What type of paint used on Main Street Buildings?

I know it has been asked before on multiple sites. (i googled the question) But no one seems to really know.
    TOO MANY PEOPLE CHIME IN THAT DON'T KNOW, BUT FEEL THEY CAN ANSWER ANYWAY, with answers like: i think it is acrylic enamal, i think it is Sinclair, i think it must be oil based, etc. etc. (not helpfull) Don't need to know that Home Depot has Disney colors, etc.

1. Brand, such as Sherwin-Willliams, Dupont, etc.
    2. Type, oil-based, epoxy, automotive, marine, etc.
    3. Name, such as Imron, dulux, etc.
    4. And any sub-type of product that it might be, such as a special blend of marine paint or automotive paint, etc.

I would really love to hear from someone who knows what it is EXACTLY and where to get it! No guesses please. I have a backyard building that I built, and one side of it is designed like a couple of the buildings on Main Street. The Hotel Marceline and the Nestle Ice Cream (they stradle the lockers just off Main Street. I have painted it twice and the wood trim degrades so fast its not even funny. I figure it would be a better idea to use whatever type of paint Disneyland uses and it would probably hold up for years. Even if it is expensive it would be better than painting every summer.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: What type of paint used on Main Street Buildings?

California has gotten Very Picky about solvents and 'Volatile Organic Compounds' in paint so I can guarantee you that for the most part it isn't oil-based paint anymore. You only get to use that in a few spots where absolutely nothing else will work.

Catalyzed Polyurethane ("Epoxy") paint is a possibility for certain things like railings, where they want to open the ride the next morning. (Two part paint - mix in the catalyst and the timer starts, it WILL set in 45 to 60 minutes and be totally hardened in 2 to 4 hours - whether it's on the building or vehicle, or still in the spray gun.)

Most of it is probably a commercial grade alkyd or water-base, after very extensive prep-work filling and priming the wood underneath - takes a lot of elbow grease to do it right. And not cheap paint, you really do get what you pay for.

Call Disneyland (714/781-4000) and ask the Operator for the Maintenance Dept., or stop into City Hall. They probably won't give you the color codes, but they should name the suppliers and product lines. They're pretty good about that.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan View Post
    Even if it is expensive it would be better than painting every summer.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Fine Paints of Europe

We used these water based acrylic paints for applications which experience heavy use . . . and they hold up pretty well and have a nice sheen. They are expensive, but if you're painting every year I would go with these. You will need to put up a construction tarp around the paint job to keep the dust out (if it must look perfect). The wood underneath must be in good condition, and preferably has been sanded down and the old primer and paint completely removed. Then use their primer and follow the instructions. Not sure if it comes in go away grey or no see 'um green, ;-).

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This site may be of help:

Historic Collection - Sherwin-Williams

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan View Post
    I have a backyard building that I built, and one side of it is designed like a couple of the buildings on Main Street. The Hotel Marceline and the Nestle Ice Cream (they stradle the lockers just off Main Street.
    Would love to see a picture of your project!

• Mrs. J. Depp

I heard that they painted the Main Street buildings with marine/boat paint because it lasts a long time and is more fade resistant. Not sure if that's true or not.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!