judged while its never been at Disneyland my husband is in the military and we live on base so when I step outside in my concert tshirts or my band tshirts I get really nasty looks especially if im wearing my Judas priest tshirts. My husband gets even nastier looks he's in his civilian clothes because he wears a trench coat. Im glad though that there's literally a day for everyone at Disneyland and im definetly planning my trip around bats day one year!

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by numberfour View Post
    I know the feeling of being judged while its never been at Disneyland my husband is in the military and we live on base so when I step outside in my concert tshirts or my band tshirts I get really nasty looks especially if im wearing my Judas priest tshirts. My husband gets even nastier looks he's in his civilian clothes because he wears a trench coat. Im glad though that there's literally a day for everyone at Disneyland and im definetly planning my trip around bats day one year!
    Hah! I know that feeling. My hubby is a Chief in the Navy and when we attend the multitude of military balls and functions.. and I show up with multicolored hair ro semi-gothed up... OMG. And trust me, I try to never be offensive. The daggers I get from some of those wives. Get over yourself. I usually feel bad for them, I mean, not everyone is comfortable enough with themselves to dress like they want. *shrugs*
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

•   
    • Banned User

Sorry about the drama but that's just a normal Bat's Day by my experience. Glad you could rise above it. Cool pics, too. The darker sky couldn't have made for a better backdrop for a Bat's Day trip; it's actually quite refreshing to see something other than blue sky for once.

Quote Originally Posted by soothseyer View Post
    After wandering through the park, I did hop on the Matterhorn (which eventually wrecked my apartment keys a little)
    Ha, chalk up another victim of the new Matterhorn. I'm right there with ya. I've never damaged or lost a cellphone in my life but on my last trip I ended up with a crushed cellphone from how it flung me around. I'm assuming something similar happened to you? Bent the keys or something? Weird. I'm just happy they didn't go INTO you.

Seriously, an HOUR wait to see the Iron Man stuff? Damn.

Name:  1453772.png
Views: 46
Size:  12.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I think I saw you at the park - I would have said hello if I knew! Thank you for this trip report!

IMHO it is like anything; some people are nice, some aren't. I'm Goth Lite, myself, and I did occasionally feel a bit, well, snubbed and sneered at. The people who do that sort of thing are the ones that would still snub and judge even if they were wearing preppy clothes, IMHO, so it's not a goth thing. If they weren't sneering at the people who don't have the latest Lip Service corset, in a different scenario they'd be sneering at the people who don't have the latest LV bag or the nicest car.

And that group that judges is a minority! I saw a lot, LOT more fun, friendly people. I wasn't interested in making friends and I'm shy around new people anyway but at the Castle meetup photo op I had a great time joking with those around me. And some of them were dressed to the nines; some were not. I was sitting down for the photo and when I tried to get up afterward, my knee (which is injured) locked up on me. The guy next to me automatically extended his hand and helped me up.

People who aren't goths who are judging the Bats at the park? I'm sure they are out there. I don't pay them any mind. I figure that someone who has to be that judgmental must not feel very good about themselves. I've had people make nasty remarks about my tattoos and clothes in the past - not at Disneyland but elsewhere. *shrug* I dress for me, not them, and it's their issue, not mine, if they feel the need to cut others down.

When I talk to other (non-goth) people on Bats Day I always try to be even more super-friendly than usual. I figure I might be the ambassador for the community at that moment because I might be the only goth person they speak to all day long. I want them to understand that goths aren't scary, rude or unfriendly, and that the ones at the park that day are Disney fans just like anyone else.
    If I had a gold star and the interwebs allowed such abilities as giving it to you directly, I would.

I completely agree with you though, Malina...it was just a small minority but I always get that when I go to "goth" or "industrial" (Is Industrial even really worth of that title now? Just my opinion...oops, off topic!), I still get those haters hating because someone is confident enough to be themselves, rock out and enjoy it without the accessories.

I dress for me too ^_^ I honestly thought of showing up like a 80's/90's crossover rock star just because...I don't know. It seems like a fun idea to execute.

There are definitely some good, warm hearted people though in the subculture. Just got to weed through and find them. Those are the keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I ran into judgmental people at Dapper Day earlier this year, though it was from people who were not dressed up and were probably wondering why I was dressed so "strange". For the most part, though, I was very well received, and LOVED hearing "HAPPY DAPPER DAY!!" from strangers. I'm dying for an excuse to dress up at the parks again, whether it be goth, star wars, dapper, or crayon... I'm all for it.

And a TR can never be too photo heavy in my opinion!!
    Dressing up is fun...but I can't get dressed up for Dapper Day or anything that requires me to wear formal attire because I'm too stubborn. Hehe but it would be nice to do a crossover of goth/dapper...or rock/dapper...who knows.

^_^

Quote Originally Posted by numberfour View Post
    I salute your husband. It's not easy to be a member of the armed services, but I have had family serve years ago and I respect anyone who does this job.

Concert and Band shirts are awesome though I need more though -_- some don't fit or are falling apart...

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Hah! I know that feeling. My hubby is a Chief in the Navy and when we attend the multitude of military balls and functions.. and I show up with multicolored hair ro semi-gothed up... OMG. And trust me, I try to never be offensive. The daggers I get from some of those wives. Get over yourself. I usually feel bad for them, I mean, not everyone is comfortable enough with themselves to dress like they want. *shrugs*
    Indeed. Why must we be judged by our looks and not by our merit? I actually got a rather anti-social (lol) haircut recently from a friend who owns her own vintage/rock shop. I got tired of the old look and wanted something new and fresh so she shaved half the side of my head (as seen) and well, I've kept it that way even in the office. No one's said anything yet (although my mom didn't like it but my dad loved it...and I was expecting the total opposite).

I can cover it up for job interviews but I have a lot of confidence and strength to stand up and say "Would you rather judge me by my looks or on my merit and creativity?" if they do find out I have a rather "different" haircut (I'm a graphic/web designer but...it's such a competitive field. UGH! I will prevail!)

I say we be ourselves and be proud of it because haters are gonna hate one way or another

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Sorry about the drama but that's just a normal Bat's Day by my experience. Glad you could rise above it. Cool pics, too. The darker sky couldn't have made for a better backdrop for a Bat's Day trip; it's actually quite refreshing to see something other than blue sky for once.

Ha, chalk up another victim of the new Matterhorn. I'm right there with ya. I've never damaged or lost a cellphone in my life but on my last trip I ended up with a crushed cellphone from how it flung me around. I'm assuming something similar happened to you? Bent the keys or something? Weird. I'm just happy they didn't go INTO you.

Seriously, an HOUR wait to see the Iron Man stuff? Damn.

Name:  1453772.png
Views: 46
Size:  12.9 KB
    I had them hanging on the side (bad idea...lol) but they were cheap keys since our complex is...well...terribly kept up now (wasn't like that the first year I lived there). My car keys were fine and so were the house keys to my parents (and those are duplicates which didn't even take a hit!)...oh well!

Smashed phone?! Yikes! I dropped my phone last year (right around the first year of the warranty...so thankful for AppleCare +) like an idiot trying to see something and had to rush it to the Apple Store. Luckily, I just paid $49 and had a new one within a few minutes...but I reinvested in an Otterbox until I had to replace it again (the Otterbox Defender rubber was ripping apart after a few months). Got the Commuter (2 Layer) and so far, my phone has held up!

Yeah, the Iron Man experience was actually an XBOX Kinect demo for 3 minutes but there are only 2 Kinect stations open (and then they let people into the back of the "Hall of Armor" in small numbers). So, it was just "I'll try it again next time" thing. I could see day trippers and out of towners trying to get in before they leave, but as a passholder, I'd rather let someone who doesn't have the ability to return as often to experience it over me...I'm just generous and caring.

Oh, and I seriously dig that Keep Calm Poster

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by soothseyer View Post
    Dressing up is fun...but I can't get dressed up for Dapper Day or anything that requires me to wear formal attire because I'm too stubborn. Hehe but it would be nice to do a crossover of goth/dapper...or rock/dapper...who knows.

^_^
    I'm picturing a top hat and black trench... Could be awesome!!

• Evil is Sexy

He could even goth/steampunk it up a bit. Top hat, black trench, cane, monocle... oooooo... very Jekyll and Hyde all of a sudden. *goosebumps*
    Last edited by WildeNight; 05-10-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Jekyll has two "L's".
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Selfie Expert

That is EXACTLY what I was picturing!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast