Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Cast Members Behaving Greatly - The Nice Things They Have Done

I have notices a few posts commenting on some of the unfortunate things cast members have done. Well I thought it would be good to hear about the nice things they have done for guests at the park. Danielle from Tales of A Disneyland Cast Member has commented on her site about what she has done to make a guest's day better and brighter.

What are your experiences?

Here is mine:

My family's experiences both happened at Disneyland.

A couple of years ago on the first full day of our annual trip, my son was walking the last couple hundred yards to the park with some classmates. Somehow his feet got tangled up with the feet of the other kid and fell face first onto the concrete. Yeah, lovely. No need to describe the gory scene but we just needed to get to first aid as we knew it wasn't anything serious. Even though the CM at the gate didn't want to let us in despite the blood coming down my son's mouth she eventually agreed after several mins. So where is the positive part you ask?

The nurse at First Aid could not have been nicer. She helped calm him down and get him in a better mood. At the same time a security guard came in and saw my son. To cheer him up he gave him a pin, his first ever. Once he was finally in a ok enough mood to hit the park the nurse gave him a Golden Ticket for any ride he chose. I am thankful at times he chose Astro Blasters since he never needed to use it and still has that souvenir.

The other event was last year. 20 mins after rope drop, both of my sons and I were In a completely deserted Fantasyland. The ground was slick an my youngest slipped and fell. He was completely fine but as most three year olds will do, started crying because he fell. A CM saw what happened and kept walking toward Bibbidi Bobbiidi Boutique. While I wiped my sons tears and told him he was fine, the CM came back with a knight's sword for him to cheer him up. Needless to say that did more than anything i could do as Dad. Months later he still talks about how he got a sword from the nice lady.

Re: Cast Members Behaving Greatly - The Nice Things They Have Done

I would make sure to wrap your kids in bubble wrap for any future visits.

I have always run into really nice CMs at the Blue Bayou. The servers just seem to go above and beyond.

• Evil is Sexy

We almost always make a point to stop into City Hall or Guest Services and fill out a form for all the CM's we felt went above and beyond.

Our very first culprit was a young man working Fantasyland after hours for the AP Fantasyland event. We were desperately trying to find all the Hidden Mickey's in the area and he was very friendly, helpful, amusing and kind dealing with us. So much so, that he lent us a flashlight for Mr. Toad to find the one on the door and stood in the queue line with us earlier to find the one in the queue. Later, he was working Alice in Wonderland and good naturedly heckled us about the Mickey's there and then let us ride again because my husband didn't see it the first time. He was a hoot. I haven't seen him since, though.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

On January 8, I went to Disneyland for marching band to be in the Holiday parade. My best friend who is on colorguard threw up backstage before and after the parade and went home. We spent the day together so far, I was her personal tour guide. She is practically allergic to everything, but she wasn't allergic to the pepperoni pizza at Village Haus for lunch, it just made her sick.

So, now I was by myself at Disneyland, everyone else had their own group of friends, I've actually wanted to be a single rider for once. I can find hidden mickeys I've found already. I have always wanted to be on a ride when it breaks down. I was in line for the Matterhorn, when i was almost there I see there is a single rider line! So I go through and they put me right up to the gate to get on. Then, whaddoyaknow, the lights turn on from inside the ride and it is broken. I had to leave.

I go to Snow White, gotta love those dark rides! The lights turn on brightening the cottage and it is down. They said 20 minutes, so I said to myself, "I have no where else to go, this is nothing" so I stayed. It got back up and I enjoyed myself having my own cart!

I saw other band members at times and I tried to hide myself so that they would not see me alone. They all don't like me anyway. I love Disneyland and I would just make their ears fall off with my knowledge. Some are just mean and think Disneyland is stupid, I'm sorry I said that but that is what they say. (i love disneyland with all my heart).

We took a picture backstage (coolest stuff to see BTW) before the parade started and I had this special card to buy the picture. So I went down to the kodak store, it's dark outside and there was also a calendar! I've had disney calendars for 2 years, this is my chance to get one! Unfortunately, I didn't have money to buy both things. So I bought the picture.

I started telling my cashier about how i'm in the band, how my friend went home, rides broke down, all alone and stuff. He gave me a slip where I can go in the front of the line for a certain ride for a certain time period (days). He did the matterhorn, and gave it to me. I started crying with joy. He was a little angel. He said, "before you leave today, tell me how it goes!" I said, "Thank you so much! Thank you!" and I went.

I checked if the matterhorn was open before i got the slip and after it broke down. It was not open. I kept going back but it was never open. I had to leave to go home.

I still had the slip and I went back to the kodak store and told him the news. He was disappointed, but he made me smile that day. He said, "Maybe you can come back and use it" but I told him that I don't come here regularly, I don't have an annual pass anymore. He said, "we'll see". I told him thank you again, because that was the nicest thing a cast member did for me at Disneyland.

I kept the slip, so i could remember that day. I haven't been there since. I wish I did.

A really long time ago, during the winter, there was also another time(not a cast member) someone with reserved seats for Fantasmic! in the center up against the rail invited us over, because me and my sister were freezing in the back and we could not see anything. The daughter of the family started talking about "hidden mickeys" so that is when I first learned about them. She talked about Bones on Indy and the HM on the chest plate in POTC. The fire warmed us up and they were so nice. That was a cool experience to see

Last one, I promise. On New Year's 2010/2011, we were at Small World to countdown to the new year. We had our premium pass since Dec 17, we wanted to pick our first ride of the year! So we all picked Thunder Mountain (it is faster at night I believe) and so we run over to it. The cast members at the entrance had 3 extra fastpasses! It was perfect: me, my mom, and my sister! My mom said to the cast member, "this is gonna be a great year!" he said, "yes it will". So ya, we got free fastpasses, on new year's, for all three of us, for the first ride of the year! That was pretty cool

I apologize for this really really long reply, but I like telling stories. The link in my signature is about the animatronics coming to life when the park closes and they have adventures and fun together, please check it out
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

Every time a thread like this comes up I have to re-post the following story from 2011.

This did not happen to me, but this thread stirred a memory of a story I read on another Disney themed website a couple of years ago. There was an article written by author David Koenig that was about JungleCruise skippers relating their stories while working the attraction. There was this one story by skipperDavid Levy that touched me. I suggest you have a tissue handy before you read the following story...

I could write an entire book about the “interesting” moments, many of which I've shared with my fellow skips at the park. However, I’ve decided to share something far better than that—an event I’ve shared only on my last boat until now.

When I was new to the Jungle, maybe three months in, I was told to hold it up at No Man’s Land (the area we load VIPs and guest with special needs). I stood nonchalantly at the wheel expecting someone who needed a little more time entering the boat or maybe a celebrity. Instead, a little girl and her mother entered the boat and, at first glance, I didn’t see why they had been loaded ahead of the other guests. It took about 30 seconds to realize the little girl was blind. I kind of panicked. It wasn’t that I was put off by the kid at all—it was the fact that I had no idea how to bring the experience of the Jungle Cruise to this little girl. To buy a little more time, I started chatting with her. She was maybe 6 or 7 and heartbreakingly adorable. She revealed that the Jungle Cruise was her absolute favorite ride at Disneyland (yeah, thanks for the pressure, kid) and she was so glad she got to go on it before they headed home. Well, with guests on board, a “Hit it!” from the loaders, and still no idea how to handle the situation—a situation they don't really prepare you for at good ol' Disney U—I set off.

I immediately abandoned any directions. In other words, instead of saying, “Over there, we see such and such” or “Look at that! It’s a whatchamacallit!” I decided to be far more specific. “Wow, look to the right of the boat, everyone!” If the little girl was having trouble (keep in mind, she had total sight loss), I’d gently tap her on the shoulder and point her in the right direction. I don’t know why it was important to me that she knew where things were. Perhaps I figured it would help her later relive it in her mind the way I’m still fond of doing. In any event, she smiled each time I helped her out.

Next came the animals. Though I was cracking the requisite jokes, I focused on something I had never thought to mention: touch. I described the rough skin of the rhino; the long, curling trunk of the elephants; the soft fur of the lions; and the slippery, slimy skin of the hippos. I’m a writer, so it wasn’t difficult to find the words, but trying to fit it all in while still trying to entertain the rest of the crew? Nearly impossible. In fact, a number of the guests commented that the Jungle just wasn’t what it used to be as they exited. It started to get to me. I knew why I had done it, why I’d given such a sub-par trip, but it still didn’t feel so good knowing that I had ruined the ride for so many people for the sake of one little girl.

Ah, but that was before that little girl stood up with her mom. Her mother was crying, which confused me at first. She mouthed, “Thank you,” and I wasn’t even sure why. The little girl, beaming from ear to ear, looked at me and said the words I remember perfectly today: “Thanks. The Jungle never looked so good!” And with that, she gave me an unapologetic hug, turned to her mom, and together they left. I never saw them again, but I treasure the memory of helping a little girl see the Jungle more than any other experience I’ve had at Disneyland.

If that’s not proof that magic exists at Disneyland, specifically at the Jungle Cruise, I don’t know what to tell you.

Threads like this are one of my favorite things about Disney. So many people have such great things happen because of cast members or other guests.

Love it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

About two years ago for my sixteenth birthday I received the birthday pins that they give you with your name on it. So whenever CM'S see you they will say happy birthday to you.

But one CM went out of his way to pull me aside with my family, and gather a bunch of random people to clap, and sing a happy birthday 'rap' song to me. It was kind of corny, but really cool and it honestly made my day! It was just really cool how he stopped what he was doing just to gather around people and sing happy birthday to some random kid.

And also, this CM was a janitor.

• world class bilge rat

There isn't enough space to write all the good things the CMs at DL do. They are some of the coolest people on the entire planet.

I see something great just about every time I visit.

One of my favorites was just inside the castle. There are two small low planters with small trees. At the one on the Tomorrowland side was a young (8-9) girl balling her eyes out. Her Mother was trying to get the earrings out of her very red swollen earlobes. The family was gathered around talking to her, but I could not understand the language. After a minute I realised they were speaking in a very very thick Irish accent., and headed towards Tomorrowland.

A few minutes later I came by again from the Wishing Well side and she was still loudly crying with her blouse now wet with tears. I had just walked past Cinderella at the Wishing Well with no guests around. I turned around and told Cinderella she was needed inside the Castle, and she followed me back inside. We walked up the the girl and I introduced her to Cinderella. She was astonished, and shaking when Cinderella took her by the hand and walked with her over to the Aurora Statue and talked with her for just a minute . She had stopped crying and was now OK, Her Mother ran back to me and gave me a big hug and a thank you. This old guy started to tear up and quickly had to walk away.

• Disneyland Dreamin'

It's not too often that you find someone at a retail store telling you how to save money. On the last day of our recent trip, we were in the shops with a bagful of shirts, hats etc. We had waited until the last day so we didn't have to cart our stuff around all the time and we had been able to take our time shopping. A CM came up to us and asked if we needed help. She found a shirt we were looking for in a particular size and then asked us if we had eaten in the park that day. I thought it was a strange question but said yes and she told us to take the receipt with our items to the cashier. She said normally it only is valid until 1 or 2 pm but that the manager would OK it for 20% off our total. Keep in mind, we already had our things and were ready to go. We saved over $40 that night. Unfortunately, when we tried to find her to get her name and thank her, she had already left. I don't know who she was but I am grateful! What's really ironic is that our last day was the only day we had actually bought a meal at the park. Worked out perfectly. I have to wonder though if it is a widely known program or not as I never really noticed the coupon printed on the lunch receipt. I can't help but think that the CM might actually get heat for "reminding" guests of this? Anyway, just one of many helpful CM's that we encountered!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth View Post
    About two years ago for my sixteenth birthday I received the birthday pins that they give you with your name on it. So whenever CM'S see you they will say happy birthday to you.

But one CM went out of his way to pull me aside with my family, and gather a bunch of random people to clap, and sing a happy birthday 'rap' song to me. It was kind of corny, but really cool and it honestly made my day! It was just really cool how he stopped what he was doing just to gather around people and sing happy birthday to some random kid.

And also, this CM was a janitor.
    That was Quan.... He is great. During Musical Chairs he was across the street performing his Birthday song. The Mad Hatter could hear it and was confused. I walked over to Quan and told him he needed to show his song to a special person, and took him back the Hatter (The Hatter hates Birthday songs, His song is the Un-Birthday song.) I introduced them but the Hatter ran off before Quan could show him. Maybe next time.

Video Link: Quan at Disneyland Birthday Time Song. - YouTube

WOAH! Thank you for posting that! That is so awesome.

Funny story about the hatter also He is easily my favorite character at the park.

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

This is unrelated, but Zeth, I personally know Tom Morrow. I have not mentioned him in my stories yet, but you will see later on. He is a very smart person
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

Very smart, and very life like. Tell him I said hello

I have a story but I'm not going to name the cast member because it's frowned upon around here and I don't want to get anyone in trouble!

My daughters discovered pin trading on our last visit to Disneyland. We usually give them an allowance for souveniers on our trip. My younger daughter (who is 6) had a lanyard that was full of pins and she kept dropping them. We stopped in one of the stores in California Adventure and I noticed a pink "pin purse" and showed it to her. She decided right then and there that she wanted that purse no matter what! She was (and is still) so proud of her purse.

Every time we saw a Cast Member she would run up to them to trade. She would then have to show the Cast Member all of her pins and tell them about which ones she was collecting. I could tell from some of the Cast Members that they needed to be other places or doing something else but they all at least pretended to be interested.

We were waiting in line to ride Snow White's Scary Adventures when my daughter spotted a Cast Member sweeping up trash at the exit if Pinnochio's Daring Journey. She said "I'm going to see which pins he has to trade!" and ran over to him. We saw her look at his pins. Then we saw her sit down to show him all of her pins. My wife and I looked at each other and decided that we better hop out of line because we knew from past experience that it was going to take a while. My 12 year old daughter was pretty upset that we were getting out of line but she followed anyway.

When we got over to my daughter and the Cast Member she was excitedly showing him all of her pins and telling him all about the ones she was looking to collect. My older daughter made a typical teenage comment about how we had to hop out of line just so we could look at pins. The Cast Member finished looking at my daughters pins and then asked us if we really had to jump out of line to see him. We told him that we did but that it was no big deal.

He asked us to follow him. He took us through the exit of Snow White's Scary Adventures and talked to the Cast Member. He put us on one of the ride vehicles and said "That should make up for getting out of line!". My daughters were so excited! We've never had anything like that happen before. We rode the ride. When we got back to the exit the Cast Member was waiting for us. We thanked him profusely. He asked my daughters for the name of their favorite ride. They both said Splash Mountain. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a pass - the four of us could enter the FastPass line for Splash Mountain anytime we wanted! My girls were estatic! Of course we headed straight over to Splash Mountain. It was in the afternoon so the line was forever long. We walked right through the FastPass line and only had to wait about 5 minutes.

This sounds like such a little thing but it REALLY made my girl's day. They still talk about the Cast Member. This is Disney Magic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast