1 day, 2 parks, 10 hours, 15 miles, and 35 attractions! A Gumball Rally 2013 TR

So I have been meaning to put this up but I have had finals all week and because I was gone all weekend I had to catch up on some study time But anyway here we go!

Last you my girlfriend Alex and I finally got to do our first gum ball rally. We had a BLAST! So obviously we had to come back this year. This year we brought a friend with us, Colleen and we possibly had one of the best days ever. We left home early (3:00 am) on friday morning and drove the seven or so hours from the bay area to the resort. We spent the entire first day just enjoying the parks and I didn't take any pics So we are just gonna skip right to the big day!.

Let me start by introducing our team. Last year Alex and I were the Wildest Riders in the Wilderness and we decided to continue that theme this year. When we learned the Star Wars theme I immediately thought of the The Wildest Riders Strike Back and so here is our logo!
    Name:  FinalBlack copy.png
Views: 764
Size:  114.4 KB
    We got up bright and early at 6:00 am on rally day and drove to Mickey & Friends and walked to ESPN zone. Check in was super quick thanks to the AMAZING micechat staff of volunteers and in no time we had our team picture taken and we eating our breakfast burritos waiting for the rules speech. Because Disneyland didn't open until 9:00 am the rules speech came much later than usual and all the teams we eagerly awaiting the start! Finally we were off. I love seeing the looks on the faces of everybody in downtown disney as 500 people come pouring out of the ESPN zone and start speeding towards the entrance. Well here we are in the first line of the day...Security tents.
    Name:  DSC02615.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  115.2 KB
    At the last min we altered our original strategy of starting in Fantasyland and went to DCA instead! When we got in we saw the longest line I have ever seen for RSR FP, it not only went through the extended queue for Disney Junior, but went all the way down to the animation building. It was even that bad when we came two weeks after opening! So we decided to pass on that, a huge risk, and went on TOT instead. Alex opted to sit out on this one...
    Name:  DSC02616.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  102.6 KB
    we got on pretty quickly and then were off to do heimlich's chew chew train. Now this was something we have never been on, which is one thing I love about doing the rally, but while the scents were fun this thing was so short and boring!
    Name:  DSC02617.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  136.7 KB
    We decided our goal was to leave DCA at 12:00 so we still had lots to do. We headed for Paradise Pier but on the way decided to just see how long single rider was for RSR since we were allowed to utilize this during the rally this year... we lucked out, it was only a 10 min wait! We waited less time than the FP distribution line would have taken.
    Name:  DSC02622.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  134.2 KBName:  DSC02621.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  127.9 KB
    Next we headed to Paradise Pier where we did Screamin and Goofy's single rider, we passed on the 40 min wait for TSMM and then waited just a few mins for TLM
    Name:  DSC02647.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  73.1 KB
    It was now around 10:30 and with the temps heating up we hit GRR, but the standby was already at 30 mins so we again opted for single rider. After getting off GRR, soaked as i might add, we headed to soarin' and chose to do single rider there. The SR wait was pretty long here so we were done just before noon. we decided to stay in DCA just a little longer to hit the rest of hollywoodland. We walked by the animation building where the question was to answer what movies clips play in the building after the little mermaid. As we walked by what do we hear coming from inside but "Part of your World". We got super excited because that loop last 20 mins and we got there right when we needed to. All we had to hear was "Bonjour" to know the answer and we ran out to Monster Inc.
    Name:  DSC02649.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  95.5 KBName:  DSC02650.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  84.5 KBName:  DSC02651.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  90.3 KB
    After MI we decided to be done with DCA, leaving behind only the muppets and TSMM. Pretty good for 3 hrs! I will continue with the rest of the day soon

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Re: 1 day, 2 parks, 10 hours, 15 miles, and 35 attractions! A Gumball Rally 2013 TR

YES ANOTHER RALLY REPORT! Wow, you guys did 35 attractions in 10 hours??? We did 35 attractions in 11 hours! Did you guys end up placing?

Anyways, thanks for sharing, can't wait to see the rest!

•   
    • Is it rally time yet?

Re: 1 day, 2 parks, 10 hours, 15 miles, and 35 attractions! A Gumball Rally 2013 TR

Thanks for sharing! I'm excited to see how the rest of your day went! I'm having so much fun reading the trip reports that are being posted and comparing the strategies/happenings of the day to what my team did.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    YES ANOTHER RALLY REPORT! Wow, you guys did 35 attractions in 10 hours??? We did 35 attractions in 11 hours! Did you guys end up placing?

Anyways, thanks for sharing, can't wait to see the rest!
    Ah I wish! When I say attractions I mean anything listed as up for a point I think we may have been super close to the top ten. Can't wait to see the full results! The whole finishing by 6:30 for 10 extra points was such a hard choice to make!

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by jsanch2 View Post
    Ah I wish! When I say attractions I mean anything listed as up for a point I think we may have been super close to the top ten. Can't wait to see the full results! The whole finishing by 6:30 for 10 extra points was such a hard choice to make!
    Haha, I meant the same too! That's amazing that you were able to squeeze in 35 attractions in 10 hours though. I applaud you and your team for being able to do that! And yes, you were right about being close to top 10! Your team placed 14th overall! Congratulations! That is really good!

Yeah that 10 extra point was tough. We actually decided to keep going cause we thought we would be able to get more than 10 points in 1.5 hours. We ended up earning 11 points! But unfortunately, we got caught up at the light on Harbor Blvd. for 2-3 minutes and were late by 3 minutes and lost 6 points D: Gah that darn light! Haha it's okay, we had fun and are already looking forward to next year!

• I Heart DL!

Great report so far! Everyone we got to talk to started in DL so it's nice to see a totally different perspective. You guys got a few more points than us so your strategy must have paid off! Can't wait to see the rest! Thanks for posting!

Great report! Thanks!

So I think I would have to give myself a BIG F for finishing my trip report. But like I said, when we got back from the rally it was finals week so I was crazy busy, but that is all over now!

So here we go with the continuation of our rally day!

So when we left off we had just park hopped over to Disneyland and If you guys checked out the results thread then you saw this beauty of us leaving DCA lol
    Name:  IMG_1938-610x406.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  76.3 KB

So now we are on Main Street and finished off the few quick points that were there.
    Name:  DSC02652.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  123.0 KB
    From there we headed to get fastpasses for Space Mountain, but when we arrived we found it down So we opted to get FPs for Star Tours instead. After that we got on Buzz!
    Name:  DSC02654.jpg
Size:  140.1 KB
    When we were finished with Buzz we still had a few hours until our FPs for ST were good so we headed to Fantasyland and did the Matterhorn, Snow White, and Pinnochio. After that we still had some time so we went to Adventureland to check out Indiana Jones and the CM at the entrance said that the single rider wait was only 15 mins! After Indy it was time to do ST which was a ton of fun because the CMs were really into May the 4th! After ST we quickly popped into Innoventions and did Autopia which only had a 10 min wait.
    Name:  DSC02658.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  127.6 KBName:  DSC02666.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  110.8 KBName:  DSC02667.jpg
Size:  136.7 KBName:  DSC02670.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  136.2 KBName:  DSC02671.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  82.9 KBName:  DSC02673.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  96.1 KBName:  DSC02676.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  100.3 KBName:  DSC02685.jpg
Size:  138.8 KBName:  DSC02686.jpg
Size:  131.2 KBName:  DSC02687.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  134.6 KB
    So while riding Autopia we learned taking pics while driving is the best idea... we accidentally rear ended the car in front of us lol. After Autopia we hopped on the train hoping to get off in NOS, but apparently the station was closed for refurb so we had to change plans and get off in toontown instead. Lucky for us the parade was about to begin so Small World had absolutely no line!
    Name:  DSC02689.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  65.4 KB
    Small World is clearly not Colleen's favorite and this face was caused when the family filling the rest of our boat began singing for the whole ride lol. After Small World the parade was going on outside and we quickly got in line for Mr Toad's. After Mr. Toad's the parade had just ended and they just recently reopened the line for the storybook cruise so we only had to wait for five mins for that. Now a little background before I share the pics from this one. My girlfriend Alex was terrified of Monstro when she was a little girl so this ride always brings back memories haha
    Name:  DSC02691.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  125.7 KBName:  DSC02692.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  81.0 KBName:  DSC02694.jpg
Size:  120.4 KBName:  DSC02695.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  117.2 KB
    So after our trip to Storybook land it was just before 5:00pm and we headed to the west side of the park since that was the only place we had not been yet. We decided to do Tom Sawyers Island first and as we got to the dock the very last boat for the day was getting ready to depart and luckily we made it.
    Name:  DSC02696.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  119.2 KB
    After TSI we went on Splash Mountain using single rider. Unfortunately my color blindness was a major FAIL on this one because the boa we were supposed to be looking for looked yellow to me under the black lights in the scene when apparently it was HOT PINK! Good thing I had my teammates lol. After splash we went on pooh and realized we had about 25 mins to get out of the park if we were gonna make it to the finish by 6:30 for the extra 10 points. We passed the mansion and saw that they line was super short so we chose to do that. While on the ride our journey was interrupted by pranky spirits and we stopped for about 5 mins. When we got off we had about 10 mins left to leave and decided to quickly do Tarzan's Treehouse to grab one last point but unfortunately it was closed. As it turns out this one point would have put us somewhere between 7th and 9th place in the rally But oh well we still had a BLAST and as so proud of our 14th place finish! We moved up like 10 places from last year and even scored the same amount as a top 10 team
    Name:  DSC02697.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  81.6 KBName:  DSC02698.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  153.5 KBName:  DSC02699.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  122.5 KB
    Here we are exhausted but happy eating our delicious pizza and beer from the finish line Pizza Press. If you guys haven't checked this place out its great! The food is cheap, only $10 for a custom pizza! and the staff is super nice! Highly recommend! So at the beginning of the day I downloaded one of the GPS walk tracking apps to track our day and when I pulled out my phone, it had died from the constant drain of GPS but here is a map of our day up until about 5 when the battery died!
    Name:  IMG_0607.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  103.0 KB
    I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone at Micechat who helps put on this even every year, I know it takes a ton of time to put together something so great! I also want to thank all the people who come out to volunteer! We had an amazing time and cannot wait until Gumball Rally 2014!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Our team, Team Refurb did 31 attraction in 10 hours we would have got maybe one more if did not have to wait for splash. We placed 29th. Congrats!
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Did you guys do splash standby or single rider?

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Great trip report! Again Congratulations on placing 14th! Just curious, does your phone tell you about how many miles you guys walked? With all the craziness of the Gumball Rally, I always wondered how many miles we possibly walked around the Parks lol.

Yeah. We did just under 15 miles and over 30,000 steps

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by jsanch2 View Post
    Yeah. We did just under 15 miles and over 30,000 steps
    WOW ALMOST 15 MILES?!? So since your phone died around 5PM, that's 1.8 miles per hour. If a team decided to do the full 11 hours, they could've walked about... 20 miles?!? That is insane! No wonder our feet feel terrible at the end of the Gumball Rally! Jeez, sign me up for a half marathon!

EDIT:
    Oops, I totally just realized you said 15 miles in the title. Sorry, should've paid more attention D:

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

What a great report! Love to read these every year!

Thanks!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• New Member Goes Forth

A fantastic trip report, thank you for sharing
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).