• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

How The Magic Kingdom Showcased The Magnificent Future Of Transportation in 1958

Vault Disney: How The Magic Kingdom Showcased The Magnificent Future Of Transportation in 1958

In 1958, the Disneyland episode “Magic Highway, U.S.A.” first aired.
    While some of the concepts were just pie-in-the-sky ideas for future technology, others proposals would trigger double-takes today, such as criss-crossing our national parks with cantilevered superhighways.

Those watching the video clip above will enjoy seeing personal rapid transit to deliver different members of the family to their desired destinations: “On entering the city the family separates; father to his office, mother and son to the shopping center,” as the automated vehicle splits in two on the screen.

The film was written and produced by Ward Kimball, who was largely responsible for the program’s early Tomorrowland-themed episodes.

• -

Re: How The Magic Kingdom Showcased The Magnificent Future Of Transportation in 1958

Weren't some clips of this shown in the Circlevision portion of the Rocket Rods queue?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Re: How The Magic Kingdom Showcased The Magnificent Future Of Transportation in 1958

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Weren't some clips of this shown in the Circlevision portion of the Rocket Rods queue?
    Clips from the program were shown on a screen in the room before the CircleVision room, if I remember correctly. The room that had the old attraction vehicles.