Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Disneyland Resort 3rd theme park will only be 52 acres!

In 2008 former DLR President Ed Grier went on record saying Disney owned 88 acres for a third park.

Disneyland Resort president discusses expansion | disney, grier, disneyland - News - The Orange County Register

• film975

The Toy Story parking lot was original slated to be space for a third park. But I really don't want a third park at the Disneyland Resort. I would rather have a Star Wars land built at Disney Hollywood Studios in Florida. I wouldn't mind a Marvel ride at Disneyland in the near future. But a whole land no thank you.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Parking is already bad enough. Not sure how they could build a third gate and be able to provide parking spaces to accommodate increasing guests and CMs.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Attachment 30164 The area in red is the land Disney has control of. The grey area around the property is apartment complexes that I would not doubt that Disney would bulldoze in a second to build on.

Image from the OpenStreetMap. CC@SA
    OpenStreetMap
    you see the map , plus all the backstage space they need that is about 52 acres left!

• Sock Puppet

The land for the 3rd gate is 100 acres, Im sure part of that will be backstage, but the park should be about the size of DL or DCA.

• Banned User

This big issue is transportation from the Esplanade to the third gate, and allowing for buses and cars to have a drop off area for the third gate. CMs walk daily from former strawberry farm, but you can bet that guests won’t be asked to make this walk, especially Grand Californian guests. It would be a nightmare for CMs to try to give directions to thousands of guests each day.

The most reasonable plan is transportation from the Esplanade to the 3rd Gate area, most likely Garden Walk would be removed/drastically altered to allow for this to happen.

You buy a ticket for any of the three parks and this allows you to use the transportation system from the esplanade to the third gate. Ideas for a new transportation system, starting with the most feasible, include:

1. Mega People Mover system, though this would obviously need help/approval from the city, and power company. There are power lines that run up Disney Way, down Harbor and behind Carsland. If Disney wants to pony up the money to bury them, and then they could work out a deal with the power company to use this nice strip of land for a People Mover to Garden Walk, where guests could disembark. This strip of land is wide enough such that various trees could be planted to block views of the People Mover from the neighborhoods (and more importantly vice versa). Disney would like to put in some hotels at Garden Walk, and having a theme park next door would make them profitable.

2. Underground tunnel for Tram access. City approval, issues with air quality in tunnel, aesthetics.
    3. Buses. Major logistical issues, aesthetics, environmental issues.
    4. Subway? Could be done, but would cost $$$, and political issues.

A third theme park might be coming sooner rather than later as Disney wants to cement DLR as a full fledged resort destination. Is it? DCA’s Carsland is a big draw, but they want DLR to have so many offerings that eventually folks won’t bat an eye at staying 2 or 3 days on property, plus they don’t want tourists to skip DLR for Potterland. Not saying that the bulldozers will be rolling a year from now, but the success of Carsland has opened a lot of eyes to possibilities in Anaheim for expansion.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 05-11-2013 at 04:16 PM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    They even made separate Annual passes for both Disneyland and DCA and charged the same price for those too. So if you wanted to park hop, you would have to purchase two annual passes
    While it is true that they originally had separate annual passes for each park, one did not have to buy two of them to park hop. They had a more expensive one with hopping ability.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

The information in that link said the info came from Screamscape, which can be unreliable.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    The land for the 3rd gate is 100 acres, Im sure part of that will be backstage, but the park should be about the size of DL or DCA.
    If the Disney property map referenced in this thread is accurate, then the area that is currently available is indeed approximately 52 acres. For perspective, in order to get approximately 100 acres the large housing developments to the south and east must be added (not including the Best Western property on Harbor & Orangewood). On the other hand, also for perspective is that Knott's Berry Farm (the park itself) is no larger than 52 acres (may actually be slightly smaller) but still manages to pack quite a bit in there, and Disneyland wasn't much larger when it first opened (not counting the outlying backstage areas), for that matter.

• All-American

I ran all three sites through EarthPoint for GoogleEarth. I traced all three parks' onstage areas into Google Earth polygons, and had their KML files converted into acres.

Disneyland: 91.1390 acres (including backstage showbuildings for onstage attractions, e.g. Indiana Jones and Pirates)

DCA: 63.5824 acres (including Cars Land and empty HPB buildings, not including Grand Californian, parking lot behind Cars Land, Paradise Pier parade building, or backstage access roads)

Strawberry Fields/Toy Story Lot: 81.0126 acres (although this will probably be somewhat reduced by the park's own backstage areas)

I can post screenshots for my work if anyone would like to see them.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

They already have plans drawn up to build a big parking structure on the old Grand Hotel lot - now the surface "Puumba Parking Lot" and Disney recently bought the now-vacant industrial land to the north of it, that's another 9,000 - 12,000 parking spaces depending on how high they go. And they could dig a hole and go down one or two more levels underground, too.

And there's room to the north of Mickey & Friends Structure (10,000 and change now) to add on another 4,000 - 6,000 spaces and bring the total there up to 14,000 - 16,000. Between the two, that would allow them to build out the entire K-Lot and Toy Story Lot land with the Third Theme Park.

The condos surrounding the backside of the existing Third Theme Park land will eventually decide to move on, about the time that the new park needs to expand lands. There will always be a few people who will hear a pin drop next door and complain about the noise, and they'll lead the exodus.

It'll be like the land that had all the cheap motels around Disneyland's Parking Lot, they bought early and thought they had a gold mine, but Disney keeps most of the gold in their own pockets. They all sold out over the years when they wanted to cash out and retire.

They don't need a whole lot of "Backstage" space at TTP dedicated to maintenance if they make use the services already behind Disneyland for the paint and rehab shops - They mainly need a Parade Warehouse to store and charge their floats, and a bit of rehearsal space for the parade performers to prep and warm up. That could be partially underground too, build a big rehearsal hall underneath the warehouse, and offices over it.

The main Receiving Warehouse behind DL is big enough (or can be expanded vertically...) for all the food, drink and consumables, and they can send small trucks over with their daily needs.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I ran all three sites through EarthPoint for GoogleEarth. I traced all three parks' onstage areas into Google Earth polygons, and had their KML files converted into acres.

Strawberry Fields/Toy Story Lot: 81.0126 acres (although this will probably be somewhat reduced by the park's own backstage areas)
    To double-check, I just did some measurements based on a Google aerial photo, and came up with approximately 79.4 acres for the land available for the potential third gate, which is in close agreement with your figure. Good catch--it seems that the map of Disney properties on which the premise of this thread is based is quite a bit off. So it's neither 52 acres nor 100 acres, but pretty close to the middle of those two, and that should be sufficient for an additional theme park.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    The condos surrounding the backside of the existing Third Theme Park land will eventually decide to move on, about the time that the new park needs to expand lands. There will always be a few people who will hear a pin drop next door and complain about the noise, and they'll lead the exodus.
    The surrounding housing developments comprise about 48 acres total, by the way. Hypothetically speaking, there could someday be enough space to make the third park the largest of the three.

• Under that tree again!

Anaheim has already approved a third gate on the Strawberry Fields. They made an exception for Disney to build temporary parking on it, the Toy Story Lot. There is no date for them to build the park there. Anaheim accepted conditions that Disney wanted under terms that the Strawberry Fields will become the 3rd gate.

The only question is when? With the acquisitions of Marvel and Lucas Films there is more fuel for the rumor fires.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

LOL.. when I read this headline I was like wwwhhatt the frak!

And then I laughed a bit harder when I read that Avatar would be making a presence in this "third gate".

Oh Avatar... you're just going to be everywhere these days.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast