Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Compare Dland rides to Wdw.

What rides at Wdw has that Disneyland has that you think is better? Ex: Peter Pan at wdw I like more then Dland. Dlands potc I like more then wdw. Small world at Dland I enjoyed more then wdw. What do you guys think?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Compare Dland rides to Wdw.

"Cloned" rides better at DL:
    Pirates - IASW - Buzz Lightyear

"Cloned" rides better at WDW:
    Tower of Terror - Peter Pan - Pooh - Space Mountain - Splash Mountain - Haunted Mansion - Jungle Cruise - Astro Orbiter

Cloned rides that are a tie (for mostly obvious reasons):
    Big Thunder - Star Tours - Soarin' - Muppets - Bugs - Capt EO - Mermaid (although the WDW Queue does give it an advantage IMO) - Toy Story Midway Mania (again though, WDW has the better queue)

"Similar" rides that are better at DL:
    Indy > Dinosaur - GRR > KRR

"Similar" rides that are better at WDW:
    Test Track > RSR - Everest > Matterhorn

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

Disneyland was first
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, and Splash when it was properly upkept are the only WDW supreme imo.

Oh and comparing Matterhorn to EE is unfair.

• Shablagoo!

Hmm. I prefer Disneyland's Space Mountain over MKs. Other than that I am in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Hmm. I prefer Disneyland's Space Mountain over MKs. Other than that I am in agreement.

Walt was never at the other parks... so the magic will always be in Dland no matter what the differences are with the rides for me. Plus, when I went to WDW it was in the early 80's and it looked too big and not enough "greenery". However, I guess, after all these years WDW must be a lot better now.

• Tickets please...

I'm really not into comparing the various rides or parks to each other. The fact I haven't been to DLR yet isn't anything to do with it either as I have researched the park quite a bit. Though done in a fun way like the 'Dueling Disney' blog posts is okay.

I won't say DLR or WDW is better, as DLR is the park I really want to visit one day, and WDW is the one I've actually been to in the US I consider them both awesome.
    Last edited by Ezra; 05-11-2013 at 03:16 AM.

I guess I'll never understand the argument that Disneyland is automatically superior since it's the only park Walt Disney ever saw. What exactly does that take away from EPCOT Center or the Magic Kingdom attractions that were designed by the same geniuses who also worked on Disneyland? They're both worth experiencing, and I'd rather go to any of the WDW parks than California Adventure. I would argue that for the classics with significant differences, neither is superior to me and both are worth experiencing.

For instance, despite missing all the brilliant stuff at the beginning of the WDW Haunted Mansion, DL's is just as satisfying for me. WDW's Space Mountain doesn't have the music or the smoother ride that DL's has, but the ride is wilder and the old-school rickety nature of it is just so genuine and untarnished by the passage of time and Imagineers, I can't help but still love it as I turn into a 6 year-old again every time. Most would argue Pirates is better at DL. That said, while I prefer the ride in DL, the experience of the queue in WDW seems to replace the missing scenes from the beginning of DL's. It's one of the first queues (if not the first) that is so well-themed, it feels like an adventure just waiting in line.

DL is my favorite park, but Magic Kingdom is certainly worthy.

• World of Color

I thought the space mountain in WDW is pretty much the same layout they use for the Matterhorn

• Minion

Main Street - DL

Tomorrowland - MK
    Buzz - MK (longer)
    Space Mountain - MK (longer, plus those awesome drops and out-of-control feeling)
    Autopia/Speedway - DL
    Astro Orbiter - MK

Fantasyland - DL
    TLM - MK
    Pooh - MK
    Peter Pan - MK
    Tea Cups - DL
    Dumbo - MK
    Small World - MK (flooded sets)

Liberty Square/New Orleans Square - MK
    Haunted Mansion - MK

Adventureland - DL
    Pirates - DL
    Tiki Room - MK (queue, immersive location)
    Treehouse - MK

Frontierland - MK
    BTMRR - MK
    Splash Mountain - MK

Other Rides Around the Resort:
    TSMM - WDW
    Star Tours - WDW
    Tower of Terror - WDW
    Test Track/RSR - DLR
    Indy/Dinosaur - DLR
    Screamin/RnRC - DLR
    Soarin - DLR
    It's Tough to be a Bug - WDW
    MuppetVision - WDW
    Railroad - DL
    Fantasmic - DL
    Grizzly River vs. Kali - DL

Rides that DL has no comparison to, but should:
    The Great Movie Ride
    Lights, Motors, Action
    Kiliminjaro Safaris
    Country Bear Jamboree
    Carousel of Progress
    Peoplemover
    Mission: Space
    World Showcase
    Living with the Seas
    Spaceship Earth

Even though the spacing of WDW has people thinking the parks are sparse and less exciting, overall, there are more superiorities in cloned rides at WDW than DLR, especially when it comes to queues. DLR may have more, but when it comes to cloning they typically got things more right with WDW--the only one that kinda regressed IMO was Pirates, but from what I understand WDW's was built quickly and all it really excludes are pointless cave scenes and makes up for it with a stellar queue...so all in all, WDW just kinda stepped up most of the concepts they cloned from DL.
    Last edited by TylerDurden; 05-12-2013 at 07:12 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Here goes...

Main Street U.S.A.: Disneyland wins

Jungle Cruise: WDW because of the temple but I prefer Disneyland's

Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room: Disneyland wins

Tarzan's Treehouse vs Swiss Family Tree House: WDW wins

Indiana Jones vs Dinosaur: Disneyland wins

Pirates of the Caribbean: Disneyland wins

Haunted Mansion: tie (I like MK's updated interior but I prefer Disneyland's southern plantation and seasonal updates)

Splash Mountain: tie - MK's has the longer and better storyline but I prefer Disneyland's single file logs

Mark Twain vs Liberty Square Riverboat: Disneyland wins

Big Thunder Mountain: Disneyland wins due to more turns. WDW's is too slow and boring

"it's a small world": Disneyland wins

Peter Pan's Flight: WDW wins

Dumbo the Flying Elephant: WDW wins

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: WDW wins

Mad Tea Party: Disneyland wins (no ugly cover)

The Little Mermaid: WDW wins for the appropriate exterior and land

Autopia vs Tomorrowland Speedway: Disneyland wins

Matterhorn + Space Mountain vs MK's Space Mountain: Disneyland wins (MK's Space Mountain is essentially Disneyland's Matterhorn)

DL's Astro Orbitor vs MK's Astro Orbiter: WDW wins for height

Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters vs Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin: Disneyland wins

Star Tours: Disneyland wins (for not being a movie set)

Soarin' Over California vs Soarin': Disneyland wins for being in the right land

Hollywood Tower of Terror: WDW wins for loading and unloading and 5th dimension

Muppet Vision 3D: WDW wins (it's theirs)

It's Tough To Be a Bug 3D: WDW wins (tree of life queue takes the cake)

Radiator Springs Racers vs Test Track: Disneyland wins

Toy Story Midway Mania: Tie - It belongs in Paradise Pier but WDW's queue is neat

Grizzly River Run vs Kali River Rapids: Disneyland wins

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage vs Living Seas with Nemo and Friends: tie (epcot's ride system is preferred but the submarines offer enjoyment for guests who aren't on the ride)

Fantasmic!: Disneyland wins

Railroad: Disneyland wins for Grand Canyon diorama and Primeval World

Turtle Talk with Crush: WDW for being in an appropriate location

Total score
    Disneyland: 17
    WDW: 11
    Tie: 4
    Last edited by Coheteboy; 05-12-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Matterhorn + Space Mountain vs MK's Space Mountain: Disneyland wins (MK's Space Mountain is essentially Disneyland's Matterhorn)
    How is this possible? For one thing, Space Mountain takes up wayyyy more space but also it has three drops on each side while the Matterhorn has barely any. Plus the Matterhorn's shape makes it so all the turns toward the bottom get wider, while at Space Mountain they get tighter. Plus there's no space tunnels or anything on Matterhorn. I don't see how they could possibly be similar layouts. Shapewise maybe they look a bit alike but there's no comparison between layouts.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I remember distinctly the first time I rode the MK Space Mt back in the early 90s. Way before Micechat and the advent of fanboy websites and forums. So basically I had no idea what I was getting into when I first rode it. Now keep in mind I had been going to DL all my life and was so excited to get on the MK version especially once I noticed how big it was.

I remember being disappointed once I got off. First I was shocked at the tandem seating arrangement. It's great for Splash but to me it just seemed odd that they would put a Matterhorn style vehicle inside Space Mt. Ok so whatever. I get on the ride and was immediately shocked at how rickety the thing was. I always preferred SM over Matterhorn at DL for the sole reason that SM was so much smoother. So imagine the shock I felt when I realized this was just like riding a "Space Mountain version" of the Matterhorn! It was bigger for sure. But the ride was so uncomfortable it took away from any form of escape that DL's version had provided for me for so many years. Sure MK's had more drops but the ride was so uncomfortable I didn't care. DL's is smooth and while not having any drops except for one, it has a lot of sharp hair-pinned curves that to me is more what I think traveling in outer space would be like - sort of like having to dodge around asteroids and space debris. I know from Star Trek traveling in space could be rickety but to me I still assumed it to be a smooth experience. And MK's SM definitely did not provide that experience for me.

So does this mean I don't like the Matterhorn? It's not my favorite. I will ride it from time to time but I'm not running to get in it first thing in the morning. But if Disney decides ever to tear it down trust me I would be among the first to lie down in front of the bulldozers.

Hi...newcomer to MiceChat here, but not a newcomer to Disney by any stretch of the imagination! We have been to DLR a lot, and finally got to WDW last summer for the first time. We WILL go again -- we did not "see" everything we wanted to see at any of the 4 main parks there, and did not go to the water parks at all.

Everest and Matterhorn can't be compared. They're both great.

SM at each park -- frankly, we both preferred DL's. It was about the 3rd thing we rode at MK on our first day there and we kept thinking, "what's this MUSIC in here? It doesn't belong here!"

We couldn't compare BTMRR....WDW's was down on both of our visits to the MK last summer. We didn't try Splash, either, because we didn't want to get wet in the evenings. (One time, there was enough water coming out of the sky!)

Kilimanjaro Safaris -- well, in Animal Kingdom we immediately felt at home, though we'd never been there. It felt like we walked into the San Diego Zoo and then took a safari at the Zoo's "Safari Park" near Escondido. Come to find out, AK was designed in part by a former CEO of San Diego Zoological Society.

We didn't do too many of the attractions that WDW and DL both had, because of time limitations. So I won't comment on the rest of them.

Oh -- last summer, MK had my favorite parade, the Electrical Parade. LOVED it, but missed the Blue Fairy! I guess she is no longer a part of it, as she wasn't in the ElecPar when it was at DCA a few years back.

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    How is this possible? For one thing, Space Mountain takes up wayyyy more space but also it has three drops on each side while the Matterhorn has barely any. Plus the Matterhorn's shape makes it so all the turns toward the bottom get wider, while at Space Mountain they get tighter. Plus there's no space tunnels or anything on Matterhorn. I don't see how they could possibly be similar layouts. Shapewise maybe they look a bit alike but there's no comparison between layouts.

Disneyland's Matterhorn and MK's Space Mountain is comparable in the feel. They're both dual-track bumpy coasters that aren't very comfortable. You could compare Space Mountain vs Space Mountain and I'd still prefer the smoothness of Disneyland's. It's a preference.

I can't compare Expedition Everest to Matterhorn so WDW wins a point for simply having it. Disneyland has no equivalent.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast