Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• A Happy Haunt

Re: Disneyland Resort 3rd theme park will only be 52 acres!

I'm ok with parking as it is. I feel it is safer than offsite and it's included with my annual pass.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    In terms of the third park, I'm hoping its an adventure park featuring Marvel, Star Wars and maybe even some Avatar. The park could be Disneys answer to Islands of Adventure.
    I really LOVE IOA and how its done. It does feel like the perfect mix of a Disney style park with a thrill park mentality! I think its the best of both worlds and if a third gate, which I dont see happening at least another decade, does come some day it would be a great model to throw in its third properties like Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar etc into one themed lands they did with CL basically. They can also throw in other ideas that people always seem to clamor for like a villians section for example! For some reason, I always saw a land based around Fantasia with sorcerer Mickey the focal point of it and some interesting rides. And yes there will be an area to devoted to Pixar of course (of course). Who knows what kind of films they will have by then to include.

And of course DL can still have a Marvel or SW ride, but the whole lands would go to the third park kind of the way there are still Pixar rides at DL but they have ABL and CL in DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingdolt View Post
    DCA has the lake that seems to take up a lot of space, right? And the boardwalk, both considered wasted space... To me. Love DCA btw. I cannot wait for the 3rd gate.
    Well the lagoon use to feel like wasted space but thanks to WOC, its now well used space and one of the most trafficed area at night! But I WISH they came up with a WOC from day one and I'm sure the lagoon and how you watch the show couldve been done very differently from day one with maybe a 360 degree show and a better viewing area.

As for the boardwalk area, for me anyway, it went from one worse areas in the park to now one of the best. I would say its probably my second favorite land now outside of CL. And it is the land with the most attractions now and holds 3 of the best in the park.

But yeah I NEVER thought I would say it but I love DCA too now! Opening it was the worse Disney park I been to and now its my second favorite gate after TDS! How that happen lol.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    While what you say is all well and good, remember Disney is a business. Making money off parking is income for them. Disney would love for all the roads to be jammed packed all the time. More guests = more $
    However, since parking isn't Disney's main source of revenue, they can let the parking rates remain lower than what a company whose only source of revenue would charge.

An outsourced parking company could potentially charge whatever they wanted, charging more for weekends or event dates. And would they accept AP parking passes?

I would like to see DCA'S phase 2 makeover first than the 3rd gate.

Also, I would like to see some parts of DL upgraded(tomorrowland, innoventions, pooh adventures, splash mountain) before the third gate.

And, talking about the size... For me, size is not all that important. DCA is "only" 67 acres and is a much much much better park than DHS(135 acres) and AK(500 acres). Also, Disneyland is 85 acres and is the best magic kingdom style park and the second smallest. Hong Kong Disneyland is only 68 acres and, after the expansion, is looking great. I would say that, considering that mainetance and attractions list, HKDL is in the same level of Magic Kingdom, if not better. The most important thing, for me, at least, is attention to detail, immersive theming and attractions with quality.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Attachment 30164 The area in red is the land Disney has control of. The grey area around the property is apartment complexes that I would not doubt that Disney would bulldoze in a second to build on.

Image from the OpenStreetMap. CC@SA
    OpenStreetMap
    Yeah, they would bulldoze them IF they could get them. In their last attempt to acquire the properties, they ran up against a wall.

If they DON'T get the properties, they potential for the third park is greatly reduced as they will have to provide more buffer space and meet stricter sound controls than either Disneyland or DCA. That means that, along with backstage requirements, there will be less actual space available for guests.

Universal the leader?
    If Disney were to do what you suggested, then I suppose that Universal would have been leading the way--they do something new, and then Disney follows along.

Your joking right?
    No. Are you?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    If Disney were to do what you suggested, then I suppose that Universal would have been leading the way--they do something new, and then Disney follows along.
    If Disney saw a challenge coming (Spiderman) and took appropriate action (creating an attraction that exceeded Spiderman), then there would be no issue that Disney was still the field leader.

Yes, Disney still maintains the top overall theme park leadership title. However, in the inner workings that kept them at the top of the technological attraction level, Disney failed even to RESPOND to Spiderman, let alone out do it.

Then Universal came out with Harry Potter (that Imagineering had actually developed a concept for that Universal apparently took advantage of). ANd Disney AGAIN failed to even respond to.

Disney's big attempt to counter Universal's attraction deluge was Carsland. Unfortunately, outside of it's HUGE outstanding rockwork, the attractions were little more than expanded versions of versions they've used elsewhere. They failed to even catch up to Spiderman, let alone harry Potter.

Universal is on a creative roll now. Disney's only apparent counter is the secret Avatar land for Animal Kingdom. Unfortunately, that secrecy has led to speculation that is counter to what I believe they would like people to think. Instead of people anticipating the land with bated breath, looking forward to it's opening, apparently most are suspicious as to whether the concept is worth the effort and not expecting the land to be of significant interest if it does open.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Yes, Disney still maintains the top overall theme park leadership title. However, in the inner workings that kept them at the top of the technological attraction level, Disney failed even to RESPOND to Spiderman, let alone out do it.
    I don't care much about that--I care much more about ideas.

Universal is on a creative roll now. Disney's only apparent counter is the secret Avatar land for Animal Kingdom.
    Not that I like the actual Avatar movie, but at least it seems like a better fit than anything from Marvel, which suits Universal just fine, for comparison (all my own opinion, of course).

On the other hand, creating a Marvel theme park as the third gate would help protect Disneyland, so I wouldn't necessarily be against the idea, for that reason alone. I was just pointing out that something along those lines would help cement Disney as the follower and Universal the leader in theme park development in some fundamental ways (how much money each may rake in notwithstanding). That is natural, considering Disney's ever-increasing propensity to be a seller of brands as opposed to a creator of content, at the corporate level.

• Unhelpful User

Yeah, they would bulldoze them IF they could get them. In their last attempt to acquire the properties, they ran up against a wall.

If they DON'T get the properties, they potential for the third park is greatly reduced as they will have to provide more buffer space and meet stricter sound controls than either Disneyland or DCA. That means that, along with backstage requirements, there will be less actual space available for guests.
    And that's why I said only 52 acres which equals to about 4 lands

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    As for the backstage space...no one has suggested moving TDA; which, between the Frank Gehry designed building, the TDA parking structure and the TDA visitor lot, takes up a ginormous amount of space for a bunch of white-collars' who rarely set foot in the onstage or ops areas. That space could be better used to running Disneyland directly, and the suits can be moved to whatever anonymous corporate building somewhere else. Even now, when they are on site, they run the resort remotely, so what difference does it make where they are?
    Great idea! Especially when you consider that the TDO building at WDW is located near Downtown Disney and nowhere near any of the parks. It's a waste of space for corporates when the CMs needs that space more.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

I have to say that If Disney is going to do anything they are going to need a foot bridge across Harbor. I mean it very dangerous on that little crosswalk. I had to cross it on Gumball Rally and there is not enough room on the pathway.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Minion

I don't care much about that--I care much more about ideas.
    Ideas mean NOTHING if they aren't implemented. And it appears the either Disney (Imagineering) hasn't even been able to come up with significant ideas in the first place, or Disney management is unwilling to support any good ideas they do manage to come up with.

Not that I like the actual Avatar movie, but at least it seems like a better fit than anything from Marvel, which suits Universal just fine, for comparison (all my own opinion, of course).

On the other hand, creating a Marvel theme park as the third gate would help protect Disneyland, so I wouldn't necessarily be against the idea, for that reason alone. I was just pointing out that something along those lines would help cement Disney as the follower and Universal the leader in theme park development in some fundamental ways (how much money each may rake in notwithstanding). That is natural, considering Disney's ever-increasing propensity to be a seller of brands as opposed to a creator of content, at the corporate level.
    I'm neither an Avatar OR Marvel fan. IMHO, I think that both deals were mistakes. Avatar should never have been taken on and, even though AK MAY be the "best fit" for it, I don't really think that Disney will be willing to spend the money it would actually take to do it justice (if that's even possible).

Marvel on the other hand, does have some potential as a Studio Tour property. It's very uncertain as to whether it could actually maintain an entire park though.

And then there's the Star Wars property.

Yes, you're right that Disney has become more of a brand broker than the creative force it once was.

• Seeker of Fun

Can someone point me to a thread with information on what exactly Phase 2 for DCA might look like? I've read so many different things, it's hard to know what exactly might be in store. It almost sounds like it may be more cosmetic..is that correct?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Officially, there is no PHASE II for DCA, it's still in the blue sky phase, and may or may not be budgeted.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast